Sign in to follow this  
Stuart

Raya joins Brentford

Tbf for £3m Brentford knew they weren't signing the finished article - far from it. Raya is a great reflex keeper who has never been comfortable coming out to claim the ball from crosses. Looks like he still has that weakness although without watching Brentford over the course of the season I can't say whether he's improved from his time here or not. 

53 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

I think he saves his teams more than he costs them . If this is still the case when he is peaking as a keeper at say 29 fair enough but he won’t be 

Though if he could catch (or punch) then Brentford would be in the automatic promotion places tonight - with Leeds down in 4th and 'Sky in meltdown'.

He could hardly have made a more crucial error.

Edited by Husky

9 hours ago, Inglorious basturk said:

I think he saves his teams more than he costs them . If this is still the case when he is peaking as a keeper at say 29 fair enough but he won’t be 

In the years I've seen him play he hasn't improved much at all. He IS a great shot stopper, but he's always had that in his locker.

However his general command of the box has not improved, hence he will never be an elite goalkeeper, Brentford is about his level.

You could try and blame our coaching staff,which does hold some weight. But he's had what 6 months with Brentfords amazing setup yet they've not ironed his weaknesses out.

4 hours ago, Ossydave said:

In the years I've seen him play he hasn't improved much at all. He IS a great shot stopper, but he's always had that in his locker.

However his general command of the box has not improved, hence he will never be an elite goalkeeper, Brentford is about his level.

You could try and blame our coaching staff,which does hold some weight. But he's had what 6 months with Brentfords amazing setup yet they've not ironed his weaknesses out.

I’d allow a young goalie a little longer to prove himself . He has a good chance unlike here with our no mark of a goalie coach 

24 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

I’d allow a young goalie a little longer to prove himself . He has a good chance unlike here with our no mark of a goalie coach 

Of course, supporters like yourself will always give other clubs the benefit of the doubt. Even when the evidence contradicts it. Raya must have surpassed Walton for clangers this season at this stage. 

I suppose it's probably Mowbrays fault. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Of course, supporters like yourself will always give other clubs the benefit of the doubt. Even when the evidence contradicts it. Raya must have surpassed Walton for clangers this season at this stage. 

I suppose it's probably Mowbrays fault. 

It’s not more complicated than Brentford having a proper keeper coach that makes he think he has a better chance of improvement 

6 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

It’s not more complicated than Brentford having a proper keeper coach that makes he think he has a better chance of improvement 

But he doesn't seem to be showing this improvement . The website whoscored.com gives Walton a rating of 6.69 whereas Raya is down on 6.59.

13 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

They replaced their keeper coach at Xmas. 

https://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2019/december/goalkeeper-coach-update-20191224/ 

How do you know so much about the new coach?

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

3 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

It gives me no pleasure by the way to identify how well another club is run  coached and financed , my comments are driven by envy . If Walton improves it won’t be down to coaching 

Of course not , if he got worse it would be though , wouldn't it, eh :)  

1 minute ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

But he doesn't seem to be showing this improvement . The website whoscored.com gives Walton a rating of 6.69 whereas Raya is down on 6.59.

No perhaps not but when you look at the way they do things overall he has a better chance ... he may however slip through the net no pun intended 

20 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

After almost a season here how do people feel about Christian Walton? Would you sign him permanently or not? 

I think we've got to give him until the end of the season before judging him. Bit of a shaky start but he's started to look the real deal more recently. Some big saves and he's quite composed even under the heavy press when we're trying to play it out from the back. 

I couldn't say either way at the moment.