BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pedersen For United?

I read in an interview piece with Duff that he was on 70,000 a week basic when he first moved to Chelsea. That was a few years and he may even be on subststantially more by now.

Rovers cannot compete with that, nor should they.

As for MGP - it's all hypothetical but ultimately it is up to Hughes. Would he prefer to have money to spend on new players or MGP?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If an offer came in from United, I'm sure that the club would consider it, unless it was totally insulting. Pedersen has been a great signing for us IMO. He solved the left sided problem that our team had and he has provided us with our only other genuine goal threat. He may go missing for large portions of a game, but he is always likely to pop and get a goal.

An offer over £8 million would surely interest the club. There would be the possibility of bringing in two or three new players, one of which would have to be a replacement for Pedersen. However, would a replacement be able to fit into our style of play as well and get the same amount of goals that Pedersen does? I'm not sure and that's why I'd want to keep him. Added to this, I'd hate to see him playing for United. We signed him, when United weren't willing to and he has developed into a really good player and the thought of United nipping in, once they've seen that he can handle the Premiership would really annoy me.

when United weren't willing to and he has developed into a really good player and the thought of United nipping in, once they've seen that he can handle the Premiership would really annoy me.

393319[/snapback]

Nothing anybody can do about it. It's Dog eat Dog and probably always will be now. Nobody cared at all about the likes of Leicester, Soton, Norwich, Dundee, Rangers, Brum, newcastle, Tromso, Millwall etc etc when we signed their best players did they?

There is a piece in today's Dagbladet about scholes being at Ewood last week. Nothing new, it's just a copy from the Citizen report of a few days ago. Morten quoted as being unable to confirm if United are interested or not. Also that he is a Rovers player and wants to win things with Rovers.

It is my dream that this summer, by some bizarre series of events, Rovers sell Pedersen for £8m-£10m, Chelsea sign some superstar like Joaquin and decide Duff is surplus, and Rovers end up resigning Duff for £6m-£8m.

I remember being told by someone in the know that Duff went to Chelsea to discuss terms and was offered £60k a week but returned to Rovers and said he would be willing to stay if we upped his wage from £35k to £45k a week.

Rovers were so hell bent on getting the £17m (Can't blame em too much) that we declined his offer, and Duff reluctantly (at the time) left.

Not arsed if anyone posts anything cynical about that, as I myself would, but tis true I was told this, and it is true that I believe the source.

The only way i would let MGP go is if Duff signed 1 minute after Pedersen left, i do not want to sell MGP and not have a player who when on form is better then Pedersen lined up such as Duffer.

Also when Duffe rleft didn't he say, i'd love to return to Blackburn Rovers one day and play for us.

If you think about it, Pedersen would actually suit Chelski's system much better than Duff does - he scores goals by arriving late in the box, great first touch and vision/passing ability, and is a hard working tactically aware player. His weaknesses i.e his hit and miss crosses and his pace/ability to beat a player would be hidden.

Not that they're trying to sign him mind, just thought it was interesting

Indeed. He looked a completely different player for Ireland a couple of weeks ago (Horrible experience for me as a Swede though sad.gif). Now exactly what that's due to, I don't know. Could be that he was given more freedom, and it could be that he was in a familiar enviroment, one he feels comfortable in.

But to go from him being potentially interested in a move to the northwest there is some way to go for that to actually happen. And even if it does happen, there are plenty of clubs he could move to that would make it possible for him to live in his old area.

392867[/snapback]

As a point of interest, Duff's record for Chelsea this season reads as follows (all competitions) -

Starts - 35

As Sub - 10

Goals - 3

Compare that to Chelsea's biggest names -

Lampard

Starts - 43

As Sub - 2

Goals - 17

Terry

Starts - 44

As Sub - 0

Goals - 5

Drogba

Starts - 35

As Sub - 12

Goals - 13

Cech

Starts - 37

As Sub - 0

Goals - 0

Joe Cole

Starts - 40

As Sub - 9

Goals - 9

Gudjohnsen

Starts - 35

As Sub - 12

Goals - 3

Looking at that, you couldn't really say that Duff, despite not putting in great appearances, is being overlooked by Mourinho - infact he's retaining his place during a below par season. That would suggest to me that Mourinho sees him as an important part of his plans - mores the pity.

It is my dream that this summer, by some bizarre series of events, Rovers sell Pedersen for £8m-£10m, Chelsea sign some superstar like Joaquin and decide Duff is surplus, and Rovers end up resigning Duff for £6m-£8m.

I remember being told by someone in the know that Duff went to Chelsea to discuss terms and was offered £60k a week but returned to Rovers and said he would be willing to stay if we upped his wage from £35k to £45k a week.

Rovers were so hell bent on getting the £17m (Can't blame em too much) that we declined his offer, and Duff reluctantly (at the time) left.

Not arsed if anyone posts anything cynical about that, as I myself would, but tis true I was told this, and it is true that I believe the source.

393355[/snapback]

Pretty much how I heard it, although I hadn't heard about wanting a pay rise- only some assurance that the club actually wanted him to stay. He didn't get it. We got £17m. And spent it on Ferguson, Emerton and Amauseless (and, thank god, Steven Reid)

We got £17m.  And spent it on Ferguson, Emerton and Amauseless (and, thank god, Steven Reid)

393935[/snapback]

Actually I remember seeing Amo and Emos' press conference a day or two before Duffer left. How does that grab you?

Ferguson was where most of the Duff money went, but you are right Amo and Emerton had already signed before Duff left. Can we please all move on from Duff though, it will be three years this summer, we are onto bigger and better things now.

Nothing anybody can do about it.  It's Dog eat Dog and probably always will be now.    Nobody cared at all about the likes of Leicester, Soton, Norwich, Dundee,  Rangers, Brum, newcastle, Tromso, Millwall etc etc when we signed their best players did they?

393320[/snapback]

I felt sorry for Tromso unsure.gif

The difference is that all those players left to go to a bigger and better club tongue.gif

He wouldn't get a game at Manc

Emerton, Reid and Amo were bought out of the Dunn money. The majority of the Duff money was put in the bank and then £6.5m was used for Bazza. Also some of that money for bazza woulda come from our 6th placed finish!

Emerton, Reid and Amo were bought out of the Dunn money. The majority of the Duff money was put in the bank and then £6.5m was used for Bazza. Also some of that money for bazza woulda come from our 6th placed finish!

394295[/snapback]

I am not 100% - but I thought that the Reid signing was rushed through after we sold Duff. Especially as there was lots of mis-placed media attention about him being Duff's replacement. It's debateable whether the Dunn money would have paid for Reid even if we hadn't sold Duff - though I think the sale of Duff did rush the deal through, and for money nearer to Millwalls than our initial valuation.

While on the subject of Reid - I think Souness himself said that he saw him as a potential centre midfield star. Whether he would have actually progressed to that under Souness is debateable.

Ferguson was where most of the Duff money went, but you are right Amo and Emerton had already signed before Duff left. Can we please all move on from Duff though, it will be three years this summer, we are onto bigger and better things now.

393948[/snapback]

I'd prefer it if we could re open the ''Is there, Isn't there a clause'' debate.

I reckon there might be you know.

I am not 100% - but I thought that the Reid signing was rushed through after we sold Duff.

394297[/snapback]

Correct. We had an offer on the table all summer that Millwall had rejected as derisory and we only beefed it up once we had ushered Duff out of the door to get our 17m.

I think we had already bought Bert and Hulk Hogan after selling Dunn. A further 6m - 7m was then spent on Ferguson.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is time to drop Pedersen/ or maybe even sell him if he doesnt improve.

Next game I would give Peter a chance or the young lad Treacy, they cant do anything less than him.

His effort is lacking, and his set pieces are now average at best. Not that long ago he could score from corners and 8 out of 10 free kicks would hit the target - not any more! He needs to be left at home training like Benni was.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.