BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

George Johnston is no better than Scott Wharton, Tyler Magloire, Matty Platt or Joe Grayson. Our Under 23’s polished off Liverpool with ease at Anfield this season, and I’d sooner see one of our lads promoted than sign someone like that on loan.

Just because our under 23s bet theirs, doesn't mean our centre halves are automatically better than theirs though. 

Have you seen the lad play? 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wouldn't call him a Blackburn midfielder though, he is an ex-one. Agree it would probably be a good move for Rodwell if it was him 

Rangers must have a few bob to be able to pay wages for the likes of Defoe. How much would we be looking at for Evans anyway? £1.5 million?  

Spat my coffee out. No way we're getting even a third of that for him.

• Like 1

Just because our under 23s bet theirs, doesn't mean our centre halves are automatically better than theirs though. 

Have you seen the lad play? 

I saw him in that game. No better than what we have. Big team = big player mentality starts at youth level and it’s stupid.

Just now, JacknOry said:

Spat my coffee out. No way we're getting even a third of that for him.

He is a tricky one to put a price one I feel. We know what he is worth, but he is an international with a lot of Championship starts to his name, so I don't think we would let him go for as little as £500,000 

Just now, JoeHarvey said:

I saw him in that game. No better than what we have. Big team = big player mentality starts at youth level and it’s stupid.

So one game? mmm. Preferably I would like us to sign an experienced player as well, but I believe in watching players a few times before writing them off. 

I wouldn't call him a Blackburn midfielder though, he is an ex-one. Agree it would probably be a good move for Rodwell if it was him 

Rangers must have a few bob to be able to pay wages for the likes of Defoe. How much would we be looking at for Evans anyway? £1.5 million?  

We still hold his registration by the looks of it. Plus the timing is so close that I think he’d still conceivably be referred to as our player.

I hope it is Evans and I’d take £1m. I’d rather it be Smallwood though.

He is a tricky one to put a price one I feel. We know what he is worth, but he is an international with a lot of Championship starts to his name, so I don't think we would let him go for as little as £500,000 

If he really is the one linked to Rangers, it would be obvious that he is wanted off the books. I doubt its them coming to us inquiring, more like we would offer them a cut price deal to take him. I think we would definitely take as little as 500k for him if it meant his wages off the book. For 1,5 million, Rangers can do much, much better. 

• Backroom
38 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

There is real compettition for places in certain areas now which is what you want.

You need to perform and perform every week or you will lose your place

Nice idea in theory but the reality is more likely to be that certain favourites like Bennett keep their places no matter what, whilst the more vulnerable players like Rothwell, Nyambe, Travis and Brereton are bombed out as soon as they make a mistake and find it practically impossible to get back into the first team. If we're being honest this is what we've seen from Mowbray so far. I hope he changes his behaviour in this regard.  

Edited by DE.

• Backroom

I'd let him go for free if it got his wages off the books.

• Like 2

Just now, DE. said:

I'd let him go for free if it got his wages off the books.

Even if we got £500,000 and his wages off the book, it would free up a nice bit to finance a good loan from the Premier league or even a player from League 1. I don't think we would miss Evans to be honest.  

• Like 2

Just now, Paul Mani said:

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone on here with that mentality. It seems most of the ‘positive’ crew (me included) just want to give the manager until the end of the window to judge him on the window.

Of course there will be differing opinions on the business we have done already and the glass is half empty crew will no doubt see a completely different picture than the half full crew. That’s life. 

I said a few weeks ago on here that the only time we can really judge is once the window actually closes and we know what we've got. And that still should be the case . The problem is that TM was the one talking about not conceding 68 goals so defenders are coming , we want to get our business done early and get the new ones integrated early, we might still spend as much in this window as we spent on Brereton etc etc.   Its those kind of comments which fuel the expectation on here . The reality is we have been safe in the Championship for many many weeks and yet less than 2 weeks before the season starts we have no GK and alarming gaps in the area of most need even by TM's own admission. There has been a lot of back tracking whether that's based on budget not being what he thought we will probably never know but if budget is constrained then god alone knows why we are acquiring midfielders left right and centre.

Its all massively confusing and inconsistent and the much vaunted Euro Scouting network doesn't appear to have got further than the midlands and north east . Our transfer strategy is based on who used to play for TM or who had one good game against us. There appears no plan and there seldom has been at any point in Venkys tenure.

I am starting to think that TM , nice guy that he might be , is actually as thick as 2 short planks. He forgets what he has said or meanders around his past statements  which kind of insults the intelligence of a lot of people on here who do tend to hold on to what he says ...as you would do. Personally I think he's a half decent man but is a total dullard lacking intelligence and nous & this reflects in his tactics and team selection for me .

To be less than 2 weeks away from the season with no keeper or defenders in sight is beyond the point of half empty , its downright worrying and less than 3 weeks from being completely negligent if the window closes without . Even if we do conjure something at this late stage there is minimal chance to integrate the players into a plan. Considering how long we have had to sort this out its little wonder people have gone past 'Trust in Tony''. Being blunt, Wharton, Grayson or Magloire  at CB level either aren't good enough or not ready so trotting that line out simply wont wash.

I don't think people are worried necessarily about the players we have signed per se, its the ones we haven't yet got and which were the priorities as far back as January which is causing the real concern.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Could do that, would probably end up as more of a diamond with Johnson at the base. But would you really want to drop Dack deeper into the midfield, lose all our width and drop Graham entirely? To me it would seem mega weird.

For what it's worth I would say we are likely to line up :

-------------------------New GK

Nyambe----Lenihan (c)----new CB----Bell

------------------Travis----------Johnson

---------Downing-------Dack-------Rothwell

-----------------------------Graham

Subs : Leut, Williams, Mulgrew, Bennett, Armstrong, Gallagher, Chapman/Brereton

If I was Brereton I would be thinking getting on the pitch is going to be very tricky.

That's a decent set up. I'm just trying to justify spending £12 million on two strikers !

Even if we got £500,000 and his wages off the book, it would free up a nice bit to finance a good loan from the Premier league or even a player from League 1. I don't think we would miss Evans to be honest.  

With Travis, Johnson, potentially Adam and then Davenport, you have a good four there for the central spots. Good mix of youth and experience. Evans and Smallwood dont get near it for me. Neither would be missed really.

• Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's a decent set up. I'm just trying to justify spending £12 million on two strikers !

I know, it's odd. The fear has slipped into my mind that we are anticipating Dack leaving and switching to two up front. What we have done makes a lot of sense when you think of it that way.

Edit - to be fair to Mowbray we all know it's highly likely Dack will leave by the 2020/21 season unless somehow miraculously we get promoted - and indeed he could get a long term injury - so it could be argued it's good planning for that eventuality.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 2

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

I know, it's odd. The fear has slipped into my mind that we are anticipating Dack leaving and switching to two up front. What we have done makes a lot of sense when you think of it that way.

Yes and putting Rothwell in Dack's role. I suppose it makes sense to cover every eventuality. 

Just now, TBTF said:

I said a few weeks ago on here that the only time we can really judge is once the window actually closes and we know what we've got. And that still should be the case . The problem is that TM was the one talking about not conceding 68 goals so defenders are coming , we want to get our business done early and get the new ones integrated early, we might still spend as much in this window as we spent on Brereton etc etc.   Its those kind of comments which fuel the expectation on here . The reality is we have been safe in the Championship for many many weeks and yet less than 2 weeks before the season starts we have no GK and alarming gaps in the area of most need even by TM's own admission. There has been a lot of back tracking whether that's based on budget not being what he thought we will probably never know but if budget is constrained then god alone knows why we are acquiring midfielders left right and centre.

Its all massively confusing and inconsistent and the much vaunted Euro Scouting network doesn't appear to have got further than the midlands and north east . Our transfer strategy is based on who used to play for TM or who had one good game against us. There appears no plan and there seldom has been at any point in Venkys tenure.

I am starting to think that TM , nice guy that he might be , is actually as thick as 2 short planks. He forgets what he has said or meanders around his past statements  which kind of insults the intelligence of a lot of people on here who do tend to hold on to what he says ...as you would do. Personally I think he's a half decent man but is a total dullard lacking intelligence and nous & this reflects in his tactics and team selection for me .

To be less than 2 weeks away from the season with no keeper or defenders in sight is beyond the point of half empty , its downright worrying and less than 3 weeks from being completely negligent if the window closes without . Even if we do conjure something at this late stage there is minimal chance to integrate the players into a plan. Considering how long we have had to sort this out its little wonder people have gone past 'Trust in Tony''. Being blunt, Wharton, Grayson or Magloire  at CB level either aren't good enough or not ready so trotting that line out simply wont wash.

I don't think people are worried necessarily about the players we have signed per se, its the ones we haven't yet got and which were the priorities as far back as January which is causing the real concern.

Some valid points, some unfair ones.

I don't think that the scouting network is "much vaunted" to be honest and it's very much in it's infancy anyway. Its bit much to be expecting it to be baring fruit this summer to be fair. We do however, live in an age of craving instant gratification which might explain some of the moaning on here.

• Like 2

Just now, TBTF said:

You make a few good points but come on, calling TM thick and lacks intelligence is a bit far.

• Like 3

Just now, JacknOry said:

Would be managerial suicide - could you imagine this place if that happened?

That would be utterly unacceptable. Rothwell looks the most promising young player we've signed since Dack. And before that you'd have to go back to Cairney (who was also ridiculously sold).

• Like 1

Just now, Colt Seavers said:

I know. Please God it's Evans, Smallwood or Bennett. 

As other posters have said, I don't think we'd miss Evans and Smallwood if they left. We've got quite a lot of cover in that area anyway. 

I'd be pretty pissed off if we sold Bennett though. He gives his all every game and he's very versatile. He'd be a massive miss. 

Just now, RoverKyle said:

As other posters have said, I don't think we'd miss Evans and Smallwood if they left. We've got quite a lot of cover in that area anyway. 

I'd be pretty pissed off if we sold Bennett though. He gives his all every game and he's very versatile. He'd be a massive miss. 

Good shout actually, almost forgot about him. Doubt its him though, versatile like you say and they made a big thing of him convincing Johnson to sign as they'd played together int he past.. They'd look a bit daft to then sell his mate.