BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Worst Ever Rovers Player?

The current edition of FourFourTwo magazine has a list of the worst players at each league club. As usual, it is heavily biased towards the more recent players, almost all of them since the Premiership began with very few (if any?) from before the eighties. So the worst United player is Taibi, for Liverpool it is Phil Babb, Chelsea have Winston Bogarde and of our local rivals Burnley's worst player is deemed to be Steve Harper (who?), for Preston it is Mark Leonard (who?), Bury have Mark Sertori (who?) and Blackpool plump for Steve McMahon (who I didn't think even played for them?). huh.gif

Other players of interest to Rovers fans on the worst ever list include Mike Newell for Doncaster Rovers for his time playing for them in the Conference. calamity goalkeeper Mike Dickens at Rochdale and at Southampton it is Ali Dia, who of course tricked our former boss into believing that he was George Weah's cousin. Never been sure why even if that were true why he should have got a game. What on earth has being a cousin to someone got to do with being a footballer? blink.gif

As for the worst Rovers player, FourFourTwo say step forward Kevin Davies. A disastrous signing who cost a fortune and repaid it by helping us to relegation. One league goal and one cup goal in a season. That was bad but worse was to come, I'm not sure if it was ever confirmed but the allegation that Davies and Omar Konde (a similarly uselss Rovers signing) were spotted in a Preston nightclub the night before the game against Manchester United that sent us down. Not sure if that was true or not but if it was then Davies deserve the title of Worst Rovers Player.

Leaving aside the rubbish players we had when before Jack Walker, such as Sean Curry, we have had some stinkers in the recent past.

Ashley Ward - Ashley I believe holds the record for being relegated from the top flight (at least Premiership) with the most clubs; four. Something to put on his CV there. Ashley tried very hard but...he was sh1te for us.

Christian Dailly - we paid over five million for him you know.

There are more and I hate to think just how much money we have wasted on poor players or those who haven't delivered the goods, but Kevin Davies the worst for us? Yeah, I think they got that right. Who else can compete for sheer awfulness? We could probably put a first eleven out of terrible signings from just the last decade.

VOTE FOR THE WORST PLAYER EVER

rover.gif pre jw we had more donkeys than blackpool beach,stuart parker was my favourite nag.

since 90 we have had dozens,shearer the scotch one,upteen scandanivians pedersen,gudmansun,dahlin.and the kidd era off our ashley,grayson and numerous others who did not register in my solvent abused brian.

the clown sourness signed a few donkeys,namely from his former teams.hodgson did it particular well,wasted jack's millions with venom,oh the joys off ewood tinykit.gif

They've got it right there. Donkey Davis, what a waste of money.

Allardyce has proved that there is nothing wrong with Davies as long as you play to his strengths, keep his weight off and dont pay 7 million for him. I'd place him behind Grabbi and Dahlin (player was fine but we bought a crock) anytime.

The first time I realised what an unforgiving bunch Rovers supporters could be was when I saw the treatment handed out to Jimmy Quinn. Some

of the support was merciless and hounded him all game. An international (OK, it was only Northern Ireland but that was quite impressive for us then...) being jeered and abused all game.

Not sure if he was one of our worst players or not but the Ewood crowd sure as hell acted like he was.

Steve Agnew?!? David Hamilton!? Gordon Cowans?!?! Am I hearing you right? Shurely shome mishtake?

Davies

Grabbi

McKinnon

Three strikers apparently.

It's a close run thing for me between Ciccio and Kev - I'd say Davies - but pound for pound they were both absolute rubbish.

Cowans was a maestro. I think someone must be getting him mixed up with someone else. What about the 1st premiership season, he was superb.

Agre with most of yours MC but would probably go for Ashley Ward as the worst ever.

I assume also that CirenRover is joking when mentioning Gordon Cowans, he was very pivotal when we came up...

Jimmy Quinn was a sensation at the start I remember an FA CUP run when he scored twice away at Swindon after we were 1 - 0 down at half time, the door on our mini bus was ripped off when we were in a tarffic jam after the match ...but thats another story...The mighty Quinn also has a feature on Football Focus for us form when we were unfashionable and never mentioned in the press!!

John Lowey was OK..

David Hamilton was OK also

BUt for 7 million Grabbi's display at Boxing Day against Sunderland was the worst ever in a rovers shirt!! Though Jay tried to match it against the Dingles..

Dailly was pants as was John Butcher, bu then I once saw him have a blinder at deepdale in the Anglo Scottish

Joey Craig was also carp!

The first time I realised what an unforgiving bunch Rovers supporters could be was when I saw the treatment handed out to Jimmy Quinn. Some

of the support was merciless and hounded him all game. An international (OK, it was only Northern Ireland but that was quite impressive for us then...) being jeered and abused all game.

Not sure if he was one of our worst players or not but the Ewood crowd sure as hell acted like he was.

I remember one occasion when Quinn was being booed during the pre-match warm up !

I think that Paul McKinnon was the man brought in to replace Quinn. Now he was truly dire !

Jimmy Quinn was a sensation at the start I remember an FA CUP run when he scored twice away at Swindon after we were 1 - 0 down at half time,

How ###### were you Berkshireblue? Quinn was playing for Swindon that day and put them 1-0 but Killer Keeley pulled it round for us with 2 2nd half goals.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.