BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lucas Neill

Why are people getting het up about Lucas Neill?

In the words of Fleetwood MacAvennie: "Yesterday's gone, yesterday's gone."

Yes, he told Brownie fibbers (probably because he knew it was going to be all over this website afterwards), yeah he ran his contract down to get a mega-dosh move, yeah he's not satisfied with earning only 55k a week at West Ham. From what I remember though, he said he moved to have a new challenge, not necessarily to win things, and he didn't want to be a substitute.

"Modern-day footballer out for himself, not fussed about leaving current employers shocka! Read awl abaht it! 55k a week not enuff!"

It's a wider pehnonemon than just Lucas Neill.

Absolutely bang on Bryan if I'm not bothered about him telling me 'fibbers', why should other people be ?

No matter what anyone says, he's a top bloke and why do Rovers fans feel they are entitled to dictate to a proffessional with a 10yr career span where he should play ?

Is it only Rovers fans who are so insular ?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Lucas is booed and reviled by people now because he lied about his reasons for going to West Ham, how come he was getting booed whilst still playing for us when we didn't know where he was going to??? At the time we all thought it would be Liverpool.

Edited by Hasta

If Lucas is booed and reviled by people now because he lied about his reasons for going to West Ham, how come he was getting booed whilst still playing for us when we didn't know where he was going to??? At the time we all thought it would be Liverpool.

Because he was conceding penalties and playing awfully just before he left.(that now being Nelsen's perogative)

Everyone is entitled to move and double their salary and in that sense you can't blame them.

The reason I feel badly towards Neill is two fold

1) Instead of being completely honest and coming straight out saying he wanted a move, he pretended he was "keeping his options open" no doubt hoping he would get a less hostile reception off the fans.

2) More importantly, post Jack, I think he's the only player guaranteed a first team place here who has left Ewood solely for financial reasons. Everyone else has either left in an upwards move or seemed able to demonstrate their commitment to Rovers and "scrape by" on the terms offered here.

Your second point is somewhat true in my eyes. I can't think of anyone else. However I also understand that it's a fact of life people will go places for money. It happens in most industries, it also happens in football.

As for your first point everyone knew from the previous summer that he was letting his contract run down and wanted to move. It was Rovers who kept sending out signals that they thought they could get him to stay, not Neill or his agent.

it's a good job we weren't on the end of Savage's exit when he left Brum to Rovers - now that was out of order.

Edited by Hasta

The twist in this one is it was reported widely he was offered £50K at Liverpool.

I thought the widely reported figure at the time was supposedly around 30k a week and most certainly not 50k...why would Liverpool pay 50k a week for Neill? They were paying Bellamy less than that in a transfer that cost them far more than Neill would have.

Be what it may...the lure of living in London and being a regular in the side probably swayed it for him. After being here for over 5 years I don't blame him for moving on. Who wants to stay at the same place for longer than that? Some people do but many people don't.

Lucas Neill would have been a lot wiser keeping his mouth shut rather than spouting rubbish about childhood supported clubs and going to a bigger team. I think the one thing that has annoyed more fans is the utter lack of respect he has shown for Blackburn Rovers in his comments. Why does he get booed? Because he's a greedy git? That possibly has something to do with it but did Bellamy get booed when he came back? Bellamy didn't spout in the press whereas Lucas did.

I thought Bellamy was booed when he came back last year. As for not spouting to the press...Bellamy said there wasn't a clause in his contract and Mark Hughes wouldn't abide by that. Not only was he lying but what on earth is that Hughes thing about? Was he suggesting Hughes didn't know (unlikely) or simply being such a weasel that he was using Hughes's good name to try and back up the lie?

Still....Bellamy came and did well for us so no need for hard feelings now. We did make somewhat of a profit on him as well although not as much as we might have done if it hadn't been for the clause. Would he have joined us without the clause if the clbu had played hardball? That we don't know...

Why should we be grateful to Lucas Neill for playing for us for a few years and then leaving on a free for a bigger pay packet? I pay to watch Rovers, I don't get to see them for free. Quite simply, Lucas should have kept his mouth firmly shut. What he has shown is that he has an over-inflated sense of his own importance.

Neill didn't leave on a free but instead we made a profit on him when we sold him.

All this is trying to make excuses...Neill probably left for to go West Hame for a few reasons namely he wanted a change and, of course, would get paid a lot more for doing his job. What a tosser! How dare he go to another company who offer him a better deal? None of those getting at him would do that would they?

I don't think we should feel grateful to Neill as he was handsomely renumerated and progressed his career at the club but also there is no need for some of the vituperative hatred and bile (calls of 'Judas' are just ridiculous) that is being thrown his way either.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

it's a good job we weren't on the end of Savage's exit when he left Brum to Rovers - now that was out of order.

Compared to how Barry Ferguson left the club Lucas Neill was a model of professionalism. Now that really was leaving the club in the crap. We were in the middle of a relegation scrap as well...

Lucas Neil has a go at the Rovers fans for stating their opinion - isn't it all pot kettle black and children fighting in the playground type stuff? I think the thing that riled the supporters I heard from is the fact that he chooses to say these things in the press straight before a game against Rovers - if he isn't bothered and wants to move on why keep bringing it up? At the end of the day he isn't the first and won't be the last player to leave a club for a "better deal".

Lucas Neil has a go at the Rovers fans for stating their opinion - isn't it all pot kettle black and children fighting in the playground type stuff? I think the thing that riled the supporters I heard from is the fact that he chooses to say these things in the press straight before a game against Rovers - if he isn't bothered and wants to move on why keep bringing it up?

I guess cos that is when whoever in the press asked him for a pre match interview. Pretty pointless angle otherwise duffy.

Lucas reveals all...

West Ham defender Lucas Neill has decided to come clean and reveal the real reasons why he joined the Hammers last January.

Lucas has finally put pen to paper in his new autobiography. The delay on the publication of Neill's book was due to Lucas and his agent haggling over money with the publisher, but Neill is now said to be satisfied with the financial terms of the lucrative book deal.

Neill's book is available in all good bookshops.

617FEqrpg-L._AA240_.jpg

I don't mind him leaving but it's the pack of lies he told as to the reason...He said some crap about feeling a volcanic heat from West Ham...If he had said they are offering more money and I fancy London as a new home I can forgive that...Not a load of bullshit... :angry:

Edited by chocky

I don't mind him leaving but it's the pack of lies he told as to the reason...He said some crap about feeling a volcanic heat from West Ham...If he had said they are offering more money and I fancy London as a new home I can forgive that...Not a load of bullshit... :angry:

Same here Chocky, youve summed it up there.

He managed, for the umpteenth time in his PL career (it was ok when he played for us!) to not give away a penalty despite two blatent offences - the shirt tug followed immediately by the handball.

It is extraordinary how he gets away with it time after time.

• 2 weeks later...

Lucas risks the wrath of Curbishley for his Chinese trip

Lucas says: "People say 'why would you want to go and play for Australia in the middle of two English Premier League games?' It's an honour, it's a privilege."

I can't knock him for wanting to play for his country - but I can knock him for his declaration that going to West Ham had nothing to do with money.

Lucas tried to pull the wool over the supporters eyes, instead of being honest. That's why he will continue to be booed by a section of Rovers fans each time that he comes back to Ewood Park.

lol, lets post an unrelated news story about Lucas to revive the thread then slag him off for something completely different.

Lucas tried to pull the wool over the supporters eyes, instead of being honest. That's why he will continue to be booed by a section of Rovers fans each time that he comes back to Ewood Park.

Probably the same sections of fans that booed him whilst still playing for us and still giving his all when we thought he was going Liverpool. At that time his only crime was to be honest to the club and the supporters over his intentions to want to leave Blackburn and not try and pull the wool over their eyes.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting story coming from wham about our Lucash is that following the game he was involved in a bust up with a non playing member of whams staff in the tunnel. It ended with him falling to the ground and receiving a "minor" injury to his hand.

Neill was awful against Chelsea at weekend, Chelsea's first came from Anton Ferdinand having to try and dash over to cover for him as he was badly out of position and of Chelsea's first three goals originated down that side.

The "ammers fan who mentioned "contract negotiation" has it bob on. Nothing quite a few of us on here couldn't have told them mind............

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.