BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Espanyol Attendance?

What is a proper fan?

Before the 90's and the Sky era, the bulk of attendees were low earning males. Many of those regular addicts had been weaned off going through thick and thin long before the title.

Yes there are a few hundred women going.

Yes there are a few hundred families going.

Yes there are a few Asians going.

Yes there are a few X5's in the car park.

Yes there are a few who have a 3 course meal before the game.

Yes it's clean.

Yes it's safe.

But the tens of thousands of working class males who conceived, played and watched the professional game know that it's become more expensive, boring and sanitised. In the mid 90's the Ewood gate was 'artificially' swelled by casual support, there were even families who had been always been known as Burnley followers holding ST's in the BBE lower!

Professional football has sold its soul to Mr Murdoch's Sky.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway you speak like its a rip-off but exactly how much do you think BRFC make out of these events?      [/b]

337347[/snapback]

They will make profit as they will have about 50-60 % of usual matchday staff, security etc not needed at the game. Also they get valuable home match preperation before the new season.

I think had tickets have been £7.50, there would have been double the crowd, without having to open any more parts of the ground.

Thats the same income and doubl the crowd. Maybe I've missed the point but that would suit everyone.

I can only assume that the absence of comment on yesterdays match attendance  is because no one from this board was piggin well there!  Adjectives to describe our disappearing support have now gone from 'concerning' or 'disappointing' to downright bloody 'EMBARRASSING'!  Sod the fact that it was just a friendly this was the first chance to see this seasons BRFC (new players and all).  We should be looking forward to new begginings under Mark Hughes but it appears no-one gives a flyingfcuk! 

337301[/snapback]

I think it's somthing to do with the fact that the attraction of a pre season "non-match" on a warm summers afternoon is less than appealing

and if everybodies saving their coppers for the season ahead and we get 25K+ average what is the problem?

saying that the Sunday Times quoted our gate as of "Championship size"

One thing I do lament about this site is the lack of any opposing clubs fan views on matters like fan loyalty,relative ticket prices and the perception of Rovers fans as a whole.Could spark some interesting debate and open the eyes of a few!

One week to go and we haven't had a single Hammer say hello!

Infact we dont get many non-Rovers full stop!

Once again the ticketing pricing policy was all wrong . Fair enough a quid for kids but any savings made by taking the brats was lost by the overpricing for the adults . Were the kids supposed to go on their own FFS ?

Also a bit stupid to draw attention to the fact on the big screen that you can go against Fulham for the same 15 quid . Does that not suggest that they're taking the p1$$ a bit ?

A great opportunity to get people through the gate and interested in Hughes's team by pricing tickets at a fiver for adults and one or two quid for the kids was once again squandered by the bungling amateurs at Ewood . The market place rules and any moaning about the inhabitants of Blackburn (or half of them at least) is just plain pointless .

The plain truth is that although people claim to be supporters Blackburn simply does not have enough die-hards to maintain a Prem team without somebody else chucking money at it.

337336[/snapback]

You are entirely correct, so what we need to do it turn arm-chair fans into walk-on fans, walk-on fans in to regular attendees, regulars into ST holders, ST holders into die-hards. This is the only way to get the attendances we require.

How do we go about this ? Not by castigating those we need to come more often for not being "proper fans".

For once I understand why Scotty feels the need to add "numpty" at the end of each reply.

Once again the ticketing pricing policy was all wrong . Fair enough a quid for kids but any savings made by taking the brats was lost by the overpricing for the adults . Were the kids supposed to go on their own FFS ?

Also a bit stupid to draw attention to the fact on the big screen that you can go against Fulham for the same 15 quid . Does that not suggest that they're taking the p1$$ a bit ? 

A great opportunity to get people through the gate and interested in Hughes's team by pricing tickets at a fiver for adults and one or two quid for the kids was once again squandered by the bungling amateurs at Ewood . The market place rules and any moaning about the inhabitants of Blackburn (or half of them at least) is just plain pointless .

337366[/snapback]

Either I'm in a bad mood, or those folks who normally make sense on here (on footballing matters at least wink.gif ) are being particular dumb today.

It's becoming obvious the £15 per head is the break-even point for Rovers. Now, I'm all for loss-leader promotions to get new fans in, but I couldn't think of a WORSE game than yesterday to do that with. NOBODY in their right mind goes to Pre-Seasons for the football, it's not a game thats going to encourage people to come again (OK, so yesterday was an unexpected exception, 4 goals and a far from friendly friendly), so the only reason to drop the prices would be to keep the whingers happy.

... and how does that pan out ? The club loses money on the game and the die-hards end up paying for it (because they always pay over the odds for another game).

The £15 stategy was a disaster .The gate could have been doubled if not tripled if the prices were lower . The money taken may have amoounted to about the same . The extra crowds might well have been tempted to return for the when the real football starts . A false economy by the money men at Ewood - they missed a chance to get people interested . 5000 proves my point and disproves yours .

Rovers should try and attact a better and local opposition.

if fulham can attract Celtic at home then I am pretty certain that Rovers could entice either them or rovers feeder club Rangers to Ewood.

Guaranteed 10000 visiting supporters, guaranteed turn out from Rovers supports and a crowd of probably around 24-26k

who needs espanyol,lazio,the donkeys ??

think nearer to home next season Rovers and you will see the ground fill

Am I alone in thinking the Fulham game,the first home game of the season, (probably going to be played in good weather and with new signing Bellamy + new team enthusiasm on and off the pitch)would have been an ideal opportunity to have a ticket promotion to attract a higher than expected gate....what would there be to loose?

Have Rovers missed an opportunity here? huh.gif

Nevertheless , Glenn , it's a topic that needs talking about if we're going to survive long term in the prem . Let's hope Scotty is a little more articulate in his new role as an ISA spokesman.... biggrin.gif

337371[/snapback]

The size of our crowds for pre-season friendlies has no link whatsoever to our future survival in the prem. Bolton attracted about 2000 yesterday yet will be sold out most games this year so that tells you all you need to know. It is not even worthy of a topic.

Nevertheless , Glenn , it's a topic that needs talking about if we're going to survive long term in the prem .

337371[/snapback]

That, I wholeheartedly agree with.

Let's hope Scotty is a little more articulate in his new role as an ISA spokesman.... biggrin.gif

337371[/snapback]

Bugger, I must have missed the public meeting where Scotty stood for and got, the post of media liason. Here was me thinking it was still just an informal group trying to push the thing forward until the initial elections unsure.gif

The £15 stategy was a disaster .The gate could have been doubled if not tripled if the prices were lower . The money taken may have amoounted to about the same . The extra crowds might well have been tempted to return for the when the real football starts . A false economy by the money men at Ewood - they missed a chance to get people interested . 5000 proves my point and disproves yours .

337373[/snapback]

Yeah, because every other low-price ticket incentive at Rovers has been such a huge sucess unsure.gif

I tuely believe that you could have given the tickets away free to anyone who went to the TO or rang and I doubt we'd have put more than an extra 1000 on the attendance. Currently people aren't intrestested in the product, I think price is just an excuse.

Now don't get me wrong, I understand *why* people "couldn't be arsed" with a pre-season and I wouldn't criticize them for it, but I think many of these use price as an excuse. Lets face it, pre-season friendlies are like reserve games, even when they cost next to nowt, very few turn up, not because of the cost, but becuase they don't care enough (don't get me wrong, I don't go to reserve games myself, because "I don't care enough", why would you ?).

If Rovers were a widget selling company, somebody would have long ago decided the international-pre-season widget was nothing but a mony-pit and stopped selling it.

The size of our crowds for pre-season friendlies has no link whatsoever to our future survival in the prem.  Bolton attracted about 2000 yesterday yet will be sold out most games this year so that tells you all you need to know.  It is not even worthy of a topic.

337377[/snapback]

for a better comparison Middlesboro attracted 4000 for their game against Espanyol today.

It seems nobody can be bothered with preseason.

Am I alone in thinking the Fulham game,the first home game of the season, (probably going to be played in good weather and with new signing Bellamy + new team enthusiasm on and off the pitch)would have been an ideal opportunity to have a ticket promotion to attract a higher than expected gate....what would there be to loose?

Have Rovers missed an opportunity here? huh.gif

337376[/snapback]

£15 tickets ISN'T a promotion ? Oh, thats EVERY cat B game isn't it. thumbs-up.gif Actually, if Fulham was our SECOND home game I'll think that would be ideal, but turn out for the first home game is traditionally quite good regardless of who we play isn't it ?

Rovers should try and attact a better and local opposition.

think nearer to home next season Rovers and you will see the ground fill

337374[/snapback]

Amen to that, very good turn out at Preston, Blackpool and even Oldham in recent years should be the clue to that for Rovers.

Why is everyone getting in a fizz over such a non issue? It was a friendly game! And as previous posters have stated we had a higher attendance than both Bolton and Boro, two teams who had higher gates than us last season. Bolton have sold out of season tickets for this season, hardly proving waning interest in the game, yet only 2k turned up for the friendly.

There is a time and a place for crowd issues and I am sure they will be everpresent throughout the season, but lets get some perspective and discuss a good performance from our team yesterday

Yesterday's attendance was disappointing considering we topped 10,000 for Barcelona, Sporting and even Chievo (I think) in previous pre-season show cases.

The risk of local "friendlies" is that they aren't. I know that Espanyol were downright hostile blood thirsty hoodlums but generally playing top flight international opposition is a chance for an excellent test without the passion of a local derby. Besides which, apart from Wigan and Bolton, all the neighbours were opening the coca cola yesterday.

Espanyol was a bit of a disaster as far as choices go for the 'illustrious' opposition. Even Crystal Palace and Leicester played Inter Milan...we got some Spanish also-rans.

If we can't get one of the major European clubs then we should get local opposition, like other people have suggested.

BLUE PHIL IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE IT WHY DONT YOU VOLUNTEER TO HELP THE ISA??

and can make these comments to Rovers, but you wont because that might involve you doing something constructive

much safer to hid behind that keyboard eh wink.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.