BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Espanyol Attendance?

I wanted to be there, and so did my brother in law.

Unfortunately i was getting married, and though we toyed with the idea of makng a run for it at 2.45pm, we thought better of it. I will miss the match against fulham too as i will be on honeymoon but i promise i will watch us beat spurs if thats ok?

I hope this thread is still viewable by then as this is my last post before i set off on honeymoon...

ps. yes it was worth it!

Edited by ffberryb77

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too true Roverich - I did not go to the 'friendly' yesterday, and plenty of other seasonticket holders and casual Rovers fans didn't.

Solace for the Ewood-attendance angst-ridden but I saw more Rovers shirts (of various vintage) in St Annes yesterday afternoon than any other team (including Tangerine ones - obviously at Bloomfield).

The age, social make-up and sex demographic of the Ewood crowd tells its own story, as MCMC succinctly posted above.

Sorry I had the ordacity to disagree, I'll try and make sure it doesn't happen again.  thumbs-up.gif

337453[/snapback]

Ordacity? wtf's 'ordacity when it's at home? What's going on Glenn? Remember I'm supposed to be the numpty / thicko on here........ at least as far as you and Bluto are concerned! tongue.gif

Sorry to burst the bubble but I (and family) went on Saturday and had a great time! Thought the atmosphere was pretty good and the lads did well under severe provocation. Quite funny really, Rovers being named by some as 'Bully Boys' got quite a kicking from Espanyol who got away with a fair bit until the ref suddenly woke up when Dickov got a smack right in front of him! I rather thought Sparky was chancing it a bit leaving some of our key players on with that lot and indeed poor Matty well and truly copped it!

Anyway, it's the middle of the school holidays, cricket and athletics and other summer pursuits going on so all in all I'm not to worried about the turnout.

The crux of the matter will be whether the team can pick up some early results to encourage the floating fans to trickle back.

Edited by roversmum

Despite saying how expensive the tickets are elsewhere on this site I did go! Nice to see the goals but Rovers get a grip if your going to put a game like this on next year get pricing right!!

337554[/snapback]

It's not the pricing Bob, it's the opposition.

If we had played Burnley how many would have turned up? In fact, maybe that's what we should do next year. If they don't turn up for Burnley, they wont turn up for anyone.

Either that or play Celtic.

Leeds had their lowest gate for 15 years yesterday...just 20,000 turned out to watch their home game with Millwall.Away fans were banned but that wouldn't have made much difference.20,000 from a city of 700,000 inhabitants puts matters into perspective.

Where the hell have the other 20k gone!! biggrin.gif

The three North East clubs all have good time fans. As said on here many times, Newcastle supporters don't turn up in the bad times. Not too long ago there was a large waiting list for season tickets at Middlesbrough, soon to be followed by a half empty ground as their form slumped for a couple of seasons.

Sunderland had gates of 48000 when last in the prem. Relegation saw them down to 20000 just a season later. All those three "massive clubs" can lose up to 25000 fans overnight.

Compare that with Man City who attracted 30000 in the old third division. No comparison.

Leeds had their lowest gate for 15 years yesterday...just 20,000 turned out to watch their home game with Millwall.Away fans were banned but that wouldn't have made much difference.20,000 from a city of 700,000 inhabitants puts matters into perspective.

Where the hell have the other 20k gone!! biggrin.gif

337560[/snapback]

Didnt we average 20k for our two years in Div 1? When it comes to a loyal CORE of fans we cannot be beaten, yes we do not have swathes of floating fans, but look at the size of out town and the sheer number of local teams and that is obvious.

If I was a Leeds fan I would be much more ashamed that in a year they have lost HALF of their supporters and can only half fill a 40K ground in a major metropolitan area.

It's not the pricing Bob, it's the opposition.

If we had played Burnley how many would have turned up? In fact, maybe that's what we should do next year. If they don't turn up for Burnley, they wont turn up for anyone.

Either that or play Celtic.

337557[/snapback]

Agree the opposition is very important but a decent price on Sat would have made a big difference, when you think the price for a ticket for a CAT B game is only £15 in some areas I can see why people would rather save it for a competative game.

Didnt we average 20k for our two years in Div 1? When it comes to a loyal CORE of fans we cannot be beaten, yes we do not have swathes of floating fans, but look at the size of out town and the sheer number of local teams and that is obvious.

If I was a Leeds fan I would be much more ashamed that in a year they have lost HALF of their supporters and can only half fill a 40K ground in a major metropolitan area.

337562[/snapback]

But never mind looking for loyalty awards, the crux of the matter is that they will still draw as much gate / merchandising money in the 1st div (even with no away fans) as we will draw in the Prem but with much lower costs. And if they get promoted they will double their income. If we are to maintain our status indefinitely we need to double our gate which cannot be done under our present structure. Simple as.

If we are to maintain our status indefinitely we need to double our gate which cannot be done under our present structure.  Simple as.

337566[/snapback]

Eh?

We need a gate of around 45k to survive? It indeed cannot be done under the present structure, as the ground can't hold that much!

How many clubs in the Premiership average a gate of over 45k? There are only about half a dozen with that capacity, let alone attendances.

Yeah, OK, fifteen quid was a bit pricey for a pre season friendly, but a quid a kid can't be bad can it?

I took along my youngest lad and paid for three of his mates who'd never been to a 'proper' stadium before. Hopefully they'll remember their first match at Ewood and want to come back in later years.

I feel all games should offer under 10's entry for a quid, build for the future and also fill up a lot of empty spaces now.

337461[/snapback]

Kid a quids frickin awful if you end up sat behind one of them (or god forbid a group of them).

Where the hell have the other 20k gone!

Headingley.Leeds fans just want success, they don't care what sport its in. Also lots of rubbish about hooliganism lately (which is all rubbish, the Rhinos fans are FAR worse) meaning loads of people have been banned/ imprisoned/stopped going.

Kid a quids frickin awful if you end up sat behind one of them (or god forbid a group of them).

337578[/snapback]

Sorry I forgot to consider all the miserable old grumpy's that do nothing but moan all through the match. smile.gif

£15 a ticket for adults! im not suprised it was so empty!

Friendly in middle of summer, when fans have just spent on season tickets & hols. You aint going to get many willing to pay £15

337612[/snapback]

Have a moan about rovers again eh? All that members on this board do is have a whinge and make their moans public. Keep it to yourself and contact the club. If you aint having any luck, write to John Williams. Im sure they will sort it if you ask. Stop crying out & having a moan about the club. They get too much bad mouthing from idiots like you! Support your club!

dry.gif

Just to point out in fairness to Leeds fans, the match was on the telly and the ever loveable Ken Bates has just hiked up the prices.

I think it's a bit unreasonable to compare Leeds' fall in attendence with any other club. Has any other club ever crashed so suddenly and spectacularly?

Eh?

We need a gate of around 45k to survive?  It indeed cannot be done under the present structure, as the ground can't hold that much!

How many clubs in the Premiership average a gate of over 45k?  There are only about half a dozen with that capacity, let alone attendances.

337568[/snapback]

1. Sorry if I mislead you Modi I had a minimum figure of 35000-40000 in mind. (Easily catered for by upgrading the Riverside)

2 QUOTE "We need a gate of around 45k to survive?". Thats not what I inferred. I said "If we are to maintain our status indefinitely" 'Survive' is misleading. My ideal would be to see BRFC become self sufficient and able to punch its weight financially with the bigger clubs in the top division. Ideally we really need to attract income in excess of the likes of Wolves, Forest, Leicester, West Ham, Sheff Utd/Wed etc. The only way for that to happen on a long term basis imo is to attract fans from our neighbours.

(SG 194........ Never mind shouting about Merger Bull or whatever, simply work (2) above out for yourself and if you can provide a sound and viable alternative which will consistently swell our gate to 35-40000 in the long term then I'm all ears. Like most businesses if you are content to stand still you end up going backwards pdq. Even our Fairy Godfather JW cocked up there when we won the Prem by refusing to sanction the signings of Dugarry and Zidane sad.gif )

Our rightful ( dry.gif I dont like that term much) place based on town size, population, recources etc is down with the dead men in the lower reaches of Div 1 / Top half of Div 2. We need to utilise our current position of strength in some way to provide a base to move forward cos I can assure you its 1000+ times more difficult when even the milkman has to wait for his money and we cannot even attract mediocre players and managers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.