BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Glazer Set For Utd

Glazers as described by an American journalist. Not necessarilly true but according to that piece, the Glazers are well-capable of telling lies.

If they convinced everybody they would stump up half the cost of the new Tampa Stadium then didn't, what are their assurances on TV revenues worth?

I noticed they squeezed 10,000 fans out of the Tampa stadium to make way for more corporate seats. No doubt they will try that trick on the Mancs.

331636[/snapback]

There's plenty of room for disaffected or displaced Mancs down at Ewood Park.

Edited by MCMC1875

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Glazer takes legal action against Manc fans in the USA

I am sure John Williams would be happy to write to them promising them the Rovers would give them every encouragement to display the club crest if they started to support a decent football club.

Being serious, this is an absolute outrage by the Glazers. Probably the first of many.

Yes, god forbid they protect their trademarks.

349530[/snapback]

theres a big difference between protecting your trademarks and looking after your customers. In this instance i would have thought there was a significant case for any non-profitable use of the club logos by supporters (eg fan sites, tatoos, painting the logo on your kids bedroom wall etc) to be allowed for marketing purposes. Even the dodge brothers wouldnt argue against that one.

Obviously some trader whos sat outside your club shop is a different matter completely, but this ruling smacks of American capitalism at its worst.

theres a big difference between protecting your trademarks and looking after your customers. In this instance i would have thought there was a significant case for any non-profitable use of the club logos by supporters (eg fan sites, tatoos, painting the logo on your kids bedroom wall etc) to be allowed for marketing purposes. Even the dodge brothers wouldnt argue against that one.

Obviously some trader whos sat outside your club shop is a different matter completely, but this ruling smacks of American capitalism at its worst.

349626[/snapback]

Do Blackburn Rovers allow the non profit making fans internet forum known as brfcs.com to display the clubs badge anywhere?

Glazer takes legal action against Manc fans in the USA

I am sure John Williams would be happy to write to them promising them the Rovers would give them every encouragement to display the club crest if they started to support a decent football club.

Being serious, this is an absolute outrage by the Glazers. Probably the first of many.

349477[/snapback]

Its nothing new, why do you think we don't use the Rovers crest at all, or print the fixtures any more. ??

Do Blackburn Rovers allow the non profit making fans internet forum known as brfcs.com to display the clubs badge anywhere?

349629[/snapback]

No, but as we are all aware, Rovers marketing strategy is crap/non existent.

And that wasnt the point. The point was more that Man Utd didnt seem to have a problem with this when they were a plc, probably because some brains (kenyon?) had figured out the good points behind allowing fans to use the crest. Funny they do now that they have Glazer in charge, who seems to think he can run the club as a private business interest and still make money on the fans after pishing them off to a stupid degree.

Having said that, it'd probably work in America, and it may actually work in the UK.

All football clubs protect their trademarks, as do all multinational corporations. As do the vast majority of people who have them (otherwise they wouldnt trademark them) If it was anyone other than Glazer no one would bat an eyelid.

Edited by stuwilky

All football clubs protect their trademarks, as do all multinational corporations. As do the vast majority of people who have them (otherwise they wouldnt trademark them)  If it was anyone other than Glazer no one would bat an eyelid.

349638[/snapback]

A brief walk past Elland Rd on matchday will show you thats not true. Although as many of the items there infringe Man Utds copyright as Leeds!

Nike have, for a long while now, followed a policy that means they arent chasing up subvertisers and the like, and it doesnt seem to do them harm. Mcdonalds, on the other hand, have had this sort of policy turn round and bite them on the ass several times.

Jeez, i come home for an hours dinner and im still talking about Nikes marketing policys blink.gif

rover.gif i was on the back shift last night and did not see the fcum programme on the bbc,but things like this are going to alienate more utd fans.i heard on century last month utd had made so many employees redundant,this got no press.what is it with this country and americans,even blair accused the bbc off being anti american over the new orleans floods tinykit.gif

One minor, but I felt significant, sign I noticed from OT at the weekend was the non-presence of the traditional fan-made banners from the Stretford End (on the front of the top tier). I don't know if this is club inititive or wether the banners now adorn FC of Manchester, but the Stretford end without the X number of games since City beat United and "Republic of Mancunia" etc looked very odd.

One minor, but I felt significant, sign I noticed from OT at the weekend was the non-presence of the traditional fan-made banners from the Stretford End (on the front of the top tier). I don't know if this is club inititive or wether the banners now adorn FC of Manchester, but the Stretford end without the X number of games since City beat United and "Republic of Mancunia" etc looked very odd.

349860[/snapback]

I also noticed that.

349860[/snapback]

Speaking to a Utd season ticket holder about the same thing on Monday morning, she was under the impression the owners had been asked not to bring them again...I'll try and get some more info.

It's a shame, because as much I dislike the Utd fans, I felt the banners added a lot of character to the Stretford End - especially when it's full and the crowd (for once) make some noise!!

Edit: don't think so dan, if I remember correctly, they just had a small 'Manchester United' one in the corner.

Edited by percy

• 4 weeks later...

Good article that.

I was talking to a plastic from Preston that I met last night in then pub. Still banging on about us 'buying' the title, obviously he chose to gloss over my point that they paid more for a duff centre half than JW did for the entire team of 94-95. He also failed to provide me with the name of a team that has won the top div in the past 30 years that has not spent big money on players.

He said Chelsea have ruined football and need reigning in by the authorities so that the proper status quo is returned! laugh.gif

Yet another case of 'Ye who have eyes and cannot see' eh?

Edited by thenodrog

"Empty seats and gloomy atmosphere at Old Trafford will have set alarm bells ringing for accountants"

That headline typifies everything i hate about Man Ure!

It`s just purely seen as a business....profits, profits, profits! that`s all what matters.

The Buccaneers stadium may need repairs if that hurricane strikes that part of Florida as well, so that may be more money spent, and Mould Trafford being an even more of a financial strain. They should have bought out a team like Liverpool, Newcastle or even Villa for far less $. All pretty high profile clubs, and all worth far less than £800m or so.

Then again, who cares ?. I love seeing Arsenal and Man Utd struggling to make the Champions League positions and the smaller teams like Wigan and Charlton in their place.

• 5 weeks later...

Now here is an interesting dilemma.

Do we want Benfica to defeat the Mancs and knock the Glazers out of the Champs League? There will be some delicious afters- the Manc purse strings are so tight that failure will immediately feed through to a reduced transfer fund, inability to sign the likes of Ballack, setting aside of £5m to pay-off Ferguson and buy-out his successor....

Of course, they might come to Ewood looking for the successor and get up to no good looking for new sources of funds for the Mancs at the expense of the rest of football.

On balance, I'm cheering for Benfica.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.