SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Savage Signs

neekoy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who am I to advise on negotiating tactics? Anyway.............

Savage has met his side of the bargain by requesting a move.

Brum are playing silly buggers. We've made two offers so sod em (might be worth a phone call to Savage - from a non-monitored phone of course biggrin.gif - to say he's still wanted and don't read the Sun for the next few days) then get a daft offer in for, say, Joey Barton. One we know'll be rejected but should annoy Brum and give an impression we've got other irons in the fire.

Then back to Brum in a week or so with a bid 50 grand better than the last one, maybe structured a bit better in their eyes, and lets see what happens.

If they still won't play, bye. Frankly, have doubts he's worth 2.5 mill but if Hughes does, I bow to his greater knowledge wink.gif . Gives us a bit of time to look around for someone in the same mould (if we really need one) and fair to Savage too - gives him a bit of time to sort things.

Steve Bruce In my opinion a Class A clown and hypocrite. Read on

Steve Bruce was finally presented to the press and public as the manager of Birmingham City on 12 December 2001, having been through one of the most turbulent spells of his long career.

Steve had resigned as the manager of Crystal Palace on 2 November 2001 and was expected to be named as manager of Birmingham City shortly afterwards.

However, the Crystal Palace chairman Simon Jordan took the matter to the High Court in a bid to prevent Bruce from walking out, managing to secure a decision in his favour that could have forced Bruce to sit out the entire nine-month notice period that was in his contract.

Bruce had been appointed as the permanent successor to Alan Smith at Crystal Palace on 31 May 2001, taking charge of team affairs from the then caretaker boss Steve Kember.

Bruce left Wigan Athletic two days before being appointed at Palace after taking on a short-term role at the JJB Stadium following Bruce Rioch's surprise dismissal in April 2001. He succeeded in guiding The Latics into the play-offs where they lost to Reading in the semi-finals.

Prioir to that, Bruce had been in charge of two Yorkshire teams, Sheffield United and Huddersfield Town but it is for his achievements as a player that he is perhaps most well-renowned.

For Bruce to have the nerve to criticise Savage beggars believe

Anything above £3m and we should forget it. The player is 30years old for christ's sake! We'd be lucky to get three years quality football out of him. Mind you thinking about it, I'd say Savage is probably good enough to ensure us a place of at least 3 places in the league above where we would without him.

A quick mathematical jiz:

3 places higher in league @ 500k per place = £1.5m

£1.5m over 3 years service = £4.5m

This means Robbie has paid for himself and possibly another 1 or 2 players. Sounds good business to me but of course football doesn't work mathematically.

Anything above £3m and we should forget it. The player is 30years old for christ's sake! We'd be lucky to get three years quality football out of him. Mind you thinking about it, I'd say Savage is probably good enough to ensure us a place of at least 3 places in the league above where we would without him.

A quick mathematical jiz:

3 places higher in league @ 500k per place = £1.5m

£1.5m over 3 years service = £4.5m

This means Robbie has paid for himself and possibly another 1 or 2 players. Sounds good business to me but of course football doesn't work mathematically.

remember he also gets paid about 20,000 pound every week

Can't that clown Bruce choke on his dinner or something, cos the rubbish he comes out with at times is amazing. The Savage issue at the mo, remind you of anyone Brucy, oh yeh your own good self trying to escape palace.

Potential reasons why Sullivan Brady and Bruce are a little spiky about Rovers.

These quotes taken from the news page on "Singing the Blues"

"Yorke is possibly the laziest player since Lazy McLazy from Lazyville won the laziest man contest. Or is that just the impression he creates?"

"Unfortunately for Tebily he has joined DJ (Damien Johnson)on the fans’ hitlist. He can do no right. The good parts of his game are greeted with ungrateful silence and the bad parts, which are admittedly numerous, are loudly recognised by the vocal majority."

"Dunn's hamstring problems have been identified as being caused by a possible back problem which can be operated on. But the surgery would keep the midfielder sidelined for anything between four and six months and so the club are are reluctant to go down that route mid season."

And as far Martin Taylor, despite an injury crisis has started only twice this season which speaks for itself.

Interesting the comments on Johnson. I read a brum board after we played them and they were all raving about Steven Reid saying if only they could have him instead of Johnson. Strangely inconsistent with the views of some on here who feel that letting him go was a terrible decision.

Interesting the comments on Johnson. I read a brum board after we played them and they were all raving about Steven Reid saying if only they could have him instead of Johnson. Strangely inconsistent with the views of some on here who feel that letting him go was a terrible decision.

Although b'ham fans saw Reid in what has been by far his best game in a blue and white shirt, not reaching that level performance since then, i take your point that Reid is the better player and i think most of us would prefer him. There was a time when Rovers fans thought that selling DJ was wrong, but he hasn't exactly up rooted trees at b'ham has he?

Another interesting if somewhat bizarre find

Savage the REAL STORY ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sav walked into Bruce's office. With a hand witten note on a scrap of paper (not the official transfer request form) saying...and i quote "I WANT TO LEAVE ... SAV 8"

Bruce went absolutly BESERK! to two of em were argueing for ages.

As far as i am concerned - as much as i love him - LET HIM ROT in the reserves, dont let Blackburn sign him or anyone else....why should we, he has got a 4 year contract he has only just signed!!

and, as for Professionalism, i always thought Sav was ok, but saly he has proved what a ****er he can be!!

I'm not saying Reid is better than Johnson just relaying what I read. I do think that Reid is playing well and should get better but I personally would rate him as a pretty similar to Johnson on what i've seen so far. Both decent players who are never going to set the premier on fire for me. I see signs in Reid that he can step up a bit more but not 100% convinced. As for Johnson he's done ok a few times i've seen him but he's no better than say Alan Mahon on the whole, a cracker in the 1st but not quite good enough for the top league.

"We won't pay over the odds......Our second bid was substantially increased.......He is their player and they are entitled to turn our bid down.They are determined to hold onto their player......We'll look to regroup and see where we go from there but we are not in a position to overpay for players.We have to be extremely careful with our money and we've made a good offer.But the club clearly don't need the money and there's no way we can overpay." John Williams in the LET.

Another three weeks yet, up to Brum whether they want to pay someone over the odds for the next 3.5 years just to play reserve footy, or whether they take a reasonable fee.

For all their loud-mouthed posturing I think they will take 2.5. Savage has now burned his bridges at Birmingham, I can't see any way back, and taking 2.5 and re-investing that has to make more financial sense than having an asset useless to you rotting away for at least 4 months. What will his transfer value be in May when he's not played in 2005?

One thing's for sure, if they do take 2.5 they'll look bleeding stupid, after more about-turns than Tony Blair.

Savage is playing for Birmingham Reserves tomorrow(Radio Lancs).

Rangers want to take Ferguson back for a cut-price fee(BBC teletext).

Yeah i am off to see him play with my brum and villa mates!

I will be wearing my rovers shirt under my top and may try to get a word with the man himself. My brum mate has said he will give me his shirt with savage 8 on teh back if he joins us laugh.gif at which point i will put a rovers badge on it and biggrin.gif

Anybody know if one of newcastles reject staff is in charge of there reserves?

Edited by modes98

Am I one of the few people who doesn't feel this is a good move or are there more out there?

Not that I don't like Savage or think he is a good player, I just don't feel he is the player that we need.

If he does eventually end up signing for us then fair enough and he will get my backing.

Who else could we go for I'm not sure yet, but I still have reservations about Savage.

"We won't pay over the odds......Our second bid was substantially increased.......He is their player and they are entitled to turn our bid down.They are determined to hold onto their player......We'll look to regroup and see where we go from there but we are not in a position to overpay for players.We have to be extremely careful with our money and we've made a good offer.But the club clearly don't need the money and there's no way we can overpay." John Williams in the LET.

There's just a world of difference between the way Birmingham's board and management conduct themselves comnpared to ours (and most other Prem clubs). I'm still baffled as to why they have reacted in the manner they have.

Day 1:

Rovers: Bid tabled

Brum: "That's disgraceful who do, they think they are?"

Day 2:

Rovers: Mark Hughes says he still hopes to work out a deal.

Brum: "Who is he kidding they're bid was insulting. No no no."

Day 3

Rovers: "..."

Brum: "You won't bully us."

Day 4

Brum: "They tapped our player. We're telling."

Day 5

Brum: "Rovers are crap why would Robbie want to go there?"

Day 6

Rovers: New bid.

Brum: "It's still not enough. Anyway Robbie loves it here and plus you're crap"

Savage: "I want out."

Idiots.

Am I one of the few people who doesn't feel this is a good move or are there more out there?

Not that I don't like Savage or think he is a good player, I just don't feel he is the player that we need.

I think a holding midfielder like him is exactly what we need. However the price needs to reflect his age and the fact that no other clubs appear to want him - so we should just wait until Birmingham just have to let him go.

Savage's behaviour kind of puts that of Duff and Dunn in perspective. Duff obviously wanted to go to Chelsea and even when Liverpool were linked, he kept his trap well and truly shut. Dunn did the same - unless I've forgotten something.

3rd bid for savage about Tuesday of next week I think.Keep in touch with him daily at home and let unethical Brum stew.

Whatever happens if you want to keep Bazza at the Club you fans of him need to stiffen the boards resolve not to accept £4m to £5m from anyone.

Still think we'll see Savvo at Pompey.At least he is a bit of a character,profile for the club and may help to get more fans in(which is still the root of all our problems)

Keep your nerve Rovers!!

£3m is too much for someone of his age. If he was 27 years old I'd have no quibbles with it, but at the moment we won't be getting good value for money.

As much as I'd love Savage to be here, I still can't see it happening. Brum can afford to let him rot. We can't afford to keep upping the bid just to satisfy them.

I tell you, we are winning every battle to get Savage.

John Williams' new offer was well structured and his statement brilliantly balanced yesterday.

Brum can carry on shouting their mouths off (thank you for your particularly inarticulate contribution Steve Bruce), be left to sweat, or quietly negotiated with behind the scenes.

Interesting its gone a bit quieter today.

Brum not as strident and the players are saying it is disruptive.

Edited by philipl

I think a holding midfielder like him is exactly what we need. However the price needs to reflect his age and the fact that no other clubs appear to want him - so we should just wait until Birmingham just have to let him go.

Savage's behaviour kind of puts that of Duff and Dunn in perspective. Duff obviously wanted to go to Chelsea and even when Liverpool were linked, he kept his trap well and truly shut. Dunn did the same - unless I've forgotten something.

Don't seem to remember him being classed as a holding midfielder Rover 6, and can't exactly say when I have seen him play that is what he does

Anyway, maybe its the old school in me, but I probably feel this way due to fact I am not into the holding midfielder lark that gets bandied about unless you are playing the diamond shape - to me there are two central midfielders who should share the responsibility and work up a 2 way relationship whereby they know their role should the other go forward for an attack or defend deep. thumbs-up.gif

Birmingham have again showed their hypocrisy (and definition of loyalty) by cancelling Forsell's loan from Chelsea due to his injury. Whilst I would expect most clubs to do this, in the context of their comments about Savage looking after no. 1, and the fact he was a long term target of theirs for a permanent move, I think it shows exactly how they view their players, and they shouldn't be in the least bit surprised when they get the same treatment back.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.