Huddersfield Cup Game - Are you going  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Huddersfield Cup Game - Are you going

• Yes, I have my ticket
    • Maybe, but haven't got a ticket yet
    • No and I could have been, I simply don't want to be / can'r be botherd
    • No, because other comitments take precidence
    • No, because I feel it's too much money for a game like this
    • No, becuase I live too far from Ewood for a game like this (although I live within the UK)
    • No, becuase I live too far from Ewood for a game like this (I don't live within the UK)
    • No, for different reason all together
    • Lee Grooby stole my ticket

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I don't buy into all this "marvellous away fans " guff. All lower league teams behave like that in cup games against top division opponents. We used to - eg FA Cup at Everton in 1986 (when Everton were the best team in the country).

I was also annoyed (more than I should be at my age) by a couple of neanderthals who confronted me outside the Riverside after the game to put their well thought out and constructive criticism of Blackburn Rovers "Yer f****in' s**t aren't yer?" followed by a halitosis laced chant of "s*** ground no fans". Very charming. I couldn't help having uncharitable thoughts about the sheer ugliness of one of them.

I do hope they were seriously inconvenienced by any congestion on getting in to the ground.

Tossers.

Oh yeah - the football.

I fear that we will be unable to ply 442 against all but the most woeful Premier League opposition. Particularly with Bentley, who talented as he is appears to have no will or ability to track back and defend (he may well have been told not to of course). Certainly there will be few occasions when he and Tugay can play in the same 11. Also Bentley has little pace either.

But hell I can't help liking the bloke!

Wouldn't know as I watched a thoroughly entertaining game Barcelona v Valencia.  It's called entertainment you see.  Are you going on Saturday?

348659[/snapback]

Nope. But not because I can't be bothered, unfortunately I have other things to do that day; and as has been mentioned in other threads, if you do have to pick and choose matches, why go to Old Trafford and line ManUres coffers?

I don't have a problem with fans saying they can't get to various matches, as it is inevitable even the most commited of fans will miss a game once in a while (except Jordan, but he probably needs commiting). Lack of funds, unsuitably of kick-off time, other arrangements, distance to match etc are all legit reasons for not going to a match.

This I'm-better-than-you argument is a waste of time and at no point have I (or if you read Martin's posts or the others that seem to have rocked certain peoples cradles) suggested this. However, I don't think I've ever missed a game just because I can't be arsed to go to Ewood. Then again, whats a 120 mile round trip?

Wondered what was happening down the Darwen End last night. At kick off, the Hudds fans were probably filling three quarters of the lower tier. Wasn't taking notes (it was quite entertaining footie you see) but when I noticed at kick off for the 2nd half, the lower tier was full and half the upper tier was pretty full.

I sit in in the BBE side of the JW but me and everyone around was wondering what the hell was going on with the linesman in the other half. And Dickov's booking was a joke - fair enough if someone has time to notice what's going on before knocking it past the keeper but as far as I could see, he didn't. Just got played the ball, took a touch, then whacked it. A view on a few performances : Dickov did his usual running around but looked poor (maybe that was a reflection on having Bellamy alongside?), Bert was his usual hesitant self and just to go against the pro-Bentley bandwagon, I thought there were a few Bert-like traits to his play - there were a few times when a counter attack was crying out for a quick pass, but Bentley seems keen to take a couple of touches and slow things down. Hope it's down to management instruction. Gray looks a bit dodgy defensively, good getting forward though - nothing new there. And as we hoped, Bellamy's a bit nippy. (Flameproof suit on) I was hoping we'd start with Kuqi and Bellamy - even if the flying Finn isn't blessed with silky skils, I still think the more physical side to his game will give Bellamy more than playing with Dickov/Jansen/no-one. Looks like MH agrees with most on here though. Hey ho.

Nope.  But not because I can't be bothered, unfortunately I have other things to do that day; and as has been mentioned in other threads, if you do have to pick and choose matches, why go to Old Trafford and line ManUres coffers?   

I don't have a problem with fans saying they can't get to various matches, as it is inevitable even the most commited of fans will miss a game once in a while (except Jordan, but he probably needs commiting).    Lack of funds, unsuitably of kick-off time, other arrangements, distance to match etc are all legit reasons for not going to a match. 

This I'm-better-than-you argument is a waste of time and at no point have I (or if you read Martin's posts or the others that seem to have rocked certain peoples cradles) suggested this.    However, I don't think I've ever missed a game just because I can't be arsed to go to Ewood.  Then again, whats a 120 mile round trip?

348689[/snapback]

But if you bothered reading my posts instead of being high and mighty and smart arsed as well if I might add you would see there were a number of reasons why I didn't go last night. I won't list them because I don't have to justify myself to you nor do you to me for Saturday. However it was yourself and others that started commenting on others commitment but don't like it back.

What's a 120 mile round trip? Sod all compared to some of the trips made to be honest but that's back to the one-upmanship that some people like to bandy about but then cry foul when questioned themselves.

It's not a case of can't be arsed it 's a case of not wanting to go to something that you don't enjoy for a lot of fans at present. Most people can understand that why are you struggling?

HEs been here a year and done that since game 1 and you only just found out?

What kind of fan are you?  cool.gif

348651[/snapback]

Terrible I know.

Once in every so often when I get to Ewood earlier than usual so I have a wander round to watch the players come in. Catching them was never a problem whilst Souness was in charge. However, since Hughes arrived I have always missed them. So last night I asked the stewards and they filled me in.

I think it just highlights the differences between Mr. Souness and Hughes. I thought those who didn't know might find it interesting. Little did I know it would only highlight what a poor excuse for a fan I am tongue.gif

It's not a case of can't be arsed it 's a case of not wanting to go to something that you don't enjoy for a lot of fans at present.  Most people can understand that why are you struggling?

348706[/snapback]

You really do seem to have a problem with understanding posts, dear chap.

I have not at any stage said that I am a better fan than anyone else. Nor have I questioned your motives for non-attendance. I really couldn't give a flying one if you ever attend Ewood or not. I am, however, doing cartwheels of joy that you intimated that you are going to Manchester United on Saturday. Good on you!

However, there have been some posters on here that have strongly suggested that the only reason they didn't go last night was because they simply couldn't be bothered. This wasn't backed up with "because football is crap" or "the price is too much" or "I live 300 yards from the ground and my legs have dropped off". They simply couldn't be bothered to go.

They don't have to justify their lack of attendance, to me, to you to anyone else. But similarly, they shouldn't be surprised if someone has at a go of them for not traipsing along to Ewood - not that anyone really has, but that doesn't make your comments half as much fun - nor should they castigate posters such as Martin who tried to make a rallying call to stir up some interest from the apathy that was present.

If you don't understand that, perhaps a mod could introduce a cartoon feature so the message could be relayed in pictures?

I said this to the bloke who sits next to me on Saturday but haven't mentioned it on here for fear of ridicule!  unsure.gif  He really does look just like a young Beckham, if he has half the talent we are on a winner. On the basis of the two games I've seen I feel we have a really good player on our hands.

348665[/snapback]

Funny some bloke called bob flemming said last night that Beckham could be mistaken for Bentley. wink.gif

I thought Bentley looked rather light-weight at times, in a way he did not against Newcastle.

Gray was struggling getting back later on in the second half-he just seemed to be jogging back when Emerton, who was covering him,ended up getting booked.

It was after this that Gray picked up his injury.

I also thought Gray's crosiing was not brillaint, despite getting into good positions.

Savage ,despite apparently giving 100%, continues to disappoint.

However, there have been some posters on here that have strongly suggested that the only reason they didn't go last night was because they simply couldn't be bothered.  This wasn't backed up with "because football is crap" or "the price is too much" or "I live 300 yards from the ground and my legs have dropped off".  They simply couldn't be bothered to go.

They don't have to justify their lack of attendance, to me, to you to anyone else.  But similarly, they shouldn't be surprised if someone has at a go of them for not traipsing along to Ewood - not that anyone really has, but that doesn't make your comments half as much fun - nor should they castigate posters such as Martin who tried to make a rallying call to stir up some interest from the apathy that was present.

348719[/snapback]

If people say they couldn't be bothered then there are some underlying reasons behind that.

My own circumstances last night were that I would have had to leave work early, spend around an hour and a half on the road to get to Ewood, spend about £30-£35 on a ticket, petrol, beer, food, and then not get home until after 11 (or even later if it went to ET). I decided that the enjoyment I would get out of the match wasn't worth the effort and cost I had to put in to go to it. In other words, I couldn't be bothered.

Now, I don't care if people agree or disagree with the decision I made. I really don't care if people made a much larger commitment to attend than the one I've outlined above - good on them. What does annoy me though is when other fans question my loyalty to the club, or tell me what I should or shouldn't do.

You really do seem to have a problem with understanding posts, dear chap.

348719[/snapback]

Dear Chap? Is being patronising a pre-requisite for being a mod now then as well as making smart comments? You think I can't understand and vice versa so I suggest we call it quits. Although for the record you would have not found one post from me asking why people were not attending United or any other game if it were not for some of the posts of the last few days. I would have thought all the threads on attendances would have given you all the reasons in the world but hey ho. I'm glad you enjoyed it last night and will leave it at that.

That's a leading question.  wink.gif

For all Dickov's hard work last season I thought he was awful last night. The only thing that worries me Kuqi isn't exactly blessed with technical ability and that will frustrate the hell out of Bellamy. I'd pair Bellamy with Jansen.

348649[/snapback]

I think most people know my views on Dickov, mad.gif and from an entertainment point of view I would agree with you about playing Bellamy and Jansen, plus Jansen gives some aerial threat. (Goal line clearance Sunday from Matt's header.) However I think Dickov for all his faults worries defenders more, thus creating space for Bellamy.

That said if, and a big if, Jansen regained his form his flick on's could create a lot for Bellamy.,

You lot are such a bunch of little girls sometimes laugh.gif

I didn't go cos it's really far away, I couldnt afford it and I couldn't be arsed.

I'm not going to United either. I'm not going to any more Ewood games til they clear the bloody roadworks on the M6. I don't really give a Brad Pitt if folk think that makes me disloyal - I'll go whenever I want to, not whenever other people think I should.

Watching Savage last night, I couldn't help wonder what Ronnie Clayton makes of him.

Our Ronnie -  totally on top of the game, stylish, classy, great passer and strong in the tackle.

Savage - runs a lot.

348727[/snapback]

Somebody recently said that Savage runs 2 miles for every touch he gets! smile.gif

That said if, and a big if, Jansen regained his form his flick on's could create a lot for Bellamy.,

348733[/snapback]

Interesting point there and something I have commented on before.

However, its also one of my biggest beefs with the team/club for a while - its fair do's having the players but our reaction to the second ball is non existent. Time and time again we punt balls forward and nobody is looking for the knock on /return pass etc this include throwings and showed up big time last Sunday once Newcastle took the lead.

Dear Chap?  Is being patronising a pre-requisite for being a mod now then as well as making smart comments?  You think I can't understand and vice versa so I suggest we call it quits.  Although for the record you would have not found one post from me asking why people were not attending United or any other game if it were not for some of the posts of the last few days.  I would have thought all the threads on attendances would have given you all the reasons in the world but hey ho.  I'm glad you enjoyed it last night and will leave it at that.

348731[/snapback]

Ok, let's call it quits. However, one last point I'm not a mod, and never have been (although I am a Modi). I contribute to some of the background stuff on the site but have no sway on editorial policy; I couldn't even pin the preview thread in the first place, such is my lack of influence. smile.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.