BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

• Moderation Lead
27 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Nixon tweeted that there would be no point in us signing Morrison as he wouldn't get in our team. Closest thing to a compliment he has ever tweeted about the club. 

There's no point him being a journalist any more, given his recent success rate.....

• Like 1

Looks to me like they are just after back up players rather than ones to immediately challenge the established ones or add instant quality to the first 11.  The strongest starting 11 pretty much picks itself aside from TMs constant tinkering and rotating so it'll be as you were I think with maybe the back ups mostly being our own signings now instead of loans.

Squad will be a bit stronger maybe but not much different quality wise.

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Looks to me like they are just after back up players rather than ones to immediately challenge the established ones or add instant quality to the first 11.  The strongest starting 11 pretty much picks itself aside from TMs constant tinkering and rotating so it'll be as you were I think with maybe the back ups mostly being our own signings now instead of loans.

Based on what? The fact we are relatively slow signing players suggests to me that Mowbray is trying to get the right ones, players who will improve the starting 11. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Based on what? The fact we are relatively slow signing players suggests to me that Mowbray is trying to get the right ones, players who will improve the starting 11. 

We'll see, I think they are spreading what money they have in bolstering the squad. Maybe reading too much into the comments as is the norm around here but the tone goes from 'adding quality' - 'hit the ground running' - 'improve on what we have' to 'strengthen in all areas' -'strength in depth' type comments.

Doesn't mean they don't have offers in for players but the longer it goes those deals shrink away and I think the market we are in with the spending we can do it'll end up with a few more Rothwell type deals than a Dack or a Mulgrew.

Positive side is they are still bringing potential good players in whereas in the past it's just been nothing then a bit of a panic scramble to get bodies for the sake of it.

• Like 1

Looking like we are out of the market at around the 2 Million mark...a slightly frustrated sounding interview with Mowbray today?

The majority of us will be frustrated if the manager is not financially backed but to be honest i feared the worst with the silence after the Pune meeting...a case of sorry but as you were?

Sounds like loan players the way to go.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

We'll see, I think they are spreading what money they have in bolstering the squad. Maybe reading too much into the comments as is the norm around here but the tone goes from 'adding quality' - 'hit the ground running' - 'improve on what we have' to 'strengthen in all areas' -'strength in depth' type comments.

Doesn't mean they don't have offers in for players but the longer it goes those deals shrink away and I think the market we are in with the spending we can do it'll end up with a few more Rothwell type deals than a Dack or a Mulgrew.

Positive side is they are still bringing potential good players in whereas in the past it's just been nothing then a bit of a panic scramble to get bodies for the sake of it.

I reckon we will have at least 4 new signings starting against Ipswich.Davenport, 2 wingers and possibly even a striker. Keep the faith! 

We don't need a Dack or Mulgrew as we already have them :) I think our big outlay will be on a striker 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

I reckon we will have at least 4 new signings starting against Ipswich.Davenport, 2 wingers and possibly even a striker. Keep the faith! 

A quid says we might make 4 in total, which is sense because we are replacing ones lost anyway BUT 4 newbies won't be staring v Ipswich ?

Just now, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Looking like we are out of the market at around the 2 Million mark...a slightly frustrated sounding interview with Mowbray today?

The majority of us will be frustrated if the manager is not financially backed but to be honest i feared the worst with the silence after the Pune meeting...a case of sorry but as you were?

Sounds like loan players the way to go.

Are you referring to Bauer? I didn't expect us to spend 2 million on a player, but I wouldn't read anything into our budget because we won't spend 2 million on a back up centre half. I would imagine trying to get deals done is frustrating, whether you are Mowbray or Mourinho. Maybe he just doesn't like the sun :) 

We have signed 2 good young players and there is loads of time left. I am not sure what you mean by silence after Pune? What did you want/expect exactly? 

Just now, tomphil said:

A quid says we might make 4 in total, which is sense because we are replacing ones lost anyway BUT 4 newbies won't be staring v Ipswich ?

A quid it is :) Big spenders here

4 new starters V Ipswich. I probably should have said starting or coming off the bench ?

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

22 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I’ve got the same impression from what Mowbray has said in the past. It sounds like the team that won promotion will be given a chance next season and players will be brought in to challenge them for spots, rather than replace them.

It seems like sensible squad management to me, especially when you have such a good team spirit throughout the squad. Thanks to iFollow I got to watch Rovers games for the first time since we got relegated from the Premier League, and I have to say I love this current team. I know that a lot of them may not be cut out for the Championship, but I hope that they do manage to up their game and do well next season.

The area where we obviously need to sign players ready to come into the first 11 is up front and on the wings, where we are seriously lacking in players. The quality in midfield was a bit worrying as Evans was poor until the last few games last season and Gladwin and Whittingham were unimpressive, but I think the signings of Rothwell and Davenport addres that problem. The rest of the side I’m not worried about that much.

• Like 1

A quid it is :) Big spenders here

4 new starters V Ipswich. I probably should have said starting or coming off the bench ?

Ha ha you moan about it only being a quid then move the goal posts !!!!

All bets are off ?

• Like 1

Just now, Miker said:

I’ve got the same impression from what Mowbray has said in the past. It sounds like the team that won promotion will be given a chance next season and players will be brought in to challenge them for spots, rather than replace them.

It seems like sensible squad management to me, especially when you have such a good team spirit throughout the squad. Thanks to iFollow I got to watch Rovers games for the first time since we got relegated from the Premier League, and I have to say I love this current team. I know that a lot of them may not be cut out for the Championship, but I hope that they do manage to up their game and do well next season.

The area where we obviously need to sign players ready to come into the first 11 is up front and on the wings, where we are seriously lacking in players. The quality in midfield was a bit worrying as Evans was poor until the last few games last season and Gladwin and Whittingham were unimpressive, but I think the signings of Rothwell and Davenport addres that problem. The rest of the side I’m not worried about that much.

Agree and by no means am I criticising because they are at least still putting obvious sensible thinking to the ones they've got in so far even if they are lower price signings etc.

I've every faith they've had some good targets and made some bids but I also think we'll be priced out of a lot of them maybe even by so called lesser clubs in the Champ. The money is getting silly at that level.

TM has talked about target lists, A,B,C so you have to wonder how many B's we are now at and how many C's he might have to settle for in the end.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We don't need a Dack or Mulgrew as we already have them :) I think our big outlay will be on a striker 

Needs to be on an exciting winger who can give us a big threat, Maddison would be ideal. Someone who can give us pace and flair in a position where we are totally bereft of anyone.

Do need a striker too to be fair but if Graham was starting the season id be moderately happy.

• Like 1

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Needs to be on an exciting winger who can give us a big threat, Maddison would be ideal. Someone who can give us pace and flair in a position where we are totally bereft of anyone.

Do need a striker too to be fair but if Graham was starting the season id be moderately happy.

Ah ya, I wouldn't begrudge Graham a start at all, but we need someone a bit more mobile I think. If we get the right wingers in though, the reborn and rejuvenated Graham could be very effective. 

25 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Looking like we are out of the market at around the 2 Million mark...

I feel there is a difference between being priced out of the market at 2 million for any player, and not being willing to pay 2 million for a League One centre half with 12 months left on their deal.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

Will anyone leave do people think? Some of the under 23s will definitely go on loan. Then after that, I'd say Gladwin might leave if there are any takers. Whittingham too if there were takers. I honestly think Whittingham will be a useful player to have around if he stays fit, so not too bothered about that. We are going to have a big enough squad. Great for competition. 

It's great that we don't have to live in fear of players been sold this summer. Having said that, I reckon a sizable bid will come in for Dack. Probably(hopefully) not enough to be accepted though. Realistically this will be his last year in a Rovers shirt though. We may enjoy it. 

That's why Armstrong would be good signing because he can cover about 3 positions in attack because he has some pace and is quite direct. I'm a big believer in horses for courses and would prefer genuine wingers with pace but you can get away with Armstrong there, also a counter attacking set up with him spearheading is one that wasn't used enough imo.

He'd be worth a bit of investment on that lot alone.

• Like 6

That's why Armstrong would be good signing because he can cover about 3 positions in attack because he has some pace and is quite direct. I'm a big believer in horses for courses and would prefer genuine wingers with pace but you can get away with Armstrong there, also a counter attacking set up with him spearheading is one that wasn't used enough imo.

He'd be worth a bit of investment on that lot alone.

I reckon we are working on that. I would also imagine our valuations are far apart. I can see it happening with a hefty sell on and/or buy back option. Could go right to the end of the window though. The good thing is that we are his preferred destination, that counts for a lot. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Agree and by no means am I criticising because they are at least still putting obvious sensible thinking to the ones they've got in so far even if they are lower price signings etc.

I've every faith they've had some good targets and made some bids but I also think we'll be priced out of a lot of them maybe even by so called lesser clubs in the Champ. The money is getting silly at that level.

TM has talked about target lists, A,B,C so you have to wonder how many B's we are now at and how many C's he might have to settle for in the end.

Or we could be still in target A's list cos Mowbray has show patience and calm and not panick like some on are doing imo. 

Money is there but Mowbray is being careful and not spending on a over price player