Jump to content
JoeHarvey

Middlesbrough (H)

Recommended Posts

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/17836133.rovers-boss-mowbray-left-ponder-the-danny-graham-factor/

It will be Graham again. Mowbray didn't sign the right players or coach the current ones well enough to play any differently. 

The thing is with Dack and Graham up there and the likes of Johnson and Downing in the team, we will be better than last year. Add a more solid defence with Mulgrew out and I see no reason why we can't finish 14th :)

 

It SHOULD be Graham again up front. But i've got a suspicion that Mowbray is under big pressure with the Gallagher signing so will keep playing him in the hope he eventually scores a goal or two.

Plus he's had "long conversations" with Graham on it. If I were Graham i'd be pointing out that there's only him and Dack that score goals in this squad (Mulgrew aside).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last minute Cup drama has me both excited and worried.   We continue to score goals, but leak nearly as many.  Hoping for a stronger defensive display this weekend (a cleansheet would be heaven right not).  Boro come into this on the back of there own Cup drama, late goals but ultimately a defeat to league 2 Crewe on Pens. Middlesbrough have the tools to win this game, but hope we can find that moment or two that takes the win.  Match Preview

 

I also spoke with another Rovers fan (Dan Cox), and got his input right here.

And finally I spoke with a Boro fan and got his input as kick off looms... (live Thursday onwards) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OJRovers said:

It SHOULD be Graham again up front. But i've got a suspicion that Mowbray is under big pressure with the Gallagher signing so will keep playing him in the hope he eventually scores a goal or two.

Plus he's had "long conversations" with Graham on it. If I were Graham i'd be pointing out that there's only him and Dack that score goals in this squad (Mulgrew aside).

 

 

Oh no, I 100% agree it should be Graham. I don't even know why he was dropped at the start of the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Cunningham will definitely play left back. Rithwell and Downing could play instead of Armstrong and Gallagher - very hard to call there. Apart from that looks like the team. 

Cunnigham should start. I just dont think its Tonys style to put him in this early.

Especially when he isnt our player. Hope Im wrong becasue bell is a deer in the headlights, but  alas Im sure bell will start

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The team, in my opinion, has to be this as it is our best 11

                      Walton

Nyambe  Lenihan Williams Cunningham

                Johnson Travis

      Downing   Dack   Rothwell

                    Graham

Tough calls with Williams or Tosin, but I think Williams and Lenihan have experience playing together so will give them the nod. I would also give Downing the nod over Armstrong. 

Do I think this will be the team? F**ked if I know. Bennett will surely play, probably Armstrong instead of Rothwell too. 

Honestly though, whatever about Bennett at right back, I really can't and don't want to be looking at Gallagher on the wing. It's stupid. Simple as that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t care who plays or how we play but I expect, ney,  demand three points and a few shots on target at home against a struggling boro side low on confidence with a rookie manager. 

Can see a 0-0 bore fest or 1-0 either way bore fest

Edited by Oldgregg86

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boro usually low scoring game for us, but we've conceded two goals three games running now. I'd set up a back five for this one (not that TM will)

                             Walton
Bennett Nyambe Tosin Williams Cunningham
                     Travis     Johnson
                              Dack
                  Graham    Gallagher

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, benhben said:

You do know we have already lost to Fulham??

Yes. Perhaps had instead of have would be better for clarity. I know we lost but it seems like we were/are being presented with a good opportunity at the start of the season. Factor in Charlton was a good opportunity with managerial uncertainty over the summer, had lost a few key players and how that'll have effected their summer, and we really are looking a gift horse in the mouth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that comes down to the fact that Mowbray has spoken about paying a new style, but at the same time hasn't changed the formation in any way. 

3 at the back would suit the players we have better, but he won't pull the trigger on it, so we are still playing the same formation as in League 1 and now we will be back to focusing our play on long balls to Graham. It's poor management, particularly when you consider he has spent almost £20 million on players since we were promoted. 

It's not even about results, it's the fact the players look confused. If I could see that we were trying something different I would tend to be patient, but it seems now he has given up on the new style and Graham will be back in. Not against it, but, again, it's all very confused and lacking in conviction. 

       

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All our money is invested in strikers, plus our POY is one. We badly need a way to get 2 of them on the pitch together, plus Dack in a position he can flourish and do domage as he is arguably our best player.

The only way this can happen is 352 or some kind of diamond 4312 formation. Not a fan of the diamond as it leaves us very narrow and would need great full backs and well......lets not go there. So for me that leaves 352. Lets be honest could we really defend any worse, so why not try it?

Armstrong could be a real threat if played in a front 2, especially if he is with someone as clever as DG. Also gives BB a chance as no way in hell can he play the lone striker role

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FGS5635 said:

All our money is invested in strikers, plus our POY is one. We badly need a way to get 2 of them on the pitch together, plus Dack in a position he can flourish and do domage as he is arguably our best player.

The only way this can happen is 352 or some kind of diamond 4312 formation. Not a fan of the diamond as it leaves us very narrow and would need great full backs and well......lets not go there. So for me that leaves 352. Lets be honest could we really defend any worse, so why not try it?

Armstrong could be a real threat if played in a front 2, especially if he is with someone as clever as DG. Also gives BB a chance as no way in hell can he play the lone striker role

The reason we couldn't try it is we don't have enough centre backs. We've only 3 recognised center backs in the squad! Given we're struggling to put out 2 this weekend, much less 3 I can't see it working. Also are our strikers that good it's worth playing 2 of them? And not sure where Rothwell and Dack fit in that formation. 

That said the squad's so unbalanced no formation is a good fit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Blue blood said:

The reason we couldn't try it is we don't have enough centre backs. We've only 3 recognised center backs in the squad! Given we're struggling to put out 2 this weekend, much less 3 I can't see it working. Also are our strikers that good it's worth playing 2 of them? And not sure where Rothwell and Dack fit in that formation. 

That said the squad's so unbalanced no formation is a good fit. 

Heard this a few times, but I'd say the opposite. The teams that have most success with 3 at the back often play full backs as the wider 2 with a proper center back central. Between our collection of full backs are centre backs, we have enough to play a back 3.

Also think we have players more suited to wing backs than full backs. I know the postion is very similar. Just think the subtle differences suit our players more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FGS5635 said:

Heard this a few times, but I'd say the opposite. The teams that have most success with 3 at the back often play full backs as the wider 2 with a proper center back central. Between our collection of full backs are centre backs, we have enough to play a back 3.

Also think we have players more suited to wing backs than full backs. I know the postion is very similar. Just think the subtle differences suit our players more

Possibly. But I still think we're light. Nayambe might be a CB in that system, but Bennett and the new lad will occupy the wing back slots. Bell is cover lwb but who would be back up rwb? And 4 for 3 places isn't great either. 

Agree Bennett and Bell would benefit more but I think we're still pretty stuck. Oh for squad planning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Blue blood said:

Possibly. But I still think we're light. Nayambe might be a CB in that system, but Bennett and the new lad will occupy the wing back slots. Bell is cover lwb but who would be back up rwb? And 4 for 3 places isn't great either. 

Agree Bennett and Bell would benefit more but I think we're still pretty stuck. Oh for squad planning. 

I'll admit I havent seen him a great deal. But JRC looks more of a wing back than a full back to me. Also think it can be more attacking at times when chasing games with the likes of downing, rothwell, chapman etc playing really attacking wing back roles.

As for the back 3. The best would be Williams tosin lenihan. With nyambe and cunnigham good enough to play the wider roles also if needed.

We are a bit short, but we are a bit short no matter what formation we play after the transfer window.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FGS5635 said:

I'll admit I havent seen him a great deal. But JRC looks more of a wing back than a full back to me. Also think it can be more attacking at times when chasing games with the likes of downing, rothwell, chapman etc playing really attacking wing back roles.

As for the back 3. The best would be Williams tosin lenihan. With nyambe and cunnigham good enough to play the wider roles also if needed.

We are a bit short, but we are a bit short no matter what formation we play after the transfer window.

This is the truth of the situation! We're stuffed for most formations. 4-4-2 seems best bar it doesn't suit Dack our best player. As you say 4-2-3-1 leaves us with an excess of strikers, 3-5-2 struggling for defenders. It really is a sad indictment of TM's tenure that all formations aren't a natural fit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

This is the truth of the situation! We're stuffed for most formations. 4-4-2 seems best bar it doesn't suit Dack our best player. As you say 4-2-3-1 leaves us with an excess of strikers, 3-5-2 struggling for defenders. It really is a sad indictment of TM's tenure that all formations aren't a natural fit. 

Aye TM has put loads of thought into our new way of playing.

Whoever starts and whatever way we play, he needs to get 3 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is a very important match to us boro are has a very good roster, they a have a very clear idea of football and they play keeping stick to that idea since a couple of campaigns now.

We need those 3 points to much we are not on a crisis or something like that but yes we can finish the season on a shity place again like 17th or 18th if we doesen't improve.

Our problem i think is not quality cause defenitly we have a better squad that last campaign (Downing Johnson and Cunningham)...so it's the mentality of the players they doesen't trust on this project. Tony needs to get back the control of this ship we are on time and we are capable to do it.

We have enought talent i guess and if we play as we did it against london cottoners scum I'm sure boro won't have any chance.

Let's support our Rovers!!!

#TheMexicanRover 

#ImRoversTillIDie 

#COYBB 

Edited by Alejandro Tapia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Whatever 11 play it'll be the same old obvious, labourious, predictable, one dimensional, easy to play against, walking football that we've all become used to. 

.............as we try to retrieve yet another 2-0 deficit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A crazy idea but do you think you could play Rothwell as a right sided wing back? He works hard up and down but has so much more ability than a Bennet and neither are actual defenders or think in a defensive way.

 

it's almost a case of have someone who can attack but can't defend or have someone who can't do either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.