BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Craig Bellamy - Good Signing Or Not?

What do you think of the signing of Bellamy?  

423 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the signing of Bellamy?

• Excellent, he was no 1 on my list.
    • Very happy, not my no 1 choice but still very good.
    • Pleased, think he'll do a good job.
    • Uncertain, not sure he's right for us.
    • Disappointed, don't think it'll work out.
    • Appalled, think it's a dreadful mistake.
    • Wouldn't Grooby have been a better option.

shearer coz he did it for a number of seasons

but bellers is getting close

392314[/snapback]

Sorry Bellers isn't even close to Shearer at the moment. How many games has he actually played for us ? Yes he has looked good - but he still has a way to go.

However - I will say that he is without doubt the best striker we have had since Shearer.

And probably our fastest player - after Donis and Windy Miller (boy could he move).

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say that when it became clear that we were after Bellamy, I wasn't that pleased. I had always seen him as a Milan Baros type of player, who used his pace to get into good positions, but was never a consistent goal scorer. I'd have prefered it if we had signed Benni McCarthy. But now, I'm delighted that we did sign him. Over the last couple of games, he has shown consistently how good he can be and that he can be the 20+ goals a season striker that we have been looking for. When you consider the amount of games he has missed through injury, then it makes his goals for us even more remarkable. If we could sign a quality partner to go with him, then we'd have a seriously good team.

Plus the fact that he works so hard for the team is a joy to watch. No one wants to win more than he does!

392330[/snapback]

Was nice to see that when he mis-hit a pass to Emerton against Boro , he apologised immediately

Then again when he doent get an accurate pass, he does show his displeasure biggrin.gif

He has set the standard that others should strive towards.

Ive noticed MGP gets quite alot of Bellers' displeasure!

392340[/snapback]

But they were also very quick to congratulate each other on the goals. There's obviously a great team spirit.

Was nice to see that when he  mis-hit a pass to Emerton against Boro , he apologised immediately

Then again when he doent get an accurate pass, he does show his displeasure  biggrin.gif

392338[/snapback]

There was one instance on Saturday when one of Emerton's crosses from the right (Jack Walker side) went over the strikers into the Riverside. Craig Bellamy shouted at Emerton to get his attention and then pointed directly at the goal as if to say "I was kind of hoping to put that cross in here" or "this is what the goal looks like"- couldn't quite work out which.

Edited by Jan

We really need another top striker in the summer I think. Ok we wont have the cash for another Bellamy but we need another consistent striker. Dunno bout anyone else but the more goals Bellamy scores the more worried I get about what will happen if we lose him for a few months (or permanantly).

Glass is half empty today tongue.gif

We really need another top striker in the summer I think. Ok we wont have the cash for another Bellamy but we need another consistent striker. Dunno bout anyone else but the more goals Bellamy scores the more worried I get about what will happen if we lose him for a few months (or permanantly).

Glass is half empty today  tongue.gif

392454[/snapback]

Bellamy cost £3.5m. We're 6th. we must have budgeted for about 12the. That's 6 places better. That's £3m extra.

On the down side,he was £3.5m in a forced sale (a forced sale by Newcastle because the manager hated him- snigger) and is clearly worth about £10m. Could we get Souness to manage Arsenal for a wee while and then maybe we could get Henry for £3.5m????

Jan, was he 3.5m or 4m. I know it was undisclosed but I was under the impression he was 4m. I'd be more than happy to be wrong on this one. He's been a bargain.

Benni is out of contract next year so could be a fairly cheap purchase. I'd imagine Porto would have to drop there asking price now. I'm sure he could forge a good partnership with Bellers

Now where's that Dahlin money!!!

The two posts above relate to transfer fees only of Bellamy and Benni. When wages, bonuses and signing-on fees are factored into the deal it would probably be closer to 10million! Admittedly it's worth it for Bellamy and if he does leave we should be handsomely compensated but for any transfer of such ambition in the future then Rovers have to be careful.

The money wasted on the likes of Grabbi, Davies, Ward was such a missed opportunity. To a lesser extent, the money squandered on the likes of Jansen and Cole , who cost over 10million between them but we ended up letting go for nothing, hurt a bit too. Jansen and Cole at least were great in parts for Rovers but they still ultimately cost a fortune.

If we are to spend big in the future, then we need to make sure it is worth it.

Hughes got it spot on last summer however and right now he seems to be on a winning streak... thumbs-up.gif

There was one instance on Saturday when one of Emerton's crosses from the right (Jack Walker side) went over the strikers into the Riverside.  Craig Bellamy shouted at Emerton to get his attention and then pointed directly at the goal as if to say "I was kind of hoping to put that cross in here" or "this is what the goal looks like"- couldn't quite work out which.

392421[/snapback]

Jan, as a footballer, still playing, I know many on the same team say, "here dave, this is where I wanted it." It just doesn't happen every time. You just don't get the "perfect ball" everytime. If that happened we'd never have been relegated, always be No 1. It does not happen to human beings. Football, whilst being a simple game, is full of complexities such as speed, angles and unknowns (referees, turf and opposition players).

The two posts above relate to transfer fees only of Bellamy and Benni. When wages, bonuses and signing-on fees are factored into the deal it would probably be closer to 10million! Admittedly it's worth it for Bellamy and if he does leave we should be handsomely compensated but for any transfer of such ambition in the future then Rovers have to be careful.

The money wasted on the likes of Grabbi, Davies, Ward was such a missed opportunity. To a lesser extent, the money squandered on the likes of Jansen and Cole , who cost over 10million between them but we ended up letting go for nothing, hurt a bit too. Jansen and Cole at least were great in parts for Rovers but they still ultimately cost a fortune.

If we are to spend big in the future, then we need to make sure it is worth it.

Hughes got it spot on last summer however and right now he seems to be on a winning streak... thumbs-up.gif

392478[/snapback]

FLB, football is a bit like the Curate's Egg, "good in parts' You get some "goodens" and you get some "badens".

Must admit, I'd never considered Jansen's and Cole's exit in those terms, but it's a fact.

I'll be joining you with the humble pie Roy.

Before we signed Bellamy, my view was decent footballer but often injured, gobby little git on the field, liability off it. About the only way he's 'lived up' to expectations is with injuries. He's been way better than a decent player, had a few yellows for dissent but been for more restrained than I thought he'd be on the field, and (providing this Cardiff nightclub issue is something and nothing) been hardly any bother off the field. A risky buy that's paid off in spades.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.