BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fourth Round Draw

Paul

I don't really understand how anybody can suggest that Zurab isn't up to it!  He's proved time and time again that he's a more than capable premiership defender and has been very unfortunate to have been dropped on numerous occasions. 

379322[/snapback]

But you have to remember that alot of Rovers fans seem to have short memories.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive got a spare £30 we can start a whip round now - I think we could possibly raise enough to buy Ashley Ward back

379323[/snapback]

I think you've already done it...you'll probably get quite a bit of change as well...maybe as much as £40.

Team selection was questionable. Moekoena had a shocker. No ball control, could not get in the game and lost possession in dangerous areas sevaral times including for the killer 4th goal. Why was Reid not in the middle and Emerton on the right? He must be on his way out this summer if that's what Hughes thinks of him. Judging by Johnson's powder puff cameo appearance Heaven help us if this is the fare for the remainder of the season.

379307[/snapback]

So Mokoena can't play central defence, he can't play central midfield - where the hell can he play? Maybe the South African manager got it right. dry.gif

Does anyone know if Sergio Peter was injured. I would have thought that he would be on the bench at least because he is the sort of player that can make something out of nothing. Which is unlike a lot of our current first teamers/subs who are doing a jolly good job of getting nothing out of something.

This match puts the quality of our team into perspective. We are wholly dependent on Ryan Nelsen, a 35 year old in Tugay and an injury prone forward in Bellamy. We need more than a striker if we want to finish around 6th place but a new forward would be somewhere to start.

Edited by rover6

Dont really know what to make of that game really.

Always felt Rovers were in control for the whole game yet we let in 4 goals?! At least we know who is the better defender between Todd and Zura now(its Todd btw!).If we had Nelsen on, we would have AT LEAST forced a replay. Reid was Rovers best player by a mile and I could not understand why the rest of the team just didnt give him the ball at every opportunity. Reid has really turned into one of Rovers better players now and seems to be playing well on the right wing!

Now, Mokoena yet again had a mare against West Ham and really should be sold ASAP(if he was a Souness buy.......well, you all know).He was at fault for 2 of the West Ham goals aswell. And there is a reason why people suggest that MGP should be sold if we get good money for him, it's because in 50% of the games he plays in, he's a liability and should not be in the team. He deserves to be dropped against United on Wednesday but he wont be.

I was also puzzled with Hughes' subs. Kuqi was causing all sorts of trouble(who was 10 x's better today btw) and while Bentley was having a decent game he just failed to read his flick on's. I reallt felt there was no need to take off both strikers. As Tugay should have been brought on at half time.

No idea why the pen was given and nor did the players. Never heard of that ref before but was clearly a homer.

We really did not need a striker on todays evidence, just Ryan Nelsen

mokoena was a really good player for us last year he played in his best posistion behind the midfield but he wasnt playing in his best position today had hasnt had alot of games recently and becuase he had one bad game your caling for him to be sold. if yuop want to blame anyone for todays loss its zurab scoring a own goal and hand balling it twice in the box.

Of course, Mokoena should not be made a scapegoat for this result because he wasn't the only under-par player.

However, a player who can only play the holding role in a 5-man midfield is not much use to a team who play 4-4-2 most of the time.

You have to start questioning whether Mokoena was a bad signing by Hughes. He arrived as a central defender who can fill-in in midfield. A few horrendous performances in defence later (eg Norwich first half) and now he's considered a midfielder or perhaps after this game, a holding midfielder.

Perhaps he needs games but I just can't see him turning out to be a player worth keeping.

Of course, Mokoena should not be made a scapegoat for this result because he wasn't the only under-par player.

However, a player who can only play the holding role in a 5-man midfield is not much use to a team who play 4-4-2 most of the time.

You have to start questioning whether Mokoena was a bad signing by Hughes. He arrived as a central defender who can fill-in in midfield. A few horrendous performances in defence later (eg Norwich first half) and now he's considered a midfielder or perhaps after this game, a holding midfielder.

Perhaps he needs games but I just can't see him turning out to be a player worth keeping.

379361[/snapback]

It wasn't long ago everyone was calling him 'our makelele'. How times change ..

This result may be a blessing - the number of games has well and truly caught up with our squad.

People questioning not playing Tugay from the start should remember how old he is - and that tired players often get injured (and we really couldn't lose him at the moment). The same could be said for Nelsen - maybe is carrying a knock so Hughes thought another game would be too much for him ?

IF we can get a decent striker in before end of Jan - or IF we can get Bellamy fit - we can still rise up the league. Financially for Rovers - finishing in the top eight will probably be worth more than a cup run. Especially if that run in the league leads to a UEFA Cup spot - and possibly some high profile wins against Arsenal, Chelsea etc to bring the fans back (oh I can wish biggrin.gif )

You have to start questioning whether Mokoena was a bad signing by Hughes. He arrived as a central defender who can fill-in in midfield. 

379361[/snapback]

No you don't.

Mokoena played a key role in our successful fight against relegation last season. For that alone he can be regarded as a good signing. Whether he is good enough to help take us to the next level is a different matter.

You have to start questioning whether Mokoena was a bad signing by Hughes.

I was impressed with him when, in the last couple of months, he came on as sub in a home match and played well.

Simon Garner thought he looked rusty as he had not been playing.

You have to start questioning whether Mokoena was a bad signing by Hughes.

I was impressed with him when, in the last couple of months, he came on as sub in a home match and played well.

Simon Garner thought he looked rusty as he had not been playing.

379380[/snapback]

Just watched Match Of the Day and as WHFC scored their fourth the women from BBC's commentating on the game said West ham are capitalising on Blackburns tiredness from Wednesday game, when it was Mokoena who hasnt played most of the season dropped an almighty clanger and gifted their fourth goal. UNACCEPTABLE

With talk about a Russian defender maybe Zurab's place in the Rovers squad is far from secure at the end of the season. We dont want another Gresko situation on our hands, good to earn the contract then once its earned its relax for x number of years until somebody can match it or it runs out.

379361[/snapback]

As a central defender he has looked very uncomfortable in every game I've seen, but playing in front of the back four he's looked good. Axe started for the first time in how long? In a team that is clearly very, very tired and hit by injuries.

Those calling for a striker are going to be disappointed, it has been clear for some weeks there will be no major signing before the summer. Williams has effectively stated the first choice eleven will, ultimately, be made up of players transferred in who are better than those the acadaemy can produce, the rest will come from the academy, frees etc. Contracts are being freed up over this season, several more will go in the summer, when I expect to see 3 or 4 come in. I don't believe either Williams or Hughes are prepared to spend now, the quality is just not available.

At the very best we have £14m available, doubtful Hughes will get that in one go, and it would be foolhardy to begin throwing that money around now. The difference in place money is simply not large enough to justify the short-term investment.

The only concern I have with this is the academy players; it would be good to see Gallagher back. Danns, did we sell or loan him?

BTW talking of the academy, Joe Garner became a Dad the other night.

BTW talking of the academy, Joe Garner became a Dad the other night.

379404[/snapback]

If it's a boy call him Simon.

If it's a girl call her Simon.

Edited by ribblesdale

The Observer report rated Mokoena very highly.

Danns was transferred and no forget about £14m to spend unless there is a very dramatic increase in gates.

Something nobody has mentioned on this thread but which all the press has picked up on:

- yesterday was a fantastic highly entertaining FA Cup tie

- Reid was superb

- Rovers more than held their own except for Zura having a bit of a 'mare. Hyslop pulled off two world class saves from Mokoena.

I expect Mr Armchair will change his opinion when he's read the papers.

Edited by philipl

Mokoena has one position which he really is very good at and that is the destroying / holding role in a 4-5-1.

Only saw the brief highlights on the beeb and for once I did not listen to the radio, but did MH play Mokoena in a 4 or 5 man midfield? If it was 4 then he's a poor replacement for Tugay (even though it reads like he did make the 1st goal) alternatively if it was a 5 man midfield then I can understand Hughes desire to combat the ageing but still potent threat of Sheringham.

Edited by thenodrog

Just woke up after having had a long and tiring day in London yesterday - think my train pulled back into Preston at 22:30 ?!?? Not really had chance to reflect on the game as such but, seeings how this is the 8th or 9th time I've experienced defeat when coming away from Upton Park, I'm vowing never to go there again. It's all my fault ! I'm sorry. I'm a jinx.

Edited by Andy Kennedys Hairdo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.