BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Thursday deadline.

• Backroom
24 minutes ago, neophox said:

Sam Gallagher is available... to compete with Graham! Would fit our system as lone striker!

Under a proper manager too.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Will anyone leave do people think? Some of the under 23s will definitely go on loan. Then after that, I'd say Gladwin might leave if there are any takers. Whittingham too if there were takers. I honestly think Whittingham will be a useful player to have around if he stays fit, so not too bothered about that. We are going to have a big enough squad. Great for competition. 

It's great that we don't have to live in fear of players been sold this summer. Having said that, I reckon a sizable bid will come in for Dack. Probably(hopefully) not enough to be accepted though. Realistically this will be his last year in a Rovers shirt though. We may enjoy it. 

The 2 I would probably want to see leave are Hart and Caddis. They are too far behind the other players in their positions.

Gladwin will probably go if there are any takers, but given our lack of attacking players at the moment, I wouldn’t be against giving him another chance.

Whittingham has a lot of competition in his position so I’m not sure if there’s sense keeping him. His experience may be handy to have around the squad though.

• Like 1

Just now, Miker said:

The 2 I would probably want to see leave are Hart and Caddis. They are too far behind the other players in their positions.

Gladwin will probably go if there are any takers, but given our lack of attacking players at the moment, I wouldn’t be against giving him another chance.

Whittingham has a lot of competition in his position so I’m not sure if there’s sense keeping him. His experience may be handy to have around the squad though.

I forgot about Caddis. I doubt he will go, unless maybe a loan to League 1.

When did you see Hart playing? I would say he will be with the under 23s or out on loan , going off last season anyway. The fact that he went to Rochdale and played so little does not bode well 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

38 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I dont see us in for Maddison at 2.5 million pounds if we are in for Armstrong. Plus the need for another winger either Kent or Chapman. 

We don't even know if Armstrong, Kent or Chapman will sign, so how is it not needed? 1 winger is not sufficient for our squad, considering we currently have none bar Conway (and players who can do a job there but arent naturals), there are 2 wings and we'd need at least 2, then cover.

Maddison is an excellent suggestion, Chapman is prone to injury and Mowbray doesnt see him as a potential starter and we need players that can improve our first team anyway. We need to be looking at players that improve us, not too much in the bargain bin, and making do with players who arent naturals in their position. Kent presumably would be a loan, maybe get a loan winger as well as a permanent signing like Maddison, but Kent struggled at Bristol City last season to the extent that he was dropped from the squad, even though that caused Bristol City to pay money to Liverpool for not picking him. Nothing concrete that we want him anyway so its probably not true.

30 minutes ago, neophox said:

Sam Gallagher is available... to compete with Graham! Would fit our system as lone striker!

No thanks. Certainly not capable as a loan striker, far too weak and not good enough at holding up the ball and bringing players into play. Im sure Mowbray will look at better.

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We don't even know if Armstrong, Kent or Chapman will sign, so how is it not needed? 1 winger is not sufficient for our squad, considering we currently have none bar Conway (and players who can do a job there but arent naturals), there are 2 wings and we'd need at least 2, then cover.

Maddison is an excellent suggestion, Chapman is prone to injury and Mowbray doesnt see him as a potential starter and we need players that can improve our first team anyway. We need to be looking at players that improve us, not too much in the bargain bin, and making do with players who arent naturals in their position. Kent presumably would be a loan, maybe get a loan winger as well as a permanent signing like Maddison, but Kent struggled at Bristol City last season to the extent that he was dropped from the squad, even though that caused Bristol City to pay money to Liverpool for not picking him. Nothing concrete that we want him anyway so its probably not true.

No thanks. Certainly not capable as a loan striker, far too weak and not good enough at holding up the ball and bringing players into play. Im sure Mowbray will look at better.

Iv heard from someone else (not nixon) that we have enquired about Kent.He was poor at Bristol last season but maybe that was down to his first half season in Germany.He was good in his previous loan spells

• Backroom
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I dont see us in for Maddison at 2.5 million pounds if we are in for Armstrong. Plus the need for another winger either Kent or Chapman. 

Have I missed something linking us with Armstrong? Mowbray seemed quite dismissive of him before 

On 05/07/2018 at 13:20, Angry_Pirate said:

I just can't find myself getting too excited about young PL loans for a season.

Just racking my brain and how many players have we ever signed on loan (and NOT signed permanently) that have gone on to promising careers?

(Cariney, King, Rudy obvs don't count as they were made permanent, and players like Marcus Babbel etc were already established - even Santa Cruz and Bentley were garbage when they came back!)

I came up with Michael Keane... Any others?

Not exactly a direct answer but possibly some interesting and surprisingly “successful” ex-loanees - in terms of their future careers if not necessarily honours.

Going back over the last 20 years...

Anthony Modeste - TJ Quanjian £26.1m (£4.1m Cologne, £2.7m Hoffenheim)

Florent Sinama-Pongolle - £9m Atletico Madrid (Huelva £3.6m)

Franco Di Santo - £5.4m to Schalke (£2.6m to Wigan)

Karim Rekik (who??) £4.5m Marseille (£2.25m Hertha Berlin)

Carlos Villanueva - £3.25m to Al-Shabab

Danny Simpson - £2.25m to Leicester (PL winner)

Eyal Bercovic £2.1m to Man City

Martin Andreson - £1.8m FK Brann

Mame Biram Diouf - £1.6m to Hannover 96

Shabani Nonda - £1.2m to Galatasaray

David Jones (Promoted with Bumley)

Colin Kazim Richard (Feyenoord, Celtic)

15 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

On Twitter, a Birmingham fan is saying he cost them >£40k pw last season in wages & loan fees...?

2.5 million loan fee brokered by Darren Dein yes David’s son and family friend and ex SEM colleague of Jerome of Barnet

Gallagher isn't going to get a look in at Southampton I wouldn't have thought and I thought I'd heard he was approaching the final year of his contract. If so I'd expect he'd be available for purchase.

Young, a presence up front, knows the club, knows the Championship, scored a few in a poor struggling side last time round. Could do a lot worse.

Speculate to accumulate. At his age barring an injury disaster the likelihood is he will increase in value which should tick the Venky criteria.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Looking like we are out of the market at around the 2 Million mark...a slightly frustrated sounding interview with Mowbray today?

The majority of us will be frustrated if the manager is not financially backed but to be honest i feared the worst with the silence after the Pune meeting...a case of sorry but as you were?

Sounds like loan players the way to go.

Didn't Mowbray say that the owners were enthusiastic and he had to reign them in as he wanted to build sensibly.

In which case, he shouldn't be frustrated as the money was apparently there if he wanted it!

Allegedly.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

Just now, Stuart said:

Not exactly a direct answer but possibly some interesting and surprisingly “successful” ex-loanees - in terms of their future careers if not necessarily honours.

Going back over the last 20 years...

Anthony Modeste - TJ Quanjian £26.1m (£4.1m Cologne, £2.7m Hoffenheim)

Florent Sinama-Pongolle - £9m Atletico Madrid (Huelva £3.6m)

Franco Di Santo - £5.4m to Schalke (£2.6m to Wigan)

Karim Rekik (who??) £4.5m Marseille (£2.25m Hertha Berlin)

Carlos Villanueva - £3.25m to Al-Shabab

Danny Simpson - £2.25m to Leicester (PL winner)

Eyal Bercovic £2.1m to Man City

Martin Andreson - £1.8m FK Brann

Mame Biram Diouf - £1.6m to Hannover 96

Shabani Nonda - £1.2m to Galatasaray

David Jones (Promoted with Bumley)

Colin Kazim Richard (Feyenoord, Celtic)

Some right names there. Don't forget Grzegorz Sandomierski and Cameron Stewart from that first season down.?

Stoke paid a fair whack for Mame Diouf too didn't they. Is he still there?

For what it's worth I quite liked Kazim Richards and felt it was a mistake not signing him up.

24 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Iv heard from someone else (not nixon) that we have enquired about Kent.He was poor at Bristol last season but maybe that was down to his first half season in Germany.He was good in his previous loan spells

Looking into his spells at Barnsley and Coventry and he didnt get many goals or assists at either club. That said, he was very young (as he still is) and he seems highly rated at Liverpool so I would be open minded. That said, if he was our only wide addition, we would be screwed, if he was one of 2 or 3 wide additions he might well improve us. All depends on the bigger picture.

Just now, JHRover said:

Gallagher isn't going to get a look in at Southampton I wouldn't have thought and I thought I'd heard he was approaching the final year of his contract. If so I'd expect he'd be available for purchase.

Young, a presence up front, knows the club, knows the Championship, scored a few in a poor struggling side last time round. Could do a lot worse.

Speculate to accumulate. At his age barring an injury disaster the likelihood is he will increase in value which should tick the Venky criteria.

One thing he certainly isnt is a presence up front. His height may fool people but hes one of the weakest forwards ive seen in a Rovers shirt and his hold up is non existent. Towards the end of his last spell he was played wide.

In the phrase "scored a few," few is the operative word, 17 in 89 in the Championship surely isnt the calibre we want at the club.

Yes, he played for us before so I can understand the familiarity and the popularity of the suggestion to the extent, but there has to be better out there. Im sure Mowbray wont be signing based on sentimentality.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Herbie6590 said:

On Twitter, a Birmingham fan is saying he cost them >£40k pw last season in wages & loan fees...?

Yep he got a new contract and big pay rise after his stint here.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Or we could be still in target A's list cos Mowbray has show patience and calm and not panick like some on are doing imo. 

Money is there but Mowbray is being careful and not spending on a over price player

Yes there is money there but a lot is being used to secure what we have so it depends what's left over that's why I think more signings just to back up the squad for a few hundred grand each.

Very doubtful we'll be signing one or more players for around a million quid each.

I'll settle for a couple of quality loans.

1 hour ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Some right names there. Don't forget Grzegorz Sandomierski and Cameron Stewart from that first season down.?

Stoke paid a fair whack for Mame Diouf too didn't they. Is he still there?

For what it's worth I quite liked Kazim Richards and felt it was a mistake not signing him up.

Diouf went to Stoke on a free at the end of his Hannover contract...

6 hours ago, neophox said:

I would look into a loan deal for him

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

They are 3 names that been linked this summer, I would be happy with 1 winger if we signed Armstrong aswell. We have 3 players who can play wide plus Conway. 

I would prefer Kent to Maddison if we could sign only 1. Nixon has linked us twice to him and some other reporter aswell

5 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

Gallagher is on 10k a week after he signed a new contract last summer but Birmingham wages are here https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/birmingham-eye-watering-striker-loan-11060633

5 hours ago, islander200 said:

maybe its how Lee Johnson played him

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Have I missed something linking us with Armstrong? Mowbray seemed quite dismissive of him before 

I think he might come available after Newcastle sign a striker or 2

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Looking into his spells at Barnsley and Coventry and he didnt get many goals or assists at either club. That said, he was very young (as he still is) and he seems highly rated at Liverpool so I would be open minded. That said, if he was our only wide addition, we would be screwed, if he was one of 2 or 3 wide additions he might well improve us. All depends on the bigger picture.

One thing he certainly isnt is a presence up front. His height may fool people but hes one of the weakest forwards ive seen in a Rovers shirt and his hold up is non existent. Towards the end of his last spell he was played wide.

In the phrase "scored a few," few is the operative word, 17 in 89 in the Championship surely isnt the calibre we want at the club.

Yes, he played for us before so I can understand the familiarity and the popularity of the suggestion to the extent, but there has to be better out there. Im sure Mowbray wont be signing based on sentimentality.

Gallagher scored 11 goals in 43 games for us. Plus more than of that season we had Coyle has manager.

Kent has 5 assists and 3 goals in his championship but he brings skills and pace. and that's we need. 

4 hours ago, iSeeRed said:

great news.