BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Crouch

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 flicks for an international centre forward against an opposition like Austria does not do it for me I'm afraid. The number of headers he has missed because he's back on his heels, slow and laborious far outweigh the number his 7ft 6 frame allow him to win.

Choose any criteria, other than height, for choosing an England centre forward and I guarantee you wouldn't choose Crouch. Goals scored, assists, tackles, distance covered, form - you name it he's distinctly average at it. I thought so when I saw him at Ewood last year with Southampton and frankly, if he wasn't playing for Liverpool he wouldn't be in (bit like Heskey really...). If you wanted a forward to win flicks and set pieces then I hate to say this but Kevin Davies is better than Crouch.

The fact is this - he's barely premiership quality let alone international and I haven't been this annoyed about a selection since Graham Taylors delusion antcis... mad.gif

always said crouch is a poor striker, who considering his height can't even head the ball and todays performance just goes to prove is nowhere near good enough for england.

Personally i would have had darren bent in there from the off, even taking into consideration he is a similar striker to owen.

Crouch is the new heskey and i hope he follows down the same road out of the england set up!

hes has three attributes only..

1.height

2.height

3 more height

even the crowd were giving him sarcastic cheers on the 2 times he womn a header

352169[/snapback]

You forgot his feet, they are amazingly good for tripping him up!

£7million pounds for him unsure.gif good old southampton! blink.gif

I always find it funny that if a player is more than 6 foot 2 tall it is considered to be a mjaor attribute if he can trap a ball and kick it in the right direction. I'm talking about the old "good touch for a big man" syndrome. As Crouch is paid several tens of thousands of pounds a week I don't think thatwe should be too shocked that he can occasionally kick the ball straight and I don' think he should warrant an international cap just because he can flick the odd ball on.

In reality he is reminiscent of a new born giraffe and as for any new born giraffe he should avoid playing with lions. Ha Ha!

I don't think Crouch was that bad. England are severely lacking in decent tall centre forwards so we have to look to the likes of Heskey, Beattie and Crouch. None of these guys are going to do much at international level but Sven must make the most of what he's got, something which he is evidently not capable off.

The Lampard - Gerrard midfield partnership was disappointing again. When will Sven realise the pair are too similar to play together?

Edited by rover6

Crouch should have been left on the couch - sh1te! The new Ian Ormondroyd. Tall forwards are generally rubbish. The only quality ones I've had the privilege to watch are Messrs Newell and Sutton. I thank you.

PS Re Newell - still the fastest hat trick in European Cup history and (off topic) an unforgettable performance at Ewood v Derby in the play offs.

tinykit.gifcool.gif

Edited by MCMC1875

That was a poor header he got in, you know the one where he should've scored but headed at the 'keeper, you could tell in his face afterwards that he knew.

Thought he did OK at the time, but then again I'm used to players doing poorly for England. He'd be better off at basketball, his height confers no advantage in football and he's OK on the deck and can pass, but that's a minimum requirement for a top-flight attacker surely?

crouch jus isn't worth what liverpool paid for him...

even with his height, he can't jump and head like heskey.

reminds me of stead. tall but not much aerial ability.

he holds up the ball a bit better than stead.

no balance becos of height, average dribbling skills... mayb finishing is ok.

but the goal tally don't lie...

I don't think Crouch was that bad. England are severely lacking in decent tall centre forwards so we have to look to the likes of Heskey, Beattie and Crouch. None of these guys are going to do much at international level but Sven must make the most of what he's got, something which he is evidently not capable off.

The Lampard - Gerrard midfield partnership was disappointing again. When will Sven realise the pair are too similar to play together?

352188[/snapback]

"If Crouch plays for England, so can I" was being sung in the bar I was watching the game- at least it lifted the tedium of yet another utterly inept England performance.

"If Crouch plays for England, so can I" was being sung in the bar I was watching the game- at least it lifted the tedium of yet another utterly inept England performance.

352221[/snapback]

Well he's on a par with Phil Neville then.

Edited by MCMC1875

crouch jus isn't worth what liverpool paid for him...

even with his height, he can't jump and head like heskey.

352203[/snapback]

I would disagree with the amount being paid argument, as if somebody is willing to pay you that much it's there luck out and it's 100% southamptons luck that a team is stupid and desperate enough to pay £7million for the privilage of being dissapointed every week and seeing bad performances(in the prem i guess they expect it).

The only reason crouch is ahead of bent(should be in) and defoe is the height factor and i'm sure there are players with much greater ability and alot less height/transfer fee/playing for a high profile club, who are english out there.

in the spirit that has followed the anti-sven campaign, CROUCH OUT! biggrin.gifthumbs-up.gif

Bent should be receiving passes from Murphy for England.

I do like Crouch, think he does well with the ball (not only for a big man, but for a striker) at his feet passing it off, but Bent is a far better option.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.