SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Souness Out!

LeftWinger

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rover.gif i watched with intrest at the end off the game,and souey shock every rovers player's hand including bellamy,not one rovers player refused his hand tinykit.gif

347936[/snapback]

I would suggest one or two supporters would prefer to sake the players by the troat. sad.gif

I thought the 'GRAEME SOUNESS IS A W*****' chants were childish and pathetic.

I just sat there shaking my head,no need for it,non at all.

347938[/snapback]

Tend to agree SG but I could have sworn that I heard the tiniest smattering of applause from the Newcastle end in response when that happened in the first half.

After such a fortuitous result however such are the vagaries of football another couple of victories and worGraham will probably be able to do no wrong up on Tyneside.

• 4 weeks later...

Graeme Souness has a massive game at home to Sunderland next Sunday.

It was another poor result for his side today - losing 1-0 to Wigan, which followed on from their previous Premiership performace at Fratton Park. By all accounts they were lucky to get a 0-0 draw with Portsmouth after some fine saves from Shay Given.

Newcastle remain in the bottom half of the table and are clearly still a somewhat mediocre side - apart from their goalkeeper and the lively Owen up front.

Freddy Shepherd described Bobby Robson's last season in charge, where they finished 5th, as "unacceptable". I suspect that even after signing Michael Owen, Newcastle will certainly struggle to reach 5th place this season - which will be another "unacceptable" year for Shepherd.

Souness may have been Shepherd's sixth choice to succeed Robson. It would appear that Sam Allardyce, Steve McClaren and David O'Leary turned the job down.

Even Steve "Loyalty" Bruce, who initially found the idea of working at St James' Park attractive, began to have second thoughts about swapping life at Brum for Newcastle. The 5th name to turn the job down was Shearer, who told Shepherd that he didn't feel ready for the job and that it was too early for him.

It was a job that nobody apart from Souness seemed to want - but Shepherd continues to insist that Newcastle are the second biggest club in the country.

Ruud Gullit lost his job after losing a local derby at home to Sunderland, and should Newcastle lose next Sunday, then the pressure will be firmly back on the shoulders of Mr Souness.

Indeed after Sunderland, Newcastle face a potentially tricky away game at Grimsby in the League Cup - the Cleethorpes side having beaten Spurs in the last round.

Lose to both Sunderland and Grimsby, and Shepherd may well feel that it's time to call an end to the abrasive Scotsman's reign. They do some nice fish and chips though in Grimsby, which Shepherd might enjoy tucking into in the directors box.

The trouble for any potential incoming managers is that the coffers at the club must surely be almost dry. Souness has been allowed to spend in excess of £35 million on Owen, Alberto Luque, Emre and Scott Parker.

With Newcastle out of the UEFA Cup before the qualifying rounds ended, money has apparently become so tight at Newcastle, that Freddy Shepherd has had to resort to some innovative money-making ideas - like the one below.

user posted image

A club spokesman described the sales of the calendar as "steady".

"It's made us seven pounds and fifty pence so far," he said.

The trouble for any potential incoming managers is that the coffers at the club must surely be almost dry. Souness has been allowed to spend in excess of £35 million on Owen, Alberto Luque, Emre and Scott Parker.

353486[/snapback]

Any new manager would still have plenty of quality to work with. And if I was a manager taking over my first aim would be to raise a bit of bunce and free up the wage bill by selling Dire........ and that isn't a spelling mistake either.

btw I never did like the Mags so 'Long live Freddie' !

The fact that Newcastle lost again yesterday, only piles the pressure on Souness. I can easily see him being the first manager to get the sack. We hear him go on about how the team should be judged when everyone is fit-bu**ocks. Freddy Shephard or the fans sren't going to accept a team that is continually losing because big players are out. Even without them, Newcastle can put together a decent side, but they are still crap. To be honest, I don't see them improving dramatically even when the likes of Emre and Luque are back.

Whatever happened to that enquiry Fat Freddy was going to make into the shamlbes of a physiotheropy department the club has.

No one club can have the number of injuries and recurring injuries that Newscastle have had. Something must be wrong - is it Souness making players return before they have fully recovered or letting players play on despite feeling something whilst playing? Or is it that the clun physio and doctors are entirely incompetant?

With a team of fully fit players I think Newcastle could do very well and should be challanging Liverpool for fourth place. I still think Souness is a good manager but a little misguided in his approach to playing players out of position and could easily get sixth place with a full strength line up.

I was fortunate to be entertained at the Wigan game on Saturday, and I can tell you that Sounness' time is almost up.

Fat Freddy was just across the isle from me, and he and his fellow directors were not pleased. Even the side they had out on Saturday should be good enough for top 6. Emre, Owen, Shearer, Given and the young centre half Taylor are all excellent players who with a decent game plan and some tactics should beat most teams.

Boumssong and Ameobi were absolute comedy, and more than one Geordie was calling for the ref to send Ameobi off for the alleged elbow as they thought they would be better off without him.

Souness was going absolutely beserk on the sideline. How I laughed.

The thing for me, is that even though it was time for him to go, - I didn't and still don't dislike the guy.

He gave everything for the club and never had anything but praise for the rovers staff and fans. He simply couldn't see what was happening.

But I couldn't dislike him.

It's hard to dislike the person, given that he gave us great success there can be no argument about that.

What is easy to dislike is that despite leading us to almost certain oblivion and being one game from the sack he landed such a wonderful managerial opportunity.

That's why it so easy to gloat now it's gone pear shaped.

Must admit I can't wait for Newcastle v Sunderland this weekend.

A bad result at St James Park and the Geordie hordes will be baying for Souness's blood.

No doubt there are one or two former Rovers players wishing him well too.

The thing for me, is that even though it was time for him to go, - I didn't and still don't dislike the guy.

He gave everything for the club and never had anything but praise for the rovers staff and fans. He simply couldn't see what was happening.

But I couldn't dislike him.

353844[/snapback]

Hear Hear.

Personally, I'd like to see Graeme retain his job. Newcastle struggling with the 'disciplinarian' at the helm is a right hoot.

353892[/snapback]

me too! Especially cos Fat Freddie might just be eyeing MH as replacement. ohmy.gif

OR whichever club FF pillages for his next manager will view MH as replacement. ohmy.gif

Just musing bit given the way sh1t is piling up for our club re: falling support and bad pr, who could blame MH and his team leaving if they were approached by clubs with greater potential such as Newcastle, Villa, City or Everton? Once the managerial merry go round starts who can predict where it stops?

I think Hughes would be too sensible to go to the Loony Toons. Sure, they have 50,000 fans every game, but they have a team that consistently underperforms, a chairman who is a prat, and have not won anything for 100 years. The vicious impatience of the supporters, as well as their idolisation of Shearer makes life impossible for anyone daft enough to go there.

Hughes haven't been a Premier League manager for a full season yet, so I dubt he will leave us for a bigger club anytime soon. A top 8 finish this season and Hughes surely will recive a lot of praise in the media, but so will the likes of Stuart Pierce and Big Sam if Man City and Bolton get a good run.

Thats life of a small club, we don't get the chance to build a unit that could be in the running for some silveware. If a player becomes a star then a big club will snap him up, and the same goes for the manager... sad.gif

West Ham would surely be among the best in the country today if it hadn't been for this fact.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.