BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 1 Charlton 0

Thought Nissa an Todd were absolutely fantastic today especially Andy Todd when he did mess up he made sure he rectified the situation brilliantly, everyone is just willing the ball into the net for Stead, I’m sure the goals would eventually come, just that when Gallagher came on he looked more lately, I still think we are lucky to have such promising youngsters….Jonathan Stead best cross of the game Shearer like …superb

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The squad that Souness built.

The team that Hughes built.

To date Hughes has had to work with the players that he inherited and he must take credit for transforming players who performances at times last season were'nt fit to wear the shirt.

A defence that was full of schoolboy errors is now gelling to a point that Friedel is becoming a spectator. Just one save to make all afternoon, admittedly a good save that prevented Charlton a certain goal.

Across the back Todd and Nissa are becoming rock solid in the middle, and dare I say it. Todd is becoming the new Short. Even when he made a mistake, he quickly recovered to snuff out the danger.

Whilst Neill isnt attacking so much his defending is improving, although his jinking run into the BBE 6 yard box this afternoon had us all gasping.

Unfortunately Hughes still needs to resolve the left back as it does give me the shakes when ever the opposition attack down the right.

Although not a cultured player, Flitcrofts battling and hard tackling helps to protect the defence and allows Ferguson more freedom to venture forward. Emerton who under achieved the most last season is now showing why he was such a sought after player a few seasons ago, even playing on the left and out of position he causes teams problems.

Whist I have mentioned certain individuals, there are no star players, none that the kid on the park can identify with, this is because the players are playing as a team, they are playing as a unit. That is principally why the team isnt conceding goals.

On todays display I wouldnt nominate any one player as man of the match.

It was a collective performance of individuals who have gelled as a unit.

If I were to highlight one player it would be Stead, who would get my vote for most unlucky player. He grafted hard today, running into channels and trying to create chances for himself. The shot just before half time, after he'd gone round the defender and cut in from the corner looked a goal all the way, until the Charlton keeper got a hand to it.

Lucas was very good as well.

Still showing the lapses though, they had a fair shout for a penalty eh?

He definitely IS playing better than in the latter stages of Souness era though.

and so did we when nissa was DRAGGED TO THE GROUND and dumped on his arse big time in the 2nd half ....it was the most blatent penalty we have NEVER been given.

Hope you had a few bob on your prediction Clare. Uncanny, is the bookmaker connection just coincidence?

Well said Alan. The last half dozen or so games I've seen I really can't remember anyone who has stood out in any one game, and no-one's looked out of their depth. It's looking like a team again. Just to pick out a few and so go against what I've just said wink.gif ........

Todd and Nisse - excellent, especially the blond bombshell

Flitty - looked like back to his ankle biting best of late

Stead - opinion seems split. IMHO, working bloody hard. Only a matter of time before he gets back on track and all those who doubted him will get indigestion from the humble pie.

Even Matteo (yes, even him) is doing OK but he looks the weak link to me. Touch of the Amorusos about him. I think it was Rommedahl who got him booked today? On about half way, just knocked the ball past him, and he'd have been away but for Matteo hauling him back. But maybe I'm being picky and should just have another beer.

Like everyone else I'm chuffed that we got the three points today.

From games over the past 18 months or so it wouldn't have been surprising if we had lost. Maybe GS has take "Lady (bad)Luck" with him to Newcastle. Or maybe it's just a lot more hard work and fitness.

Something there that reminds me of the golfer Lee Trevino (I think it was him) who said "The more I practice, the luckier I get."

But, I don't think anyone else has mentioned this. Was that first half, until we scored, just about the most boring and rubbish 40 minutes of football we have seen at Ewood?

Does anyone know the bloke who was called over the PA system to go to Queens Park Hospital? "I think you'll know what it's about" said the voice.

Presume he's now a Dad.

I went to the game and we won- this is good! (Maybe now I don't have to turn ALL communication media off and go shopping- avoiding shops where they sell televisions- when I can't go????)

Agree with most of Alan's comments. Matteo scares me witless, and I think Ferguson's head's in Glasgow, but apart from that I thought we looked just that one step ahead of Charlton at all points.

Onward and upwards

Does anyone know the bloke who was called over the PA system to go to Queens Park Hospital? "I think you'll know what it's about" said the voice.

Presume he's now a Dad.

no it was rover6 doc his padded cells heating was fixed !

Awesome result- we look like a team now.

Cant post or see the transfer topic thread for some reason- on a new computer!!- so will put the latest news here. Of course the Savage story is dominating the news- some papers even saying it is a done deal... not sure about that yet.

However we are very close to signing Tomo Sokota- however we are looking into issues regarding his registration- he is a very good player by the way and we are getting him on a nominal fee as his contract runs out in the summer.

Will put links when I get them....

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/...1382693,00.html

Edited by John

He's a striker- we're buying a striker. I'm very excited. we haven't got enough of those. And this one's quite tall and dosn't look like a drink of water.

Very exciting!!

(By the way did you work out that I'm very excited by the thought of us owning a bona fide striker who isn't four foot three or able to be blown off the ball by someone breaking wind close to him???)

Still not happy with Flitcroft I'm afraid. Gets the ball, passes it back to whoever it came from once or twice, then goes awol for a while. Puts in the odd clumsy tackle.

Matteo can't cross; when he gets a free kick he dithers about with the ball and then passes it to an opposition player. He's no better with throw-ins.

Stead was real class. He's beginning to stand up to defenders and not so easily pushed off the ball, was unlucky not to score.

Thought Thommo did well, bit scrappy at first but once he got going didn't allow anyone to settle, good passes and crosses.

Todd and Nissa - magnificent as usual. Lucas Neill - back to his best.

Dickov - real pest and threat.

Emerton - great goal and should have scored a second.

Ferguson - no complaints about his game

Friedel - safe hands, no worries.

Gally - would have left him off today personally, didn't feel he looked very sharp.

No-one has mentioned the appalling refereeing. The referee surely was wearing a Charlton shirt under his own. Yellow cards flying about for Rovers and similar Charlton misdemeanours (and worse) ignored for the most part. Fourth Official cosying up with the Charlton Crew and actually asking asst manager how much extra time he should give (was told 4 minutes....). Chased one of our crew (think it was Mark Bowen) who dared to question a decision back to the dugout and had words with him.

Can't be bothered with a big match report - it's all been said already anyway. I was really impressed though with the work-rate of the team today, considering the amount of games recently. We just closed Charlton down all over the pitch and out-worked them.

We could, and should, have won by more but we don't seem to do things easily so we had to hang on in the last ten minutes. No matter, hang on we did and we've now opened up a nice little gap between us and the bottom three.

Special mention for Todd who was tremendous today and bailed out mistakes from Nissa on a few occasions. And, dare I say, that I thought Flitcroft was excellent again. For the 3rd or 4th game running he's been the most competitive midfielder on the pitch. I also thought Stead put in a much improved performance after a couple of shockers. He just needs a goal.

Finally, I thought it was very noticeable how tired Newcastle looked tonight against WBA!

I am probably just looking for more positives in Hughues's management effort, but I speculate that substituting Stead at the point in the game he did, as well as being a good tactical switch to bring on Gallagher, was also a protective measure of Stead. By all accounts, he had a good game, but the goal just didn't come. Better to sub him at that late stage, before Stead over does things in the last 10 minutes, and turn a good performance, to a bad, demoralising one.

Very happy with the win. Even though it would probably be more than enough, I hope we can push on to the 42/43 point mark that would mean safety in any other season. I would be happy enough with that.

Lucas was very good as well.

Still showing the lapses though, they had a fair shout for a penalty eh?

He definitely IS playing better than in the latter stages of Souness era though.

and so did we when nissa was DRAGGED TO THE GROUND and dumped on his arse big time in the 2nd half ....it was the most blatent penalty we have NEVER been given.

Watching the Sky coverage, the wrestling to the ground of Nissa was an absolutely blatant penalty but I watched the movement of the players in the box and neither Wiley nor the linesman would have had the clear view the camera in the JW gantry got.

Lucas Neill did not get a touch on the ball at the other end so that should have been a penalty as well but again from Wiley's perspective, Neill would have been seen to get extremely close to the ball (he only missed it by a fraction) and the impact of the challenge caused the ball to deviate as though Neill had got a touch on it.

I guess if Wiley had given one penalty, he would have given the other as well.

The press has been very positive about the Rovers but very negative about the size of the Ewood crowd.

Where have all the Ewood crowd gone to!?!?!

Its perplexing.If theyre waiting for us to challenge for the league again before they re-appear then they will be waiting for years.

I don't know it's poor to be honest.

The club has done their best to give the fans Premiership football at very good prices and allowed a kid for a quid in and it still fails.

I don't know why they bother any more.

Great result but I am convinced that some of you wear blue and white specs 24/7.

The first half performance was appalling,apart from the goal we were clueless,uninspiring and without any creativity full stop.

Thank god an improved second half and the result made up for it.

THIS TEAM HAS A LONG WAY TO GO BEFORE SAFETY IS ASSURED AND MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT THAT.

Where have all the Ewood crowd gone to!?!?!

Its perplexing.If theyre waiting for us to challenge for the league again before they re-appear then they will be waiting for years.

Im gutted living down london and most of my work is on sat mad.gif all the match reports you guys do for those not able to attend is very much appreciated.

ps I once finished work at 3 pm drove 220 miles to blackburn watched rovers get beaten by Lyon got back to london at 230 am was at work for 4.00 am, so I have no excuses really blink.gif

Once the crowd realise that we're not going to suffer the boring fare that's been on view for the past 2 years (or at least that there's a fighting chance we might actually WIN some games) they'll be back. I don't think it'll take us challenging, I just think that it's been soul-destroying watching the rubbish that's been on offer, coupled with anger at the whining about ref, lady luck etc.

I have a bad feeling that Rovers will HAVE to offer the cheap tickets again when the likes of Fulham,Southampton and Norwich come a calling or the lowest crowd of the season yesterday could be well beaten!! sad.gif

Sign of the times I'm afraid.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

yesterday was the most dire and boring game i have seen at ewood park for a long time. both teams looked very tired, thus the constant showing of not being mentally prepared for this match. mistakes abound in both teams....normally after a win at ewood park for rovers, i walk away fully enthused, but could not find anything (other than a win) to get excited about.

Once the crowd realise that we're not going to suffer the boring fare that's been on view for the past 2 years (or at least that there's a fighting chance we might actually WIN some games) they'll be back. I don't think it'll take us challenging, I just think that it's been soul-destroying watching the rubbish that's been on offer, coupled with anger at the whining about ref, lady luck etc.

Please Jan Please Jan Please Jan Please Jan Please Jan

LET IT LIE

Please wink.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.