BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 3-0 Saints

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I predicted 3-0 elsewhere (have I won Udders?) and started to get worried that I was underestimating Rovers. For parts of the second half we were awesome, and Harry was gracious to admit that not only were his team not as good as the have been, but Rovers played extremely well.

Nelsen was magnificent yet again - the airkick he did to deliberately fool the Soton striker to let the ball run out of play was almost as funny as Andy Todds headlong tackle a few weeks back.

Todd is inspirational.

Neill had his best match for 2 seasons.

Emerton beat players!

Mokonea had obviously been replaced by an Auton replica. This one can pass and what passing!

The lead meant Toogs had the freedom to do what Toogs can do.

Reid might have finally convinced me that he is a Premiership player; shame about Matteo confirming the opposite.

MGP is an enigma. Scores the hardest of his chances and fluffs the easy ones. But when he gets the ball, I get excited. Thats what we need.

Happy bunny tonight. smile.gif

rover.gif WAS REALLY WORRIED BEFORE HAND,but soton were very poor.they brought 2-2,500 fans who deserved more.i thought first half until tommo got injured we were great,his knock took the shine off a very bright start.

in the 2nd i thought emerton and tugay gave sparky something to think about next week.both looked sharp and hungry,and a ball player will be needed if we are too unlock they highbury defence.

mgp scored a very good goal,i was waiting for the keeper to come off his line,i think mgp was as well,when he remained stuck to his line mgp just slotted the ball between his legs.

mgp dead ball delivery especially corners were brilliant,the third goal came via one.

the defence was impregnable,todd and nelsen were excellent.6 foot ten crouch was never in it,speedy camara was tortoisesq,phillips was marginally better when introduced at half time,but the ewood vault remained shut.

has brad had a easier afternoon?special mention to lucas who played well.le saux i did not know he was on the pitch till nearly half time,he then did not reappear.

still we are virtually safe,and i look forward to sparky blooding a few youngsters after cardiff tinykit.gif

Fantastic result and an all round excellent performance.

Rovers started off well and took full advantage of Southampton's suspect full backs. Delap normally plays midfield and it showed. Early on he left a huge gap behind him where the rb should be for Pederson. Thanks to an exceptional pass from Mokeana, Pederson was through one and one and took his goal well. I thought he might have knocked it a bit wide but MGP excels in these situations. Rovers continued to press on both flanks and had a blatent penalty turned down, when one of the Saint's handled the ball under pressure from Reid. Had that been given the form Rovers were in it could have been a really high scoring goal. As it was Rovers continued to dominate until the latter end of the first half, MGP should have had a hattrick, when they had their traditional sloppy spell, giving away the ball and allowing Southampton to play a bit. This coincided with Tommo's head injury. The guy was doing ok - though not great - until his head injury but after that really looked off the pace. In effect Rovers were playing with ten men, as he got everything wrong. No suprise that he was replaced by Emerton at half time, but perhaps a few question marks over why Hughes waited until half time to make the substitution.

Southampton also made a substitution at half time bringing Phillips on thus changing to a 4-3-3. If anything this worked to Rovers advantage, Mokeana dropping a bit deeper to pick up the extra forward when needed. Which wasn't often as with only three in the middle Southampton struggled to win the ball, especially with the ferocity of Mokeana and Reid - the guy has limitless energy. More importantly, it was left mid Le Saux who came off, leave bernard, who had looked suspect till Tommo's injury with no protection. Rovers took full advantage of this and mercilessly got the ball out wide, and it was no suprise that Rovers second goal came from a wide position, Jakobsen accidently converting Reid's cross. Rovers got a third soon after from a corner - the corners looked good all game. Reid deservedly got his goal slotting home at the far post after a nice ball was played back from a mele at the near post. Rovers could have had more. Some powerful runs in particular could have ended in goals for Emerton and Mokeana. The second part of the second half saw Rovers pass the ball around comfortably, and try to catch Southampton on the break. Harry seemed to realise he'd made a tactical blunder and brought on an extra midfielder for Camara, and replaced the beleagured Banard, which helped, and Southampton managed a few token attacks, forcing a good save from Friedel. Overall it was Rovers day, and on another day they would have had a few more. Most importantly it showed that we can score even with the 4-5-1, and that we are defiantely a side of Premier League quality. We looked miles better than Southampton.

Friedel - made the few saves he had to make well, pretty flawless though inactive for long periods of the game.

Neil - brilliant, got his tackles in well, disrupted the Saint's play and was a real danger going forwards.

Matteo - I'm not his biggest fan but he had a good game today. Defensively did his duty well, and though not brilliant his distribution and forward runs were much improved.

Nelson and Todd - had the attack in their pocket they dealt with Crouch's high supurbly and were unphazed by Camara's trickery.

Mokeana - just edges man of the match over Neill with an awesome diplay. Defensively the guy was immense and in the centre of midfield he won everything and disrupted any play Southampton tried to have. Most encouraging was his distribution. Probably completed more passes than any team mate, got forward well when neccessary and at times like the first goal showed excellent vision.

Reid - ran his socks off all game and was a threat throughout - an all round midfielder. Stupidly booked. Savage will struggle to get ahead of these two.

Flitty - another pain for Southampton, disrupting the midfield, though his contribution was curtailed by injury. Still looked to support the attack at times, an intelligent game from an old pair of legs.

Tommo - slow start, was beginning to get into it with a few good runs. Then he got concussd and my word he was shocking thereafter.

MGP - should have had a hat trick. His ball control was a tad suspect at times, but defensively worked his socks off, caused loads of problems and took his goal brilliantly.

Dickov - worked hard, fairly quiet game though. No real chances.

subs

Emerton - looked threatening and unlucky not to score after a brilliant run. Some good passes though he always seems to cut inside.

Tugay - his type of game. A tad overconfident but sprayed it around well.

Stead -didnt quite work for the lad, a few times got in a decent position but didn't get the pass he wanted. A few half chances.

The most exciting moment (possibly of the season) came for me when Dick(ead)ov held up his hand fully 25 yards away from the person who had the ball, and instead of the panic and 97 passes we normally get for it to reach him, a superb cross-field, 25 yard ball landed RIGHT at his feet. The culprit? One Aaron Mokoena. And that WASN'T the goal. (this came slightly after)

I've waited about 8 years to see that again. from when we used to have players who could make passes like that.

There was some superb passing going on today - Mokoena was the main 'culprit'. Far too many balls to feet over a good distance, Neill also got a few in, Matteo got in on the act as well.

I feel positive again about the Rovers, thank you lads.

I was one who was critical when Souness left and Hughes took over

but I have been so impressed with the coaching and organization of the team since he came that I have to acknowledge what a great job he is doing. That was the most satisfying performance for 2 seasons and a great sendoff before next week. I am so pleased for my 2 personal favourites in Neill and Emerton who had good games but the real stars are the 2 signings Nelsen and Mokeona; where on earth have they been for the last 3 seasons? More displays like that and the crowds will come back.

I was one who was critical when Souness left and Hughes took over

but I have been so impressed with the coaching and organization of the team since he came that I have to acknowledge what a great job he is doing.

But do you acknowledge what a poor job Souness was doing in the year or so before he left?

Took a City fan to the game today, I was quietly proud of my team. He bought a Rovers at Cardiff scarf ready for next weeks, back home in the local John the Rochdale fan who’s also coming to Cardiff was a tad disappointed we hadn’t picked him a scarf up too…..We Shall Not, We Shall Not Be Moved!!!! tinykit.giftinykit.giftongue.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.