SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Souness Out!

LeftWinger

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good win and performance from them that should not be named in case Jan has another fit.

Shearer is a dirty hypocritical @#/? at the moment though (more than he used to be anyway)

366185[/snapback]

ooooh! Are you glasses a little on the green (Jade) side tonight Flopsy?

Shearer allways played like that for us! And we never complained!

tongue.gif

Allways had a soft spot for NFC its just their current manager I would laugh at if I saw him burning in the street! Even with what he gain for us his departure will allways leave a taste of sh1t in the mouth.

Does anyone know what illness discussed in this article Dyer has? They make it sound like it is common knowledge, but as far as I can tell, Newcastle announced that Dyer has an illness without elaborating.

366634[/snapback]

sounds like depression? That'd explain the drugs making him more prone to muscle injuries i think...

Excellent post from philipl, sums it up nicely. Personally thought he lost it when Cole went on a free. Awful decision which left us with a strikeforce made up of Dickov, Stead and the last-minute rescuse package of, er...., Jay Boothroyd.

By then though he had been placed on a long-term lucrative contract. Rovers - and especially John Williams who made it continually known that Souness was his man - got very lucky thanks to Newcastle.

364678[/snapback]

Souness is a man who is still living on his reputation form the 80s, and its wearing very thin.

I can't see him lasting beyond early Jan, and it would not surprise me in the slightest for the desperate Gers to take him back. Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire!!

• 2 weeks later...

For some unfathomable reason, Alan Green allocated the entire World Football programme on the BBC to an interview with Souness. Is it any wonder that it is so difficult to raise interest in the Rovers when the Belfast ignoramus mentioned Souness' meagre achievements as a Manager without including Promotion and League Cup and the only mention of Rovers was:

Green: "and then you went to Blackburn for a few years but obviously you jumped at the opportunity when a big club like Newcastle came along."

Souness: "That's correct."

The hoot was that the remainder of the interview was all about how Newcastle never win anything!

One other point- Souness talked in glowing terms about how the great Liverpool side trained- a few sprints and ball work- and how Joe Fagan yelled at him when he asked for matchday instructions after he had just signed for Liverpool: "We didn't pay all the money for you to have to tell you how to play football."

OK for football geniuses but when Souness had got rid of the Rovers' crown jewels, we saw what that approach did for Rovers.

Who are going to thrash Newcastle tomorrow...?

A lot of people cited sour grapes when the departing Norwegians, Martin Andresen and Egil Ostenstad, condemned Souey's training regime at Rovers but there must have been something in their claims. I think Hughes alluded to a lack of fitness amongst the players when he arrived.

Although, (to pre-empt Flopsy wink.gif ) the regime was good enough for us to get promoted (how much dosh did we have compared to Bolton?), win the Worthy Cup (sheff wed in the semis) and finish sixth (a season rescued by Duff's late flourish).

I have to say, though, that at the start of last season I was extremely disappointed to see how unfit the players were and it was no surprise that it was picked up by Mark Hughes as soon as he came.

369036[/snapback]

Its also quite bewildering, seeing as it was a problem that seemed to develop rather than something that had always been the case under Souness. I don't know if it was anything to do with the backroom reshuffle he carried out near the end of his tenure.

Just been announced that Owen is to have surgery which means he's out until April.

Nothing on Given's hand yet- they have to wait for the bruising to go down before they can X-ray.

Rammage limped off with a hamstring as well.

Other than Birmingham or Burnley, couldn't happen to a better bunch.

On the back of one paper the headlines says Bing back King Kev. Ha Ha. Also the match report in the newspaper this morning about Newcastle was damning.

It feels good again being a Rovers fan.............

esp when 2 of the biggest clubs in the world are below us in the league.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Just been announced that Owen is to have surgery which means he's out until April.

Nothing on Given's hand yet- they have to wait for the bruising to go down before they can X-ray.

Rammage limped off with a hamstring as well.

Other than Birmingham or Burnley, couldn't happen to a better bunch.

370436[/snapback]

I don't wish injury on anyone, but from an England perspective this could be the perfect scenario - an enforced 2 month rest for Owen followed by 4-6 weeks getting match fitness and sharpness back should have him in prime form for the World Cup. Just need to hope nothing happens to Rooney now.

From a Newcastle perspective this will either sink them or lead to some sort of mini-revival. Take Owen and Given out of that team so far and they would be not far from Sunderland. However, adversity has a way of bringing out the best in people so don't be surprised if they do okay

On TalkSport about a week ago there was an interview with Alan Oliver a senior reporter who writes for the local paper up there.

He spoke very sensibly and eloquently and said that he had alwys a huge supporter of Souness rght from the start and even when he was under fire but that he could no longer support him after the nature of the recent away performances against Wigan and Liverpool and the controversy about bringing that young lad back from injury too early.

Just to reiterate how much Owen means to Newcastle, they have won only one game (against Sunderland) when he has not been playing and his goals alone have kept the club out of the bottom three.

No wonder Souness was in a foul mood yesterday. Without Owen, Newcastle are sunk and they have no money for a replacement either.

Should be fun to watch events at St James Park over the next few months.

Edited by jim mk2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.