BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lucas Neill

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought he was a genuinely nice guy when I met him a couple of seasons ago.

Thought he handles the transfer badly and personally I think we'd be better off looking at younger targets now, shame as I like him as a player but think he's burnt his bridges with us.

He's a terrible defender and a penalty conceeding machine. No thanks, not even if he played for free. Even Emerton is better.

how can you say he is a terrible defender?, i will have him be back if he was on free and was happy to lower his wages.

He's a leg breaking, penalty conceeding liability.

Him and Bentley will be good partnership on the right, Emerton his a good player but i much prefer him in midfield then at RB. If he was still wearing the blue and white shirt now, u won't be calling him, because when he was at Rovers, he was one of our best defenders we had.

I would be happy if he comes back and happy if he doesn't.

Lucas has various big investment plans in Oz for when he finishes playing and the Wham Lucash deal was all part of the plan. He's likely to be offered the same as Ljungberg (GBP3m) to go away from Upton Park but he is sure to still have his eye on the $$$.

Lucas' problem is that he has slipped from being the highly rated player he was at ewood and I would be amazed if a Big 4 would be interested now. However, there are enough clubs with deep pockets for wage bills around for someone to snap him up before Rovers would be a realistic option so the Lucash worriers needn't get bothered about it.

Could be a natural fit for the barcodes depending on who or what is running the show up there.

Cheeky b*****d indeed. He was in the Knowles Arms sauntering about as if he owned the place. Personally I wouldnt go drinking in a town where I have upset the locals when there are plenty of other places to go but I am a pretty live and let live guy so I didn't worry about it to much.

However what did annoy me was when the bar was about 3 deep with Bank Holiday punters awaiting a pint for about 15 minutes and our Aussie friend saw fit to get the attention of the dizzy blonde barmaid behind the bar and jump the queue, then gave her a £2 coin for her trouble. What a big spender, that must have made a dent in his wages, but he is lucky that no one gave him a good hiding for his trouble as it was fairly late on and most people had had quite a few. The barmaid wanting a word in her ear for that one as well.

What a muppet. If behaving like a knob over his Rovers transfer wasn't enough for me to dislike him, this act of pathetic celebrity certainly was. :angry:

I work in a bar and people try and cut in front about 200 times a night, I've yet to see anyone famous in though. It's just how people behave, although it isn't right. I doubt the barmaid even knew who he was.

rubbish. for the last 2 year of his rovers spell he was one of our best players, he gave nothing less than 100% in every game he played, can play both full back sides and centre half and was also quality in world cup 2006

there's no doubting his move to west ham was borne out of greed and its amusing it seems to have backfired. As has been previously said, he handled it badly because he publically stated he wanted to leave. At least he was honest though and didnt hide behind a transfer get out clause like a certain mr bellamy!

In my opinion if he became available in the summer for an affordable price, was prepared to accept a real cut in wages, and wanted to come back, Hughes should really consider going for him

It would be a disaster to take him back. He is a reasonable guy I think, nothign wrong in the way he decided to go (thats his choice, its his life), and was a very good right back for us. However why invite problems by bringing someone in who is not that much better than what we have (Emerton) and will have a problematic relationship with the fans and possibly the players?

I could easily see it turning in to a complete farce of him being booed by his own fans, being distracted, etc etc. Better to leave it.

The only former players I think would be worth taking back are Bellamy (same problems as Niell but so exceptionally talented and precisely the sort of player we need so it would be worth the risk) and Duff (that would just be one giant love in- even if he may not perform as well as he used to).

It would be a disaster to take him back. He is a reasonable guy I think, nothign wrong in the way he decided to go (thats his choice, its his life), and was a very good right back for us. However why invite problems by bringing someone in who is not that much better than what we have (Emerton) and will have a problematic relationship with the fans and possibly the players?

I could easily see it turning in to a complete farce of him being booed by his own fans, being distracted, etc etc. Better to leave it.

The only former players I think would be worth taking back are Bellamy (same problems as Niell but so exceptionally talented and precisely the sort of player we need so it would be worth the risk) and Duff (that would just be one giant love in- even if he may not perform as well as he used to).

i hope Rovers stay well clear of Bellamy and Duff, they only manage to play about 10 games a season, then are sat on the sidelines injured for the rest of the season.

We managed a couple of Nani chants and One greedy etc etc chants which I know he heard over the band that was on. All a bit of fun really. No major problem with the guy apart from him using his fame to jump a long bar queue...he can play for whoever he wants to, clearly his loss, but I like to think we made him feel just a little bit uncomfortable, as is only right given the circumstances...

'We'? :rolleyes::wstu:

How childish and embarrassing! Since when has anybody's choice of workplace been anything to do with you or anyone else? I just hope for your own future self esteem that it was the drink that fomented the bravado and that you are feeling stupid now.

How childish and embarrassing! Since when has anybody's choice of workplace been anything to do with you or anyone else? I just hope for your own future self esteem that it was the drink that fomented the bravado and that you are feeling stupid now.

Oh here we go again, the arbiter of of good sense and behaviour has had his sensibilities offended again because someone has the nerve to have a pop at Lucas Neill.

Of course his choice of workplace has something to do with us! That and his conduct towards our club means that Neill gets all he deserves.

I'm going out in a bit so wont see your reply if you bother. Please try and keep personal abuse out of it for a change if you do.

Edited by deryck guyler's spoon

"We" a first person plural pronoun would be the definition I would use, but for your benefit "it wuz me un annuvver mate wot did it..."

It was bit of harmless fun, and if Mr Neill's choice of workplace wasn't up for debate then I very much doubt this thread would even exist. The same goes for all public figures, rightly or wrongly, it is just the way the world is. No grief was caused and I didn't see or hear any of the other possibly four or five people within earshot, including our financially endowed friend Lucas have any kind of problem with it. If the days of harmless banter are over then football grounds are only going to get quiter I would suggest.

I would argue that my "own future self esteem" is as intact as my present version, extraordinarily healthy and vibrant, and I am sure that I have rarely felt stupid, and expect it to be an infrequent, yet educational experience in the future.

I would however question the self esteem of somebody who can post such a scathing and ill-informed remark on the basis of very little provocation, which incidentally is something you appear to have made a habit of over the years. Starting your username with a lower case letter also suggests a lack of self confidence, not to mention the fact that I can clearly see the name "Gordon" written backwards in there somewhere too. But then again I have made a play on a Star Wars characters name for mine, so perhaps it is fair to suggest that you can't read too much into what someone posts?

There are a number of good counselling and self help services detailed within the Yellow pages I am led to believe...don't suffer in silence...

Regards,

luaphtrad

This.

His disciplinary record is bad, and he gave away many penalties as his judgement is bad - the thing that annoyed me most about him leaving was that he was putting in inept performances and costing us games on a Saturday then in the papers on Monday he was saying how he was leaving as if he'd become to good for us! It showed incredible arrogance.

Neill and Brett Emerton are very similar. They are two good athletes - in great shape and very very fit. However it looks as if someone has spotted them at a young age, noticed their athletic prowess, and tried to turn them in to footballers. As a result, they do not have the natural ability that you would expect of Premiership footballers born and bred in football dominated countries. This in turn results in them making bad decisions and having suspect judgement.

The difference in my view is that Emerton is without the dodgy temperament/attitude that Neill has, thus making him the (slightly) more attractive option.

would i have him back ...no...why...because anyone that scores a goal in the blue and white and THEN runs back and cups his ears at the blackburn end can go shag kangaroos for me.Let him go and win medals at brum or fulham(no offence ffan).Orient even.milan,barca or even chelsea hahahaaha loocas$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$h

"We" a first person plural pronoun would be the definition I would use, but for your benefit "it wuz me un annuvver mate wot did it..."

It was bit of harmless fun, and if Mr Neill's choice of workplace wasn't up for debate then I very much doubt this thread would even exist. The same goes for all public figures, rightly or wrongly, it is just the way the world is. No grief was caused and I didn't see or hear any of the other possibly four or five people within earshot, including our financially endowed friend Lucas have any kind of problem with it. If the days of harmless banter are over then football grounds are only going to get quiter I would suggest.

I would argue that my "own future self esteem" is as intact as my present version, extraordinarily healthy and vibrant, and I am sure that I have rarely felt stupid, and expect it to be an infrequent, yet educational experience in the future.

I would however question the self esteem of somebody who can post such a scathing and ill-informed remark on the basis of very little provocation, which incidentally is something you appear to have made a habit of over the years. Starting your username with a lower case letter also suggests a lack of self confidence, not to mention the fact that I can clearly see the name "Gordon" written backwards in there somewhere too. But then again I have made a play on a Star Wars characters name for mine, so perhaps it is fair to suggest that you can't read too much into what someone posts?

There are a number of good counselling and self help services detailed within the Yellow pages I am led to believe...don't suffer in silence...

Regards,

luaphtrad

So it wasn't the drink.

Edited by thenodrog

Of course his choice of workplace has something to do with us!

I'm going out in a bit so wont see your reply if you bother. Please try and keep personal abuse out of it for a change if you do.

OK no abuse (although I wasn't aware that I'd been abusive anyway). When you've a minute though please expand upon the sentence in bold. I'm unclear which part of employment law you have taken that from.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.