BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 2 - 1 Fulham

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just watched the 50+ minutes of prem plus highlights and I have to say that I am very impressed with our performance, considering we were mssing Bellamy and Mokoena. Although our game was low in quality, I thought it was high in hard work, stability and sensible play, and Hughes certainly got it right playing the 4-5-1.

In defence, Todd and Nelsen were as strong as ever, although Todd really should have got goal side for McBrides goal. What worked really well about the 4-5-1 was that the attacks lead from the back, in Neill, who had an oustanding game, and Nelsen, who fed Pedersen up the left wing on numerous occasions. This was only achived by having the extra man in midfield and we certainly looked more attack minded than playing 4-4-2 at West Ham.

In midfield, Savage had a far better game than last week with no stupid fouls or dodgy tackles, but some hard graft and winning loose balls in the centre. Reid was pretty anonymous, but atleast his passing wasn't awful, as it was last week. Tugay added that extra bit of spark, and although coming to the end of his career, played a couple of stunning balls and added that extra bit of creativity.

I thought Pedersen had an excellent first third to the game, with some excellent movement, crosses, corners, one-twos and good vision. However, as is so common with Pedersen, he drifted out of the game and wasn't to be seen again until midway through the second half. Emerton, however, really is a liability on the right and gave away so many attacks by running into defenders and passing poorly. Neill was excellent today and desperately needed a decent midfielder in front of him to feed. Instead, he had to go it alone on many occasions and luckily succeded today. Although, the two linked brilliantly towards the end of the match when Neill flicked the ball into Emertons path, who brought a good save from Warner. Neill was then desperately unlucky when he hit the bar, after again going past a number of players.

Up front, Kuqi did the job he was required to do, but nothing more. he is so right footed it's untrue and he messed up a few opportunities today looking to bring the ball from left foot to right foot. He has the build and suits this formation but doesn't possess the quality to score the goals required.

I thought both goals today were absolutely superb and I am gutted I couldn't go to this match. Pedersen's was not just about the finish, but the awesome build up.

Overall, I would rate the players as follows...

Freidel - 7

Neill - 9

Todd - 7

Nelsen - 8

Matteo - 7

Emerton - 5

Tugay - 7

Reid - 6

Savage - 7

Pedersen - 8

Kuqi - 6

no wyq we wil beat by spufdds, cos we ahve the nafic sign over them. If kuqi plays for  rovers theh so can I. and I`m disabled. wat with my t4endency to gwqmder offside. its my lacklm of pace that. get in mey frein d tugay, you ate truky ny turkishgh date. 160000 cant be wring.

340534[/snapback]

not forgetting this one.

no wyq we wil beat by spufdds, cos we ahve the nafic sign over them. If kuqi plays for  rovers theh so can I. and I`m disabled. wat with my t4endency to gwqmder offside. its my lacklm of pace that. get in mey frein d tugay, you ate truky ny turkishgh date. 160000 cant be wring.

340534[/snapback]

Christ!...and I thought it was Brian Kidd that turned us to drink - praise de Lord rolleyes.gif

Edited by MCMC1875

Do you guys think Neill's performance today also had alot to do with the fact that he has not been mentioned this week in the starting line up for the Australian National Team.

Our new manager Guus Hiddink (of PSV ) has left him out, and put emerton at right back. This all depends on a healthy Harry Kewel... But still would be enough to fire up Lucas. tinykit.gif

Edited by Poita

Guest Coral_C
Nicholas admitted the goals, in either half, were among the best he has seen for some time, but it was Rovers' overall performance that had him purring and pointing out that there is much more than aggression to their game

340550[/snapback]

thumbs-up.gif Couldnt agree more! tinykit.gif

All my pre-season optimism evaporated during the second half at West Ham last week, so I walked down to Ewood today in a pretty sombre mood. No first home game buzz at all, especially when I heard the team news that Bellamy and Mokoena were out injured. At least Nelsen came back into the defence.

We lined up in a 4-1-4-1 formation with Tugay playing the holding midfield role and Kuqi the lone striker. The one thing the opposition have to do when Tugay is playing is close him down quickly and put him under pressure. Fulham didn't. Consequently, Tugay revelled in the time and space he was given and ran the first half.

It was all Blackburn really. We were sharper into the tackle than Fulham, quicker to latch onto any loose balls, and got our passing going early, largely thanks to Tugay. We looked particularly dangerous down both flanks with Pedersen in particular finding plenty of space behind his full back. However, we didn't really capitalise on our superiority and didn't create as many chances as we probably should have.

Emerton had our first clear chance when a good move found him on the edge of the box. As so often happens though, the hapless Aussie delayed his shot too long and missed the main opportunity, eventually tamely scuffing an effort straight to the keeper. But no matter, we didn't have to wait too much longer before we took the lead.

And what a goal it was. A real length of the pitch move that saw Emerton and Neill combine well down the right to release the willing Kuqi down the right wing. His running cross to the far-post was inch perfect (the type that Emerton never seems to produce) and was met by the most glorious of finishes by Pedersen. A fantastic volley that oozed class. Goal of the season - or so we all thought.

We continued to be the better team for a while but Fulham gradually crept back into it towards the end of the half. They created their only real first half chance during this period when, after a set-piece, Friedel saved a point-blank header from Diop. Great reflex save.

Still, we fully deserved our half-time lead and were looking good for the win at that stage. I thought that at half-time last week though.

And it seemed for a while that history was going to repeat itself. We emerged from the half-time break looking lethargic and lacking any real tempo or urgency, so it was no surprise to see Fulham quickly get the equaliser. We fell asleep as Fulham took a quick free-kick down their left, failed to defend the cross, and Todd allowed McBride to get goal-side and steer the ball home from close range. A really sloppy goal to concede.

We responded well though and quickly started to get back on top again. Neill and Emerton iwere linking up well down the right - Neill in particular was a man inspired. One run saw the full-back beat 3 or 4 defenders before attempting a cheeky chip over the keeper from the edge of the area. It just floated over but it was a terrific run.

We piled on the pressure and won a series of corners that Pedersen threatened to score directly from before he decided to change tack and float one to Tugay just outside the area. The Turk met the cross with one of the sweetest volleys I've ever seen, the ball almost broke the back of the Fulham net, and the crowd went beserk. What a goal.

We pretty well controlled the game from then on. Fulham had a couple of half chances but we could, and perhaps should, have gone further ahead. Neill hit the bar with a cracking curling shot from the edge of the area, Emerton brought out a smart near-post save from Fulham's keeper, and Kuqi put a half-chance over from a bit of a goal-mouth scamble.

A fairly comfortable win though in the end highlighted by two fantastic goals.

Friedel looked assured and made a great first half save when required. Our defence was pretty good for most of the game but totally switched off for Fulham's goal. Todd hasn't started the season particularly well, and he allowed McBride to get goal-side for their goal, but he looked much more composed next to Nelsen today than he did last week alongside Mokoena. Nelsen was as calm and composed as ever. Matteo defended well and even linked up with Pedersen in attack a couple of times in the first half. Neill had a great game going forward and really deserved a goal. He's started the season well.

Tugay was excellent all game and was my man of the match - just ahead of Neill. His goal was a beauty. Savage put himself about and looked fully-fit for the first time in a while. I thought his booking was very harsh as well. Reid was ok, nothing spectacular, but he managed to join up with Kuqi a few times which is something he has to do when we only play one up front. Pedersen played well today, possibly one of his best games for us since he joined, and took his goal superbly. Great technique. And Emerton. Oh Emerton! What can you say that hasn't already been said a thousand times. He was pretty awful in the first half and incredibly frustrating, but he did improve in the second half and linked up well with Neill throughout.

I thought Kuqi played the lone front man role pretty well today. He lacks real class but he's a willing work-horse and causes problems for the defence. His cross for the first goal was top quality as well.

All in all it was a good, much-needed win. However, it should be noted that Fulham were pretty hopeless and failed to match our energy or commitment for large periods of the game. I was amazed that they didn't bother to get close to Tugay for most of the match. We won't see many poorer teams at Ewood this season.

It'll be interesting to see how good we are against a decent team on Wednesday. At least we can take some confidence into that game now.

I was in the Blackburn end and i couldn't believe how fast the ball flew! It was an amazing strike, one of the best goals i've ever seen at Ewood! Pedersen's wasn't too shabby either, great cross from Kuqi too.

340499[/snapback]

That was one of the best goals I have ever seen at Ewood. Over from the corner flag and then into the net like a bullet. On the volley.

Absolutely tremendous.

Do you guys think Neill's performance today also had alot to do with the fact that he has not been mentioned this week in the starting line up for the Australian National Team.

Our new manager Guus Hiddink (of PSV ) has left him out, and put emerton at right back. This all depends on a healthy Harry Kewel... But still would be enough to fire up Lucas.   tinykit.gif

340557[/snapback]

Too Be honest lucas has been good going forward since we first had him, it has always been defensively people pointed out he could improve. He has had 2 fantastic games and if dropping him from the national team does this maybe he should retire from international games, same with brett! Harry Kewell can stay there tongue.gif

edit: Oozy you could try Here? don't know whats on there but they normally have most of highlights on teh night of the game!

Edited by modes98

possibly first back after the game.

Kuqi is never a Premiership player. He lacks quality, composure and seriously cannot read the type of ball necessary in the Premier League.

The passing that led to that glorious shot and finish from MGP was simply world class.

340405[/snapback]

make your mind up. Kuqi set Pedersen up with that world class cross!?!

The team news text we received didn't include Kugi so I arrived at Ewood thinking we would start without a striker of any sort. Nearly turned the car round, especially when the parking has gone up to £3. wink.gif

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but not a lot has changed. This was our second game of the season and after, by all accounts, a terrible performance at West Ham the players will have had a roasting from Hughes. Of course we were going to see more effort.

With so few changes to the squad we can't expect to see brilliant performances week in, week out. The team played well, they are professional footballers and did their jobs against a poor Fulham side. I didn't feel anyone was brilliant, all performed as we should expect. Better teams will have us scampering around desperately putting in tackles, chasing the ball and trying to get into the game. Bellamy and Mokoena were injured, add in those two and there's our top 13 players, injuries and suspensions could be very costly. Yesterday was better than I hoped or expected but the 20 minute wobble had me thinking "here we go again" - full credit to the team for coming through that, especially after conceeding a typical Rovers goal from last season.

Two wonderful goals from MGP and Tugay. If Emerton had found himself in the same position as Kugi the cross would not have been delivered. Watching the cross I thought MGP would attempt a header; when he didn't jump I thought the chance had gone; his stunning volley was just fantastic to see, real out of your seat, punching the air stuff! Kugi should be given time, he was willing to work, was a nuisance to the defence, won plenty of headers, got into scoring positions but his first touch and shooting were not up to the mark. MGP and Tugay have tried that corner before, today it worked and I nearly put my arm through the roof.

I think only Scotty has mentioned Brad's great first half save. somehow getting his right fist to a close-range goal bound effort from Fulham. The other great moment was Neil's shot which hit the bar with 8 minutes to go - the first to leave got up and went immediately afterwards. mad.gif

All in all a pretty typical PL game, average standard, lit up by two outstanding goals, an excellent shot and a superb save from Brad.

Spurs will tell us a lot more about this team's attitude for the season.

The attendance? As I feared, just on 17,000. That's 6500 down on the first home game of last season against WBA who I guess (can't remember) will have brought 4500. Against the same fixture, and last home match, it's 2000 down. On this evidence we've lost 2000 paying fans.

rover.gif good three points,poor crowd,two stunning goals,some woeful preformance's,some excellent preformance's.for those who have not seen the goals just watch the foolham keeper and defender,when tugay's goal goes in tinykit.gif

Watching the cross I thought MGP would attempt a header; when he didn't jump I thought the chance had gone;

340569[/snapback]

Now I've seen MOTM I realise he was never going to attempt a header. Must have been the angle I was watching from.

Having listened to Radio 5 Live in the afternoon and listening to Stuart Hall Ejaculating over the Rovers performance and drooling over the two strikes by MGP and Tugay I just had to watch MOTD. One problem, I had to go out for some boozing and every pub/bar we went to didnt have it on. So this morning I got up at 8 to watch the re-run of MOTD.

OH MY we don't like that word, please don't use it GOd. Was that two Rovers players scoring Goal of the Month, if not contenders for Goal of the season. Plus a Rovers Team who have stuck to Hughesy words and bounce back from a distarous start against the hammers.

this would definately would not have happened if Souness was still here.

But apart from that its nice to see us playing good attacking football with very sweet passing. The only problem I was fearing was the slowness in which we started the 2nd half to let Fulham back into it for a couple of minutes.

Is any one else concerned by this?

Oh yeah, Charlie Nicholas also cumming his pants watching Rovers play!!! About bloody time. Though he will probably slag us off next week.

If we get something from the Spurs match then I will be a very happy man.

Still in shock after just watching it again on Football First.

I am really confused about where OUR Lucas Neil has gone because that certainly wasnt him yesterday.

Charlie Nichols on Soccer Saturday was saying things like - wonderful passing from Blackburn - Great Team Work. I thought that he had gone mental but then I watched it and thought I was going mental.

Well done lads, play like that every week and Ewood will soon fill up.

The only dissapointment for me was Kuqi not getting a goal - he had enough chances.

Still in shock after just watching it again on Football First.

I am really confused about where OUR Lucas Neil has gone because that certainly wasnt him yesterday.

Charlie Nichols on Soccer Saturday was saying things like - wonderful passing from Blackburn - Great Team Work.  I thought that he had gone mental but then I watched it and thought I was going mental.

Well done lads, play like that every week and Ewood will soon fill up.

The only dissapointment for me was Kuqi not getting a goal - he had enough chances.

340591[/snapback]

Wouldnt it be nice if we lost the bully boys tag and became the team who score great goals !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.