BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pedersen For United?

Why is there this automatic assumption that the club would want to sell and Pedersen would want to go? I'm sure he will fancy a move at some point but there were plenty of clubs sniffing around Duff and others. They stayed until they had a good reason to leave and depending on where we finish this season I'm not sure there is a compelling reason to go to United. I know it must be tempting to play in front of the big crowds they get but how sure could you be of playing every week. Pedersen's young enough to wait a year or two, especially if Rovers play in Europe and he looks good there too, and push his earning capacity and his choice of clubs up.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct.

The decline in Rovers' attendances can be traced back to the summer that Souness allowed David Dunn to leave the club.

Pedersen is not a particularly brilliant player but he has become a talisman for alot of fans.

392615[/snapback]

I think your a bit off Jim

the price of football is simply to blame, things like selling players are additive factors.

Why is there this automatic assumption that the club would want to sell and Pedersen would want to go? I'm sure he will fancy a move at some point but there were plenty of clubs sniffing around Duff and others.  They stayed until they had a good reason to leave and depending on where we finish this season I'm not sure there is a compelling reason to go to United.  I know it must be tempting to play in front of the big crowds they get but how sure could you be of playing every week.  Pedersen's young enough to wait a year or two, especially if Rovers play in Europe and he looks good there too, and push his earning capacity and his choice of clubs up.

392654[/snapback]

Just for the record, I am purely speculating. I don't think the club would sell Pedersen, unless a huge fee were involved, and I don't expect a club to offer big money for him.

If we sell him i think it will make us as a club severely weaker. The thing that some people are forgetting is that he is the only other midfielder apart from Frank lampard to reach double figures this season if i am correct. When Bellers isn't fit, MGP is the one who we rely on for the goals. IMO he has become somewhat of a cult hero for us already, i know i am a really big fan of the guy.

Even if MGP is a Manure fan, it doesn't mean he would sign. I think us getting 4th place this season could be crucial to us fighting off bids for MGP & Bellers.

Anyway isn't all of this just speculation anyway, when was the last time the LET got a transfer correct?

Correct.

The decline in Rovers' attendances can be traced back to the summer that Souness allowed David Dunn to leave the club.

Pedersen is not a particularly brilliant player but he has become a talisman for alot of fans.

392615[/snapback]

Rovers fans actually increased in Japan.

when live on TV, commentator talking about him.

lots of people searched Gamsten then hit my site.

gumboots has posted the most sensible contribution to this thread.

1) Scholes is a player with impared vision, not a scout.

2) MGP isn't the finished article but he is a lot better than most give him credit for. If you watch the Bellamy goal from all angles, that pass from MGP really was eye of the needle perfection.

3) Has anyone got Duff's goals scored and assists in his best season compared with MGP's for this season?

4) If Duff came back, this board would be full of folks moaning about him. He isn't the player we sold sadly- if he were, he'd still be one of the gems of the Premiership.

5) jim and dillo are right- MGP is a character footballer who fans love and follow. Selling him would damage us.

6) He's not for sale and nobody has offered for him so what's the big deal?

3) Has anyone got Duff's goals scored and assists in his best season compared with MGP's for this season?

392664[/snapback]

2002-2003 was Duff's best season for us as he scored 9 goals in the EPL and 5 assists as well as 1 goal in UEFA vs cska sofia and 1 goal in league cup v rotherham.So,that's 11 goals in all comps and 5 assists in EPL.

MGP this year has 9 goals in EPL and 5 assists as well as 1 goal in cup play.So with 8 games left to play,MGP has equaled Duff's best year of league form for us.

Florida Rover

Much ado about nothing really. Not unusually these days pretty unhelpful story from the LET on what was presumably a quiet day. I suppose it all ties in quite neatly with the "We're backing Stanley" campaign..

Scholes was apparently also at the Reebok the other week looking at Kevin Nolan.

Other than that, there's no indication at all eiher that we're willing to sell, or that the player particularly wants to move. And no guarantee ManUre will follow up any interest.

If United do firm up any interest in the summer we'd be well placed to demand a pohibitive fee. Now would be a good time to substantially improve MGP's terms though.

Some very churlish comments about Duff on here. His all round game is still vastly superior to MGP's although he doesn't carry quite the same goal threat. Now if you coud convert one to the right hand side....... what a prospect that would be.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

Selling MGP would send out all the wrong signals. Whatever the financial situation I hope the club realise selling him would be a massive error of judgement. A bird in the hand etc. What we should be doing is increasing the focus on him locally to build his and the club's profile.

The one thing that has really impressed me about Hughes is his focus on bringing in younger players instead of the over 30 brigade looking for a final swan song.

I fear that selling Pedersen would send out the wrong signal to the current crop despite anything over 6 million being very good money for a limited player.

Who'd be a manager.......

Some very churlish comments about Duff on here. His all round game is still vastly superior to MGP's although he doesn't carry quite the same goal threat. Now if you coud convert one to the right hand side....... what a prospect that would be.

392680[/snapback]

as per my earlier post..............I just reckon we would have needed Uncle Jack to make that possible.

I fear that selling Pedersen would send out the wrong signal to the current crop despite anything over 6 million being very good money for a limited player.

392689[/snapback]

No way would the Rovers willingly give him up . The trouble is if UTD want him it's hard to stand in his way if he wants to go . Players have all the power .

Whether there is any substance in this current speculation or not .......

1. We are a small town club currently punching well above our weight in football.

2. Jack Walker always said that BRFC had to be run as a business.

3. MU are in the top 2 biggest clubs in the world.

4. MGP is a self confessed fan of them.

5. Money talks. What right have we to expect a player to turn down the chance

to double or triple his current salary?

6. Unless a new Jack Walker turns up we will always lose our best players to bigger clubs. Fact.

Afraid I have seen all this before in the 60's. The town turns it's back on the club, income falls and the club has to sell to balance the books. Bosman has changed the players say in this but the basic situation remains the same.

Damned if we do well (players and managers leave) and even more damned if we do poorly (no buggger leaves cos no one wants em!).

As far as progressing our aspirations in the Prem it's actually a lose/lose situation.

All we can do is realise our position NOT as a selling club but as a DEVELOPING club. It's good business to develop players and thereby increasing their value before selling them on.........but only if we keep constant supply of top replacements in the pipeline.

Think positive and if MGP ends up at MU and BRFC project the right image then young players and their agents in Scandanavia and elsewhere will view the facilities and position of BRFC as the number 1 launch pad to stardom.

We simply need suitable replacements BEFORE we sell anyone. In this case it's clear that Peter is not near enough to the finished article yet.

We must learn from our mistakes in the 90's when we let our best players leave without finding adequate replacements for them first. If we end up selling MGP for 6 million and Bellamy for 10 it'd be dissapointing as hell for supporters but not if that left the club in a stronger and safer position than it was when they came.

Edited by thenodrog

Whether there is any substance in this current speculation or not .......

1.  We are a small town club currently punching well above our weight in football.

2.  Jack Walker always said that BRFC had to be run as a business.

3.  MU are in the top 2 biggest clubs in the world.

4.  MGP is a self confessed fan of them.

5.  Money talks.  What right have we to expect a player to turn down the chance

to double or triple his current salary?

6.  Unless a new Jack Walker turns up we will always lose our best players to bigger clubs.  Fact.

Afraid I have seen all this before in the 60's.  The town turns it's back on the club, income falls and the club has to sell to balance the books.  Bosman has changed the players say in this but the basic situation remains the same. 

Damned if we do well (players and managers leave) and even more damned if we do poorly (no buggger leaves cos no one wants em!). 

As far as progressing our aspirations in the Prem it's actually a lose/lose situation. 

All we can do is realise our position NOT as a selling club but as a DEVELOPING club.  It's good business to develop players and thereby increasing their value before selling them on.........but only if we keep  constant supply of top replacements in the pipeline. 

Think positive and if MGP ends up at MU and BRFC project the right image then young players and their agents in Scandanavia and elsewhere will view the facilities and position of BRFC as the number 1 launch pad to stardom.

We simply need suitable replacements BEFORE we sell anyone.  In this case it's clear that Peter is not near enough to the finished article yet.

We must learn from our mistakes in the 90's when we let our best players leave without finding adequate replacements for them first.  If we end up selling MGP for 6 million and Bellamy for 10 it'd be dissapointing as hell for supporters but not if that left the club in a stronger and safer position than it was when they came.

392714[/snapback]

Gordon, thankfully this isn't the 60's, we no longer have polio about, nor do we need to flog the Boardroom table to survive, and we now have a near 40m p.a. turnover thanks to Sky, regardsless of whether a few fans drop off.

As Hughes has shown, with proper management onthe pitch, we're a legitimate challenger for Champions League/ UEFA places in our own right, far more than a mere stepping stone for budding talent.

If the occasional player is desperate to go then you can't do much about that but it's not likely to happen more than very occasionally the days.

I would be very wary of selling him. Whatever his value on the Market is, what are the chances of getting a player as good as him for the same money? Very little I think.

The only way I could see it happening is

a) we get a massive bid

AND

cool.gif he wants to leave

I doubt it will happen. Still it's a good sign to have 2 players linked with moves to United. Shows we are on the up. If we can keep the squad together and make a couple of Sparky Special Signings in the Summer we'll Sorted.

Say that with a few pints on ya! ohmy.gif

I think we should keep MGP at our best.

Every player has his own price tag, but as a player who has made great contribution to our decent performance so far this season, who has really settled in our current squad and the Premiership football, and who is still promising and keep on going up, Morten Gamest Pederson is irreplaceable now. Though most of the Rover's players improved a lot under Sparky and played fair well this season, MGP is still one of the few players that has real quality in our current squad.

I don't understand why some of our fans want swap him with a 10 million cheque, I hope they haven't forgotten the situation we faced when we just let Alan Shearer and Damien Duff go, we will suffer a great loss if we let a decent player go, not only the quality of our squad and the performance, but also the large amount of potential money we will got through good performance. The only right time to sell a player like MGP is when there is no possiblity to keep him.

BRFC need decent players to attract fans to attend the game.

BRFC need decent players to attract sponsors to put money in.

BRFC need decent players to attract decent players to join BRFC.

That's why we should keep our decent players at our best.

If we end up selling MGP for 6 million and Bellamy for 10 it'd be dissapointing as hell for supporters but not if that left the club in a stronger and safer position than it was when they came.

392714[/snapback]

I appreciate what you are saying but I can't imagine a scenario whereby £16m puts us in a stronger and safer position. We are already in "a stronger and safer" position than when these two players arrived thanks to the efforts of Hughes and his team on and off the pitch.

If you view this from a purely financial position then, yes, an influx of £16m does improve the club's position but football clubs, especially one in Blackburn's unique position, do not work like this. The effect is also very, very short-term. To sell Bellamy and MGP would immediately undermine all the good work of the past 18 months, leave fans disillusioned and the missing thousands even less likely to return.

Saying no to Utd or any other club is essential unless that club offers such a stupid amount that it is glaringly obvious to the support that there is no choice. So £6m, No but at perhaps £15-20m, Yes. Bellamy even more - he's a proven goal-scorer of enormous ability, he can be like Shearer in our future. Ridiculous amounts, true, but we can't calculate their value just as players, Rovers have to consider their influence in every aspect as we look to build for the future. Sell MGP and/or Bellamy and it's as good as asking Hughes to leave and trebling the price of admission on the same day.

In MGP's case I'm not sure he's actually good enough to get in the Utd side?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.