BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Savage Signs

neekoy

Why doesn't Savage come out with a respectable excuse like............... all the women in Birmingham are ugly

at least then people will believe him even if he's married, never stopped Flitcroft

Edited by chris

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you keep a player who clearly wants to leave?.

You can't in the long run unless you're prepared to pay his wages for doing nothing .

All Brum are doing is kicking up a fuss and bumping up the price in the process - very successfully it seems if they get over £2.5 mill. I'd hope we'd do the same in similar circumstances .

Still owe us over half of the Dunn money I think, I'm not sure about the rest

Then we shouldn't have any trouble signing Sav! Brums shouldn't be able to refuse any reasonable bids...they may have some payment deal with us but still...

Still owe us over half of the Dunn money I think, I'm not sure about the rest

From whats been said we offered the same deal to them as they gave us for dunn but with less money in each section reduced accordingly!

They owe us money for tiny still, as that was on them staying up and in installments i think. DJ was a straight deal as far as i know!

It would be easier as has been said to just pay them say £1million up front and cancel the moneys from dunn & tiny(unless they add up to more than £2.5mil)

I'd welcome Savage to the team to solidify central midfield, but I fear that as the price rises, the deal is looking worse and worse for Rovers. £3.5 million is a lot to ask for a 30 year old central midfielder whose primary attribute is his combative nature, and I would certainly hope that Rovers could snatch him for somewhere around £2.5 million if they were going to get him at all.

What pisses me off most of all about all this, however, are the Birmingham management and fans. Of course I'd be steaming if my team captain wanted to leave, but to chastise Savage for a lack of ambition and for moving to a smaller club is ludicrous. Take one example--the quote I found from Soccernet.com's Birmingham correspondent:

In any case, I'm not convinced that moving to Blackburn will answer all his problems anyway. Certainly for footballing reasons he'll be taking a backward step in joining a smaller club with less prospects than the more established set-up at St. Andrews..

"More established set-up"? Just because Chelsea were stupid enough to loan you a 20 goal striker and you had one good year does not me that you have a more established set-up. I'd love to see Savage join so we could leapfrog Brum in the table--and I certainly don't see how they can afford to keep a player who doesn't want to be there, as roversmum said.

Theno: what would suggest that the gaffer is looking for a new captain? unsure.gif

Simple. Its cos Hughes is soooo keen to sign him. Savage is not a brilliant player, he's not quick, doesn't arrive in the box and score goals, he's not a midfield playmaker and has no special abilities other than his work rate and hugely inspirational qualities.

On the other hand Fergy's performances are proving that he was significantly overvalued, his wages are probably eating away too much of Hughes budget and has been consistently linked with moves to other clubs.

£3,5m pounds for Savage is ridiculous.. instead, put in a cheeky bid on someone else. Who? Don't know. But 3,5m... mad.gif

Claus Jensen moved for 1.25 million to Fulham. Faye is going for 2 million apparently. Matt Holland moved for under a million (admittedly from a relegated side).

I am certain Savage will improve us. However, as thenodrog states, his main quality is his combative style. At 30 now, how long will he be able to maintain that combative style? Two seasons at most, I believe, before age will take its toll as it has so clear happened with Roy Keane.

If Birmingham hold out for a ridiculous price, as Rangers did for Ferguson and Man U did for Andy Cole - we should wise up and look elsewhere.

Theno:   what would suggest that the gaffer is looking for a new captain?  unsure.gif

Simple. Its cos Hughes is soooo keen to sign him. Savage is not a brilliant player, he's not quick, doesn't arrive in the box and score goals, he's not a midfield playmaker and has no special abilities other than his work rate and hugely inspirational qualities.

On the other hand Fergy's performances are proving that he was significantly overvalued, his wages are probably eating away too much of Hughes budget and has been consistently linked with moves to other clubs.

he is quite quick

he scored against us and hit the post by running into the box late.

his passing is very good

and he can fly....sorry he can't do the last one! wink.gif

He isn't as good as bazza but he is good enough to play along side him

Edited by modes98

We will stay up whether Savage comes or not so I don't know why we're appearing so desperate to sign him, anything over £2 million for a 30 year old would be a bad move by the club. Michael Carrick moved for around £3.5 million...

To judge from the Birmingham statement and Karren Brady's comments today, I have the feeling that Birmingham would rather sell Savage to any other club than us.

Watch Everton snap him up from under our noses.

withstupid.gif

Jim, I was having that same crappy feeling. I can see the Brum looking to unload him anywhere but East Lanc. just to spite us.

But as getting Savage won't make or break our Premiership status perhaps the best thing that can happen to us to be rejected outright & then we start looking to splash cash elsewhere.

At least we can take heart in our current form and the prospects of improvement (dare I say) with more clinical finishing.

Edited by blue/white

I have the feeling like Jim that relations between clubs is not the best.

The Mark Bowen factor wont help matters as Bruce and him dont speak anymore- they would be happier selling him to another club. IMO that is part of the reason for them not accepting our bid.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.