BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fulham 0 V 2 Blackburn Rovers

Tris

Fair play to Dickov. I had my reservations when he arrived yet I seriously underestimated his commitment. All we ask is for each player to give 100%. Dickov does so and that makes him a star. The end product may not always be there, but at least his efforts are last the 90 minutes. Long may it go on.

Edited by Rovermatt

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just got home after a thoroughly enjoyable away day. Bought a Citeh supporting mate with me and he really enjoyed meeting everybody. It was good to catch up with a few old faces and meet a couple of new ones. The fans were fantastic and outsung the Fulham fans all match. The players did seem to really appreciate the support from the fans and raised their games. The on ly one thing i would say is that we should be shooting more, several times we got into the box but seemed scared to have a go. All of the players were outstanding and we deserved the win.

You'll all be pleased to know that I actually managed to get off the train at the right stop on the way home and didn't end up doing a 'Scotty'

All credit to Talksport for praising Rovers. Its the least we deserve after oyr performance.

One gripe is why oh why are talksport and at least on one occasion SSN calling this our first win of the season.

I had to take a 2nd listen but talksport repeated themselves about the above more than once. mad.gif

Can I just echo what Ricky said about the fans today. I thought they were first class considering it was an early kick off on Sky. The buzz amongst the fans was evident as soon as we got in the Eight Bells. I can't explain what it was but the atmosphere was great and everyone was friendly and having a laugh. This continued all day and I have to say we really were a credit. Cheers all it was one of my best away trips in ages and a great laugh.

Great game by the lads today. I thought most played well. Being a Rovers fan I found it quite nail biting, it seems that anyhting other than a ten goal lead with 2 mins left and I am going to be uncomfortable.

The man I thought was huge today was Andy Todd, I have only really seen one other really positive comment. I thought he played Andy Cole out of the game, stuck to him, gave him no room.

Fulham restricted to two really good chances, both from blown calls by the officials, Radzinski WAS offside thank god that did not go in. Andy Cole, clear handball AND some well high studs too, thank god Brad got to the.

I can't help but feel early in the year BOTH those chance wold have gone in. Perhaps Lady Luck is coming back, she might not have a Season Ticket but she has popped in a time or two.

All that along with a penalty and a clean sheet, made for an upbeat day.

Interesting, once we went two goals up today I had no worries at all, before that I was on the edge of my seat, chewing my nails, any cliché you can throw out about being worried was probably me at that point. Can't fault any of the performances, amazing improvement in the fitness and the work rate of the players under Hughes, and the passing and movement off of the ball also seems much improved. In the last few games we have really started to string nice moves together, as well as allowing the individual skills of the likes of Emerton, Thompson and Reid to come out. Going forward we really do look a threat, if we could throw in a quality striker, though at the moment we aren't doing badly at all, then it would be a force to be reckoned with.

...Dickov remained at the same high standard he always does. Linking up well, winning fouls as well as ANOTHER PENALTY. A perfect penalty too...

...Friedel- one sublime save and back to his authorative self controlling the box when given a chance...

And the way that Dickov sold the idea that he was going to his left and then put it solidly to his right...just beautiful.

Brad also had another quality save (even though it did go straight to him) on McBride's header from 6 yards out. That ball had pace on it and Friedel didn't flinch.

Well played, Rovers.

A great day.

I live round the corner from Craven Cottage and thoroughly enjoyed seeing the neighbours being outplayed and outfought. And that was the key: we didnt just run and scrap but we put the ball on the deck and passed it.

Several things stand out:

- the team as a whole seem more together. I know it sounds daft but there always seems a player on, so often you see two players chasing down a loose forward, the midfield take it in turn to close down the opposing team etc..

- I think Reid and Emerton look a great duo. Emerton today was extraordinary. One incident comes to mind - he ran about 40yards with the ball, passed it, then seeing the play break down raced all the way back to our penalty area to break down the play. Reid was not on fire like last week but he posed so many questions for Fulham and made several big strong tackles.

- Gallagher was terrific. But we should have taken him off 10minutes sooner. He looked shattered. He should start next weekend, not Bothroyd.

- Dickov chasing down a ball in the 92minute was something to behold. I have no idea where he gets that energy but I am deeply appreciative of it.

- Friedel's save from Cole was key when we were one up.

- Tugay played very well. There was one spell, lasting no more than 5minutes, when he was lunging in but that aside this was a good performance.

- I think Ferguson is key to this side. I reminds me of Sherwood in many ways. Small simple passes, tidying up, simple linking-up play etc.. I am a big fan.

Finally, the fans were great today. I know we had a much to sing and shout about but there was so much good humour and genuine satisfaction today. Sometimes I wonder how much games mean to players but seeing their faces, their body language as they came to the Rovers players at full time persuaded me that this game meant an awful lot to them. It wasnt about money.

Bring on the Spurs.

Sums up everything really - great post

I thought we were bad, but hell, Fulham are rubbish.

Good team effort from Rovers. Andy Todd and Short is probably our best option at the back, as long as Nissa plays left back and not relegated to the bench. Todd was relentless on Cole, and Nissa shut down the right wing.

Friedel was back to his best. Made some good saves from Cole and McBride especially.

Gallagher has 2 from 2. Should start next game, regardless of Bothroyd.

Sometimes we were a little too unselfish, but oh well.

Another penalty! Fancy that! :cool:

Off the bottom! Off the bottom!

I can tell you ALL that the match commander has made a contribution to the press after the game stating that ROVERS fans were well received, well behaved and that there were no arrests.

Thanks ever so much for the update from Leyland HQ

I'm not sure if the Sky cameras showed the complete picture

But you know best, oh mighty 1864 ... fount of much info

laugh.gif

can anyone tell me whats happening ON the pitch as all I can see from every sky camera is the Rovers fans taking their seats, eating their pies or sipping their drinks and chatting !!!

tris take note

there is no more media interest than on any other match day biggrin.gif

an amazing insight from 250 miles away

did anyone reading this manage to get a pie ??

i was offered a bacon buttie or a frazzled burger or a hot dog, i took the burger and broke bits off the edge to use as missiles, but the onions tasted ok

anyway 1864, you're still so full of it it's untrue

"We" didn't make the news because "we" were impeccably behaved from row A to row ZZZ.

Sorry to disappoint, but Leyland HQ only got half the story.

Hat's off to Mark Hughes, he's got the team improving week by week as is evident to all. Now we have the makings of a decent Rovers team (subject to a few changes when the transfer window opens) and just as importantly Hughes has the makings of a very good manager. I base this not just because of the win today but on the overall improvement of the team play and attitude. The best is yet to come.

cool.gif

Great performance. In fact, for a bottom team, I can't remember a better one.

That said, there was still a lot of room for improvemnt - Fulham had a very defensive midfield. Main problem was I've never seen a team make so many chances in the last 20 yards but refuse to shoot - I would say 15 times we wasted great chances! Why did people try not to shoot?!? = 1 good shot, plus 1 peno all game vs 20 great chances in a game we dominated.

Freidel: Genuinely great save from cole, but must catch a cross this season. Come on Brad, come off your line,

Neil: best performance this season. Never looked in too much trouble altho we were lucky that Boa Morte wasn't playing (ditto Johansson),

Johansonn - good perfomance, altho could have been booked in 1st half. Must tckle harder - probably 9 or 10 times he could have won the ball with tackle, but ended up losing it to a Fulham guy who was probably 2 stone less,

Short - Godlike, although when you kick it out, you can kick it forward more than 1 yard.

Todd - solid, altho Cole had a good game and Papa Diop won every header (applies to Short, altho Todd was marking him more).

Emerton - good, but 1st time shots wd have won us the game.

Reid - odd: great most of the time, but 1st touch cost us 2/3 goals surely.

Tugay - training means he's 50% fitter. No invisible friend.

Ferguson - tidy. Looked great when we're attacking. Tried hard when we weren't.

Dickov - looked good, but really not a clinical finisher.

Gallacher - good goal, but depressingly ducked out of every 50-50, even when he could have clatterered the defender. Powder puff. Refused I would say 4 clear-cut chances from edge of box - why?!? Put the guy on steak supper every day - has so much potential that we should not waste it.

All in all, a good performance, but I've honestly never seen a side waste so many great crossing/edge of box opportunities. esp. when I'm nervous as **** after being forced to drink Carling beginner beer beforehand!(3.8%!?!)

Edited by The Producer

Good game today but we still have a lot to work on.

Todd can't jump. Short can't run. That duo is not good enough against better teams.

Our best defender, Johansson, is playing out of position.

Our best midfielder, Emerton, is playing out of posion.

Our first choise striker, Dickov can't score.

I also agree that Emerton is a different man.Last season he would be so timid and unlikely to take anyone on,no pace,sluggish and unconfident,now he is looking like a top class right winger.

A bargain at the price we got him.Lets hope he continues to excel.

rover.gif looks like the feyernood supporting barman,i met in the dam last year was correct,he said emo was poor his first season in dutch footie but was superb from then on. tinykit.gif

we were still dodgy at the back dont forget, cole and radzinski should have scored their chances. but we had a hell of a lot more chances, reid and emerton are doing really well at the moment.

reid especially, he is doing very well with his crossing, and set up gallagher.

the team is totally different from pre hughes going forward.

Everything’s been said really.

The win did surprise me as I thought we would never keep a clean sheet and that was always going be our bad side of the team, but we always look like an attacking threat.

What really impressed me was the communication between the back four, having Short in the team is that he was consistently talking to Jay and Neill.

Coleman said that every time we attacked Fulham looked as if they were going to conceded.

Thought Barry played well again, Dickov and Gallagher looks like the best partnership that we’ve soon so far.

The next two games particularly are important, if we can beat Spurs and Palace we have the chance to get out of the battle and the bottom, drag others into it and we can ease out of it.

Hughes delighted with 'huge' win

Our first choise striker, Dickov can't score.

3 in 4 games? huh.gif

Could easily have had one against Birmingham that Gallagher ended up taking, not sure what his problem is?

Two from the penelty spot and one with a misshitted header with his shoulder. Quality!!

Even Akinbiney should have put those balls in the net.

It doesn't matter whether he should have, or whether others could have. He did. He's on target to score more than Andy Cole did last season.

A penalty is as much a goal as a 35 yard screamer. It isn't a soft goal.

Also bare in mind he won both the penalties, and got people sent off both times as a direct result.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.