BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BBC v ITV

Tris

BBC streets ahead from what I've seen thus far - better theme tune, better features, better presenter, better pundits ...

and as for the commentary - what's Gareth Southgate doing behind an ITV microphone?! Clive Tyldsley is bad enough even when he's got someone capable to help - Southgate is a disaster!!

I had to replace them with radio commentary after 20 minutes!!

UKTV G2 appear to be screening the same games as the BBC, when I flicked over during the opening game Big Ron was the co-commentator and the picture feed seemed to be poorer than on BBC1 so I didn't hang around.

Historically, ITV always get trounced in the ratings when the big tournaments come around every couple of years - I don't think this time will be any different - if England get to the stage where the two broadcasters go head-to-head on the same matches, ITV will be embarassed.

[edit - ok, how do you make this new MB accept the title as you want it to appear without changing uppercase / lowercase?!

What was wrong with BBC v ITV - it changed it to Bbc V Itv ... and it just won't allow v to remain in lower case!]

Edited by Tris

Garreth Southgate on a microphone! lol. Don't make me laugh. I know ITV are desperate for pundits and co-commentators but he is so boring.

EDIT-I've ehard him speak on ITV and he sound seven more boring than i thought he would.

Edited by ihatethedingles

I wish the Beeb would get some entertaining pundits who know EUROPEAN football, rather than just British football.

The BBC line-up was Hansen, O'Neill and Shearer. Hansen revelled in going into the gory details of dreadful defending, as usual, but is otherwise dreary. Shearer is as mundane a pundit as he was prolific a goalscorer. Martin O'Neill knew his stuff imo.

There are entertaining pundits out there with good knowledge. If Talksport can get people like Gab Marcotti (dogmatic but knowledgeable), Guillem Balague (also on Sky), Xavier Revoire etc why can't the BBC get similar people with that kind of holistic knowledge?.

If they are covering a game like Germany v Costa Rica, is it too much to ask for for ONE pundit to know the German team in some kind of detail? Do they really believe that the audience want to see and hear familiar faces/voices over genuinely articulate and intelligent comments?

I don't know how many people agree with me but it is so annoying when the punditry insults the intelligence of its audience. Alan Shearer, after the match, had a feeble attempt at analysing Germany's attacking performance - "Schneider and some others were good." WTE. His most perceptive comment on the match was that the new ball makes things a lot harder for the goalkeepers - and Hansen wasn't much better.

WHY? .....Grrrrrrrrr.. :angry:

:tu:

Edited by rover6

Don't like he way the BBC commentater's/pundits keep saying who England will be playing after the group stages. I'm all for showing confidence but the way they go on is bordering on arrogance and shows disrespect to the other teams involved in the competition. Let's hope it doesn't come back to bite them/us on the arse. ITV, on the other hand, seem to have learnt from previous gaffs (Was it Keegan, against Romania, "There's only one team going to win it now", seconds before Romania scored the winner? I'd love to see England win, but the World cup to me means enjoying watching ALL the teams in the competition. The way the BBC puts down other teams and "bigs up" England is a disgace. And that gobs*ite Ian "drama queen" Wright hasnt been on yet.

[edit - ok, how do you make this new MB accept the title as you want it to appear without changing uppercase / lowercase?!

What was wrong with BBC v ITV - it changed it to Bbc V Itv ... and it just won't allow v to remain in lower case!]

It's an American board, is the only thing I can think of. The previous version used to do something similar, I forget what exactly. This one is strange; if you create a topic tiltle BBC v ITV, when the topic is first posted the title changes to Bbc V Itv. If one then edits the topic title it will accept BBC v ITV - which is what I've done with this topic. I'll have a play with the settings, which should f*** it up totally :D

ITV is consistently crap however I was most unsettled by the BBC coverage yesterday. The hour's worth of pre-game analysis was focused almost entirely on all things English. While I understand the natural interest in the national team, as a public broadcaster the BBC's jingoistic, cloying attitude (in which Germany, a possible knock-out stage opponent, were consistently criticised despite a good performance) to be very unprofessional. There are licence payers in the rest of the UK who simply want to watch the World Cup without being exposed to the apparent assumption that we all want England to win.

Edited by Rovermatt

Whoever designed that stadium wants shooting, 50% of the time you can't see tha ball on TV. Cameras located too far from the pitch for a decent view. Crap coverage.

ITV is consistently crap however I was most unsettled by the BBC coverage yesterday. The hour's worth of pre-game analysis was focused almost entirely on all things English. While I understand the natural interest for the national team, as a public broadcaster I found the BBC's jingoistic, cloying attitude (in which Germany, a possible knock-out stage opponent, were consistently criticised despite a good performance) to be very unprofessional. There are licence payers in the rest of the UK who simply want to watch the World Cup without being exposed to the apparent assumption that we all want England to win.

Well said Matt. The anti-German sentiment aside, I found it insulting that in the build up the game at hand (the opening game of a World Cup, featuring the host nation after all!) was almost completely ignored, coverage sacrificed for updates on how England's training session had gone that morning. As if that wasn't enough, we got more of the same at half time.

Very off putting - it's a real shame there is no viable alternative..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.