BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Glazer Set For Utd

Three years ago Barca were absolutely AWFUL. Now look at them. Look at Madrid now, but can anyone see them not being a force in five years?

These cycles come and go, but IMHO United will rise again very shortly.

365674[/snapback]

As far as I am aware Barcelona were not up to their eyeballs in debt with foreign absentee owners who in order to make their bankers happy have to make a turn on their "investment" within a very short period of time.

Barcelona were able to spend their way out of trouble by buying players such as Ronaldinho. United do not have that option.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I am aware Barcelona were not up to their eyeballs in debt with foreign absentee owners who in order to make their bankers happy have to make a turn on their "investment" within a very short period of time.

Barcelona were able to spend their way out of trouble by buying players such as Ronaldinho. United do not have that option.

365678[/snapback]

They were up to their eyeballs in debt.

They did what United can quite easily do. United are a big enough club to borrow any money they want, as they know they will get it back one way or another.

Say what you want about the Glaziers, but they made a massive, massive success out of a much smaller club in America, making huge profits. United on that basis should be childs play for them.

United, I think, will spend big and spend well this summer. I personally hope they do, and become great again, as any challenge on Chelsea makes our league much better, and Southeren dominance makes me sick.

There was a good documentary on the BBC about Barca a while ago. It was following Laporta as he sought to remould the board of directors, and sort out their debts. It was during the season Rjikard became manager, Barca sunk, signed Edgar Davids, and then stormed to second place.

I don't know how solid the foundations of their current spending power are, but Laporta came across as an astute and professional businessman.

Edited by Billy Castell

As a life long Manc hater, this down turn in fortunes is mildly entertaining. It will only get to rib tickling proportions if they slip to 5th or below in the Prem- Rovers and Boro apart, Prem clubs have made a poor fist of exposing a rather vulnerable Manc team.

Shilito is correct except for the reasons jim and Flopsy pointed out.

They have a seriously under-powered squad (even by comparisson with most Prem clubs- I'd take Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Newcastle when fit, Boro subs benches unhesitatingly ahead of the Mancs and rate their subs no better than most other Prem clubs except Fulham and Sunderland) although Rossi is a gem coming through.

I suspect the Glazers didn't sanction any transfer spending of note this last summer in order to save for a rainy day- well its raining.

The Glazer plan is heavilly dependent on pushing season ticket prices up. Unlike the Chelsea supporters, numerically the majority of the 67,000 deluded fools are no better off than folks living in Blackburn so I suspect there will be resistance to price hikes. Another 7,500 seats to fill in the corners next season remember.

Interesting times. Anyway the Glazer softies haven't fired Ferguson yet and today is the ideal time to do it. With Ferguson talking about three more years etc., he will have to be got rid of because he won't walk so they might not have a better time to get rid than now.

Oops, just seen shillito's most recent post and hadn't realised jan was right. wink.gif Shillito, haven't you noticed that the Mancs are now "owned" by the Glazers? The Mancs are £500m in debt having been used to achieve all the forms of borrowing known to man and then some more besides. The hedge fund contracts specify exactly how much the Mancs can spend on transfers, wages and sure as penguins is penguins won't allow for any more borrowing unless the sugar daddy Glazers reach into their own far from voluminous (relative to the Manc problem that is) pockets and put the cash in personally.

As I wrote at the time, the Manc adventure by the Glazers is a big gamble for them as they simply don't have the financial clout to be sure of protecting themselves. The guys who I expect will own/control the Mancs will be the hedge funds who have actually structured a very nice deal for grabbing Man U for themselves in the rather likely prospect of the Glazers failing.

Edited by philipl

I hope they go bust, and Ruud comes to Blackburn on the minimum wage. Yeah, I know that's as likely as Tom Cruise being a heterosexual Anglican vicar, but we can dream.

Man Utd are in the poo if their fortunes don't revive very soon. They may even be figting Bolton for a UEFA cup spot by April.

Man Utd are in the poo if their fortunes don't revive very soon. They may even be figting Bolton for a UEFA cup spot by April.

365684[/snapback]

ManU will finish 2nd in the PL, wait and see. They will surely invest in a few players come january if they are having a bad spell.

Things that would really lift my depression next year:

5. Revenge tackles on Essien and Diouf

4. Mourinho getting a slap in the face (literally not metaphorically speaking)

3. Rovers to finish in top 6

2. Man Utd finishing in mid-table

1. Brum relegated (don't ask me why this is higher than Rovers)

0. Dating Kirsty

Oops, just seen shillito's most recent post and hadn't realised jan was right. wink.gif  Shillito, haven't you noticed that the Mancs are now "owned" by the Glazers? The Mancs are £500m in debt having been used to achieve all the forms of borrowing known to man and then some more besides. The hedge fund contracts specify exactly how much the Mancs can spend on transfers, wages and sure as penguins is penguins won't allow for any more borrowing unless the sugar daddy Glazers reach into their own far from voluminous (relative to the Manc problem that is) pockets and put the cash in personally.

As I wrote at the time, the Manc adventure by the Glazers is a big gamble for them as they simply don't have the financial clout to be sure of protecting themselves. The guys who I expect will own/control the Mancs will be the hedge funds who have actually structured a very nice deal for grabbing Man U for themselves in the rather likely prospect of the Glazers failing.

365682[/snapback]

Point taken, but put it this way, if the Glaziers think another £50m-£60m this summer will help them reach their long terms goal quiker (ie. By building a successful team) then I'm pretty sure they will do so quite happily.

The Glaziers I'm sure will have noticed the team isn't good enough, and isn't going to get any better without reinforcements. Without these reinforcements United could easily slip out of the top four year by year, and the financial implications this would have on the Glaziers are unthinkable.

I would expect an expensive new top manager with a nice little war chest to be unleashed this summer, and as I've already said, I hope this is the case.

Apart from me being perfectly happy to see someone other than the Mancs chasing Chelsea, the Manc problem in a nutshell is:

1) The hedge funds take over if the Glazers don't hit the financial performance targets for the Manc business,

2) The hedge funds have written limitations into payroll and transfers.

3) Six months after the start of the deal, the first tightening of the hedge funds' control over the Mancs will now be happening,

4) Six months into the deal, what stunning new marketing initiatives or money-making deals have the Mancs announced? Where is this American business chutzpah which is going to show the Eurpoeans how to run a soccer franchise?

Lets say you are a hedge fund manager. You have put £210m into the Manc borrowing by the Glazers who have conveniently helped you exercise control over the Mancs by putting your debt onto the Manc balance sheet. Either the Glazers find some £370m over the next five years to pay you off or step by step you gain operational control over Man Utd until you get ownership of the whole pile of whatsit.

Now are you going to help the Glazers by relaxing the rules? Only if the Glazers pay through every orifice of their being are you going to.

Are the Glazers going to keep on gambling to ever more ridiculous extremes?

That is the only question left to be answered. There probably will be an attempt to salvage the wreck but I fully expect the Mancs will become a net selling club living within their means. If I were the Glazers, I'd fire Fergie, hire someone like Mark Hughes, flog off Ferdinand (before Ruud/Rooney et al flog themselves) and bring in the likes of Gravesen and another four or five proven Premiership defenders/midfielders using the allure of OT to unsettle and get them at knock-down prices. Of course, the Glazers are not savvy with English football and no doubt will hire one of the Italian magic roundabout managers who are perennially available- here's hoping so. rover.gif

Meantime, last night in Lisbon hasn't helped getting a replacement for Vodafone any easier. In fact as Vodafone are a pan-European brand, they exited the England-bound Mancs with perfect timing.

Edited by philipl

They were up to their eyeballs in debt.

They did what United can quite easily do. United are a big enough club to borrow any money they want, as they know they will get it back one way or another.

Say what you want about the Glaziers, but they made a massive, massive success out of a much smaller club in America, making huge profits. United on that basis should be childs play for them.

United, I think, will spend big and spend well this summer. I personally hope they do, and become great again, as any challenge on Chelsea makes our league much better, and Southeren dominance makes me sick.

365680[/snapback]

United do not have access to the resources that have allowed Barca to get to the position. Barca also have a very good manager who has got them playing very well, United similarly do no have that luxury. They may get back to a position of dominance but it will be a bad thing for football if they do.

Another interesting post from phillipl about financial matters. Sounds like Man Utd have to finish 2nd to make sure they don't end up having to adjust their squad to fit a new, more thrifty era in the club's history. I do hope they get a big spending manager who finds it difficult to work with financial restrictions.

The only thing that will stop Chelsea is if Abrhamovic finances politicians who oppose President Putin, and he is too smart for that.

The sad thing about all this, is that no-one seems to be talking the most important things.....FOOTBALL & the FANS.

As ever, the only thing Man Utd seem to be concerned about is

MONEY!!!

....& that typifies why i hate them. wink.gif

Edited by cletus

It's pointless the Glazers sacking Ferguson at this point - he's as good if not better than anyone on the European scene and will be up to the job of keeping UTD in the Champs league spot if nothing else . That is now their new level whether the fans are realistic enough to accept it or not .

Can anyone think of a manager who could replace Fergy , challenge Chelsea and the cream of Europe whilst working within the financial restraints - and keep the glory hunting fans happy in the transition period necessary to complete such a massive task ..?

I can think of only one manager capable of that .......but unfortunately Cloughie is dead !

I thought Barca was owned and funded by some sort of  co-operative business model?

I understand when the decision was made to allow shirt sponsorship last week this was a vote?

365714[/snapback]

Barca are owned by their members so it is in effect a co-op of sorts. Where did you hear they are allowing shirt sponsorship? I can find nothing on this anywhere and would be amazed if it was true.

Barca are owned by their members so it is in effect a co-op of sorts.  Where did you hear they are allowing shirt sponsorship?  I can find nothing on this anywhere and would be amazed if it was true.

365831[/snapback]

I cant remember exactly what publication i read it in but i was in Uni at the time, so i imagine it was in Marketing week or a german paper. I would guess at the former.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.