BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fulham 0 V 2 Blackburn Rovers

Tris

Its mad how a Rovers win can make you feel.

Going out on the Mrs's Crimbo Party tonight but at 12:00 today she said that I better be in a good mood even if Rovers lose - this I could not promise but now I feel like I may be the life and soel of the party.

Da Da, , ,Da Da, D Da Naaaa De De, De De Ne Da Daaaaaa ROVERS (well you try spelling that)

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only complaint is that Emerton didn't score a third goal... I'd have won £150 instead of the £85 profit I did show. smile.gif

The fitness levels of the players was incredible, and watching the match with a Liverpool fan, he was astonished at the way we didn't give Fulham half a second on the ball.

Dickov - superb

Gally - he's staking a real claim

Nissa - only 3 "what you doing"s in the match"and how often was he in a genuinely advance position

Fulham were the worst team I've seen this season, and I felt sorry for Andy Cole (then again, I often felt sorry for him at Rovers as well).

Edited by Modi

Great result and I was expecting more from Fulham but they were very very dissapointing. I wonder how different the game would of been if they had Boa Morte available *shudders*

I can understand people being worried about Nissa at left-back but apparantly he was solid there and I wonder if this will be his consistent position from now on? Since McEveley has been dropped.

Anyway, out of the relegation zone, 3 points, a clean sheet and a hardworking, professional performance.

'Ave it!

Great determined performance to get the three points.

Dickov remained at the same high standard he always does. Linking up well, winning fouls as well as ANOTHER PENALTY. A perfect penalty too.

Gallagher- great goal and adds a whole, if not two, new dimesion/s to our attacking play. He swings out wide and dribbles at defenders and also drops deep to play through balls. He oozes quality and the prospect of a partnership of him and Bothroyd promises great things, although how Dickov will be displaced I cannot justify. His work rate was as good as Dickov's too which was fantastic to see. Great finish for the goal too.

Emerton was excellent- continuing his good run of form and showing his confidence in his stepovers etc.

Tugay was brilliant- I have given him a lot of stick but his closing down was top notch, if he could do that every week we would be set. There is a nagging feeling though he might revert to his usual self next week. Definately gets the benefit of the doubt however.

Hopefully Ferguson can improve that side of his game too, although he wasnt bad. Passing was good although he didnt see enough of the ball to make a huge impact. Shot a couple of times when he should of laid off and the yellow card was silly. He cant be far off a suspension now, can he?

Reid didnt reach the heady heights of last weeks performance but made some excellent runs behind the full backs and was extremely effective at closing down. Shame he will be suspended.

Niell had a good game, getting forward well and did some good covering defensive runs. Still plays a lot of the opposition onside on occasion and also finds himself stranded on the halfway line from time to time.

Johansson defended well but obviously lacks the quality to go forward, I cannot see him playing there on a regular basis. Entertaining to see him turn their full back inside out from time to time only for his touch to let him down.

Todd was solid although hus lack of inches showed on occasion. Infinately more secure than Amo or Matteo. A permanent fixture now. Nice to see him steaming toward the 18 yard box,

Short showed why he was our best defender today.

Friedel- one sublime save and back to his authorative self controlling the box when given a chance.

It was not all good though- if Cole and Boa Morte had finished better we would of been in trouble. For playing a side down to ten men in the last twenty minutes out tactics of sitting back and trying to hit them on the break was a bit disappointing. The technical quality of our front six was high enough for us to try and keep the ball but we couldnt do it. This is partly due to Fulham not being a bad side and being away from home but I still feel we could have made a much better fist of it. As a defensive unit we had some problems as well, people losing their man and the line not holding itself too well. This, more than an other area, is the most worrying. Individually good performances but not perhaps as well organised as a unit. While Ferguson and Tugay particularly closed down well the lack of a true 'defensive midfileder' could have contributed and we might just lack that bit of quality in defense.

Shaping up well though, I can really see us begin to assert ourselves a bit and start to ping it around especially at home. Thompson will slot in where Reid was and Bothroyd will get a spot on the bench. Ultimately if we can tighten up even further our defensive side of the game we will be a side who even the big five would not expect to defeat off hand. We have to steadily pick up points over Christmas and in the transfer window, if Hughes buys well, good times could be coming!

ps. MGP is going to find it almost impossible to get in the side. Thompson, Reid and Emerton are all good players and he will need two of them to get injuries/suspensions to get a spot. Its a shame but you can hardly advocate dropping them if they are playing well.

Watched most of the match from an Irish pub, here in KL. I was so pleased with the work rate of all the players today. An incredible hunger. It was as if they sensed that if they added just a little bit more effort, they could avoid the draw and get the win.

One question. I couldn't hear any commentary in the area I was in... it looked to me when Cole got clear of the marking and Friedel saved his shot, that he had brought the ball down with his hand... admittedly, the camera angle could have easily misled me, but was there any controversy over it? Cole played well, seemed determined to score against us, but it's a credit to our defense, especially Brad on that shot, that we kept him, and them, scoreless.

What a great day! It has been a while since I have felt happy on a Saturday, after a Rovers win. Today, it was not only the win that made me happy, but the performance and the fact that we are out of the bottom three and we are playing and defending well. All our players were excellent today, but for me the stand out players were Johannson, Todd, Tugay, Emerton and Dickov. It's been a long time coming, but we are playing well, which IMO is because we are playing with a settled side and importantly a settled defence. Today, we had our best defenders playing and it showed. We need to push on from this win and win next week ,which could take us up as far as 12th I think. Well done lads.

Watched most of the match from an Irish pub, here in KL. I was so pleased with the work rate of all the players today. An incredible hunger. It was as if they sensed that if they added just a little bit more effort, they could avoid the draw and get the win.

One question. I couldn't hear any commentary in the area I was in... it looked to me when Cole got clear of the marking and Friedel saved his shot, that he had brought the ball down with his hand... admittedly, the camera angle could have easily misled me, but was there any controversy over it? Cole played well, seemed determined to score against us, but it's a credit to our defense, especially Brad on that shot, that we kept him, and them, scoreless.

It did look like he brought it down with his hand, yea. The Swedish commentators also thought so, but it'd have been a lot more controversial without Superman in goal wink.gif

EDIT: I forgot to mention our fitness levels earlier. Just look at the likes of Reid, Dickov, Emerton, heck the whole team!. They ran tirelessly throughout the game and never looked tired. I believe that this improvement alone could save us from relegation. With the better play we're seeing under Hughes, it could get us even further.

Edited by Lathund

So was the rest of our team. The defense was solid, the midfield did a good job of denying Fulham big attacks and the wings, as well as the forwards, did a good job of going forward and keeping Fulham on their toes.

What a refereshing site, a Rovers team that battled for every ball and had the fitness to do so for a full 90 minutes. A far cry from some of the displays of the bygone Souness era.

When I saw the line-up I was a bit surprised by Johansson's shift to left-back but could understand Hughes' thinking what with McEveley a little mistake-prone and Short back. I was only hoping he wouldn't do one of his disappearing acts. I needn't have worried, he was superb.

Rovers came out of the blocks like whippets (or other fast moving creatures) and should have gone ahead inside the first 2 minutes, some neat play in midfield, cracking ball by Tugay set Reid away and his cross should have been converted by Emerton at the far post.

As it was, we didn't have to wait long for the first goal - a couple of other half-chances had come Rovers' way before Gallagher nipped in in front of a static Fulham defence to convert Reid's low cross. We were in front! A real novelty this season.

It was forgivable to think we may sit back and try and grind out a one-nil win, however Rovers continued to tear into Fulham; Tugay, Emerton and Dickov were exceptional and Johansson was bombing up and down the left flank like a man possessed - twice in the first half his presence in the Fulham box caused havoc which could have lead to an opening.

At the other end Radzinski - who I still maintain was offside when the ball was played - should have buried a one-on-one, but instead scooped it wide. Had Boa Morte been on the pitch it would've been 1-1.

The rest of the first half was all one-way, although Rovers failed to make too many clear-cut chances, only Emerton's two shots from the edge of the box really stand out. But there was plenty to cheer about if you were wearing blue-and-white at half time.

Inevitably Fulham started the second half brightly and forced an early corner but little else. Rovers were counter-attacking at pace with Emerton, Reid, Gallagher and Dickov giving Fulham's defence the runaround. As the half wore on the defence started to look a little edgy and once or twice only a last ditch block prevented Fulham getting a shot on goal.

Then came, in my opinion, the defining moment of the game - Andy Cole burst past Todd and Neill (it might have been Short I couldn't quite see) after Johansson had got caught way upfield. Only a brilliant one-handed stop from Friedel kept us in front.

Minutes later Dickov burst into the box and turned Zat Knight who blatantly stuck his arm out to divert the ball out of play. A penalty and Knight's second booking of the game. Dickov's penalty past Van Der Sar, who had replaced Crossley after an hour, was inch perfect. We were home and dry...

That is until the Rovers defence returned to their jittery selves - so composed for 80 minutes, suddenly Diop, McBride and Cole all had shooting opportunities following defensive lapses but none really troubled Friedel.

Thompson came on for the last few minutes and gave the ball away a lot, Emerton failed to make the most of a run on goal and Matteo came on to waste some time, and there it was, Blackburn's first away win of the season - and fully deserved; outbattled, outplayed, outran Fulham throughout. Play like that every week and we'll be vying for Europe not relegation.

As an aside, once again Blackburn scored goals and no doubt next week Mark Lawrenson will be "unable to see where the goals are coming from". Someone should mail some glasses to the man.

Match Ratings: Friedel - 7, Little to do apart from the save from Cole

Neill - 8, Looked solid throughout

Short - 7, Steady at the back but didn't win as many headers as I'd expected

Todd - 6, Made a hash of several clearances but otherwise composed

Johansson - 8, Played really well I thought as an overlapping full-back, tackled well and ran for 90 minutes

Emerton - 9, Class throughout, ran Fulham's defence all over the place

Tugay - 9, Ran midfield, thoroughly commited, do that every week!

Ferguson - 7, Quiet I thought but his passing was near faultless

Reid - 7, Few clumsy touches but his strength and power going forward created plenty of openings

Dickov - 9, Man of the match, made Fulham's defence look like a pub side, ran them all over the park, held the ball up, played clever passes, virtually ran the game from the front. Fully deserved his goal. Brilliant.

Gallagher - 7, Scored a good goal, got himself about a bit, faded a bit second half.

Overall, a really, really good performance but those defensive frailties are still there and you have to wonder if it would have been different with Boa Morte on the pitch. I can go to bed happy tonight! biggrin.gif

tinykit.gif

Edited by Tango

Great workmanlike performance. Fulham were dissappointing but lots of credit to the Rovers for being in their faces all the game. We simply did not allow em to get into any kind of rythm.

Just one whinge.......... we should have won this game comfortably by half time. Other sides will not be as uninspired nor as profligate as Fulham. Still Bothroyds available again next week.

So far, only Bolton not winning against Portsmouth has not been the result I wanted. The rest of the fixtures have gone exactly as I wanted them. Hopefully, Middlesborough can beat Tottenham tomorrow, and it will have been close to the perfect weekend for Rovers in relation to this season.

What a refereshing site, a Rovers team that battled for every ball and had the fitness to do so for a full 90 minutes. A far cry from some of the displays of the bygone Souness era.

When I saw the line-up I was a bit surprised by Johansson's shift to left-back but could understand Hughes' thinking what with McEveley a little mistake-prone and Short back. I was only hoping he wouldn't do one of his disappearing acts. I needn't have worried, he was superb.

Rovers came out of the blocks like whippets (or other fast moving creatures) and should have gone ahead inside the first 2 minutes, some neat play in midfield, cracking ball by Tugay set Reid away and his cross should have been converted by Emerton at the far post.

As it was, we didn't have to wait long for the first goal - a couple of other half-chances had come Rovers' way before Gallagher nipped in in front of a static Fulham defence to convert Reid's low cross. We were in front! A real novelty this season.

It was forgivable to think we may sit back and try and grind out a one-nil win, however Rovers continued to tear into Fulham; Tugay, Emerton and Dickov were exceptional and Johansson was bombing up and down the left flank like a man possessed - twice in the first half his presence in the Fulham box caused havoc which could have lead to an opening.

At the other end Radzinski - who I still maintain was offside when the ball was played - should have buried a one-on-one, but instead scooped it wide. Had Boa Morte been on the pitch it would've been 1-1.

The rest of the first half was all one-way, although Rovers failed to make too many clear-cut chances, only Emerton's two shots from the edge of the box really stand out. But there was plenty to cheer about if you were wearing blue-and-white at half time.

Inevitably Fulham started the second half brightly and forced an early corner but little else. Rovers were counter-attacking at pace with Emerton, Reid, Gallagher and Dickov giving Fulham's defence the runaround. As the half wore on the defence started to look a little edgy and once or twice only a last ditch block prevented Fulham getting a shot on goal.

Then came, in my opinion, the defining moment of the game - Andy Cole burst past Todd and Neill (it might have been Short I couldn't quite see) after Johansson had got caught way upfield. Only a brilliant one-handed stop from Friedel kept us in front.

Minutes later Dickov burst into the box and turned Zat Knight who blatantly stuck his arm out to divert the ball out of play. A penalty and Knight's second booking of the game. Dickov's penalty past Van Der Sar, who had replaced Crossley after an hour, was inch perfect. We were home and dry...

That is until the Rovers defence returned to their jittery selves - so composed for 80 minutes, suddenly Diop, McBride and Cole all had shooting opportunities following defensive lapses but none really troubled Friedel.

Thompson came on for the last few minutes and gave the ball away a lot, Emerton failed to make the most of a run on goal and Matteo came on to waste some time, and there it was, Blackburn's first away win of the season - and fully deserved; outbattled, outplayed, outran Fulham throughout. Play like that every week and we'll be vying for Europe not relegation.

As an aside, once again Blackburn scored goals and no doubt next week Mark Lawrenson will be "unable to see where the goals are coming from". Someone should mail some glasses to the man.

Match Ratings: Friedel - 7, Little to do apart from the save from Cole

Neill - 8, Looked solid throughout

Short - 7, Steady at the back but didn't win as many headers as I'd expected

Todd - 6, Made a hash of several clearances but otherwise composed

Johansson - 8, Played really well I thought as an overlapping full-back, tackled well and ran for 90 minutes

Emerton - 9, Class throughout, ran Fulham's defence all over the place

Tugay - 9, Ran midfield, thoroughly commited, do that every week!

Ferguson - 7, Quiet I thought but his passing was near faultless

Reid - 7, Few clumsy touches but his strength and power going forward created plenty of openings

Dickov - 9, Man of the match, made Fulham's defence look like a pub side, ran them all over the park, held the ball up, played clever passes, virtually ran the game from the front. Fully deserved his goal. Brilliant.

Gallagher - 7, Scored a good goal, got himself about a bit, faded a bit second half.

Overall, a really, really good performance but those defensive frailties are still there and you have to wonder if it would have been different with Boa Morte on the pitch. I can go to bed happy tonight! biggrin.gif

tinykit.gif

Just goes to show the difference between going live and watching on telly. Todd looked absolutely fantastic, Neil superb, Ferguson pleanty of ball - ran midfield, Gallagher - everywhere and defended from the front made the difference to how we had been playing.

Best performance ive seen in a long long time,reminds me of the year we finished 6th with souness.

one down side is our game warranted more goals,we missed far too many scorable chances.dickov is great but his finishing isnt the best.on another day,the fact that we wouldnt have killed off fulham until the penalty could have cost us another win.

bring on spurs.another 3 points would be brilliant.

id take 10 points from the next 15 gladly.

Todd looked absolutely fantastic, Neil superb, Ferguson pleanty of ball - ran midfield, Gallagher - everywhere and defended from the front made the difference to how we had been playing.

I think there's a desparation to idolise Todd in fear that Amoruso or Matteo may make it back into the team. I agree he made one or two excellent challenges but was poor in the air and played some really dodgy clearances straight up in the air. Maybe I was harsh to give him a 6, but he certainly wasn't superb.

Neill I've already indicated had an good game, Ferguson disappeared for long periods and Gallagher was excellent for most of the game but faded.

A great day.

I live round the corner from Craven Cottage and thoroughly enjoyed seeing the neighbours being outplayed and outfought. And that was the key: we didnt just run and scrap but we put the ball on the deck and passed it.

Several things stand out:

- the team as a whole seem more together. I know it sounds daft but there always seems a player on, so often you see two players chasing down a loose forward, the midfield take it in turn to close down the opposing team etc..

- I think Reid and Emerton look a great duo. Emerton today was extraordinary. One incident comes to mind - he ran about 40yards with the ball, passed it, then seeing the play break down raced all the way back to our penalty area to break down the play. Reid was not on fire like last week but he posed so many questions for Fulham and made several big strong tackles.

- Gallagher was terrific. But we should have taken him off 10minutes sooner. He looked shattered. He should start next weekend, not Bothroyd.

- Dickov chasing down a ball in the 92minute was something to behold. I have no idea where he gets that energy but I am deeply appreciative of it.

- Friedel's save from Cole was key when we were one up.

- Tugay played very well. There was one spell, lasting no more than 5minutes, when he was lunging in but that aside this was a good performance.

- I think Ferguson is key to this side. I reminds me of Sherwood in many ways. Small simple passes, tidying up, simple linking-up play etc.. I am a big fan.

Finally, the fans were great today. I know we had a much to sing and shout about but there was so much good humour and genuine satisfaction today. Sometimes I wonder how much games mean to players but seeing their faces, their body language as they came to the Rovers players at full time persuaded me that this game meant an awful lot to them. It wasnt about money.

Bring on the Spurs.

One question. I couldn't hear any commentary in the area I was in... it looked to me when Cole got clear of the marking and Friedel saved his shot, that he had brought the ball down with his hand...

All I can say is I was out of my seat appealing without even seeing the replay. It was a nailed on hand-ball.......a couple of weeks ago we would have conceded the goal, if you get my drift. I feel we are beginning to make our own luck, working very hard, the players are amazingly fit, defending and attacking as a team. An excellent all round performance today.

My only concern is we should have scored at least two more. We don't have a player who will get 15+ in a season so it is essential the midfield take turns to pile forward into those positions. We can't rely on our strikers for every goal. Emerton, Reid and Ferguson should be capable of 5-6 each in a season.

Bring on Spurs!!!!!!!!! smile.gifsmile.gif - a very big game if we are still level on points (come on Boro make it a perfect weekend).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.