BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ian Wright- Get This Man Off Our Tv Screens

Why was a disabled/cripple linesman 'running' the line?

The linesman had Thalidomide - which can result in birth defects such as no arms or no legs. In this particular linesman's case, Richard Saunders, he had one arm about half it's normal size. His other arm was okay and he used that arm to raise his flag for offside.

Mr Saunders has no disablities with his legs and was therefore able to run the line like anyone else. He was said to be deeply upset at the stream of obscenities from Ian Wright - who called him an 'effing cripple.

By all means tell a linesman that he's got a decision wrong and that he shouldn't have raised his flag - but nobody at all deserves to be abused for a disability and what Ian Wright said to him was reprehensible. The BBC should not be employing this man to work for them. If I was Alan Hansen or Gary Lineker I would refuse to work with Wright.

Ian Wright is the first to jump up and down and complain about "racism", but clearly he also thinks that it's perfectly okay to abuse people for having disabilities.

Link: Big Ron's not that bad compared with Wright

Where is the satisfaction in winning through cheating? There is none. None whatsoever.

I agree with your thoughts Simon, but just wondered how this squares up with your championing of Robbie Savage in recent years ?

I was at Highbury last November to see Rovers' final match at the famous old stadium, and I was frankly ashamed with Robbie's actions on that miserable grey wet afternoon. Savage mouthed off at Reyes, who in response flicked a gentle gloved hand at him, literally no more than brushing Savage's blonde hair. It was the lightest of touches, but Robbie went down as if he'd been punched by Mike Tyson.

It was an embarrassment watching the incident being replayed again on Match of the Day. It's the type of incident which damages our image as a football club and leads to Blackburn Rovers being negatively perceived by the media and by other fans.

Savage of course has plenty of "previous" where this sort of thing is concerned. Playing for Leicester in the 1999 Worthington Cup final against Spurs, he got Justin Edinburgh sent off that day. In a match against Derby at Pride Park, there was also a nauseating provocative celebration from Savage after he had dived to get a penalty. And against West Ham he got Igor Stimac sent off.

As a friend of mine (a Carlisle fan) said to me: "I used to like Rovers a few years ago when players like Duff, Dunn and Jansen were in the team. They played attractive football and were like a second team to me. But I can't stomach Rovers now that Robbie Savage plays for you."

IPB Image

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The linesman had Thalidomide - which can result in birth defects such as no arms or no legs. In this particular linesman's case, Richard Saunders, he had one arm about half it's normal size. His other arm was okay and he used that arm to raise his flag for offside.

Mr Saunders has no disablities with his legs and was therefore able to run the line like anyone else. He was said to be deeply upset at the stream of obscenities from Ian Wright - who called him an 'effing cripple.

By all means tell a linesman that he's got a decision wrong and that he shouldn't have raised his flag - but nobody at all deserves to be abused for a disability and what Ian Wright said to him was reprehensible. The BBC should not be employing this man to work for them. If I was Alan Hansen or Gary Lineker I would refuse to work with Wright.

Ian Wright is the first to jump up and down and complain about "racism", but clearly he also thinks that it's perfectly okay to abuse people for having disabilities.

I agree with your thoughts Simon, but just wondered how this squares up with your championing of Robbie Savage in recent years ?

I was at Highbury last November to see Rovers' final match at the famous old stadium, and I was frankly ashamed with Robbie's actions on that miserable grey wet afternoon. Savage mouthed off at Reyes, who in response flicked a gentle gloved hand at him, literally no more than brushing Savage's blonde hair. It was the lightest of touches, but Robbie went down as if he'd been punched by Mike Tyson.

It was an embarrassment watching the incident being replayed again on Match of the Day. It's the type of incident which damages our image as a football club and leads to Blackburn Rovers being negatively perceived by the media and by other fans.

Savage of course has plenty of "previous" where this sort of thing is concerned. Playing for Leicester in the 1999 Worthington Cup final against Spurs, he got Justin Edinburgh sent off that day. In a match against Derby at Pride Park, there was also a nauseating provocative celebration from Savage after he had dived to get a penalty. And against West Ham he got Igor Stimac sent off.

As a friend of mine (a Carlisle fan) said to me: "I used to like Rovers a few years ago when players like Duff, Dunn and Jansen were in the team. They played attractive football and were like a second team to me. But I can't stomach Rovers now that Robbie Savage plays for you."

IPB Image

Yawn. He's a good tv pundit and was a great player, savage is a good player, leave it at that.

IPB Image

Can't condone incidents like that either Smiffy but to be fair I think Savage has worked quite hard to cut that sort of stuff out of his game since.

The Gerrard incident doesn't stop him being a great player, nor does the Highbury alter the fact that Savage is great at what he does best - stopping the opposition play. :)

Edited by RevidgeBlue

Did he try and fool the officials? I didn't see any attempt at an appeal, he simply went to ground.

Answer the question.

I'll answer the question with a question........... Do you rem

1. Robbie Fowler in the same situation trying to stop the Ref sending off David Seaman? That was sporting behaviour of the highest order. He'd gone to ground to avoid the collision and had tried to explain that to the ref. That the ref took no notice and still sent ofgf Seaman ranks with that Jock who booked Gazza for handing his card back as the worst examples of refereeing that I have ever seen.

2. Cisse getting Zurab sent off?

Which rocks your boat Eddie?

I'll answer the question with a question........... Do you rem

1. Robbie Fowler in the same situation trying to stop the Ref sending off David Seaman? That was sporting behaviour of the highest order. He'd gone to ground to avoid the collision and had tried to explain that to the ref. That the ref took no notice and still sent ofgf Seaman ranks with that Jock who booked Gazza for handing his card back as the worst examples of refereeing that I have ever seen.

2. Cisse getting Zurab sent off?

Which rocks your boat Eddie?

1. Didn't Fowler actually try and stop the penalty being given? It was a marvelous piece of honesty and sportsmanship that is rarely seen, though I believe he did stake up to take the penalty, although he missed it. There are very few other examples of this sort of thing, though the Di Canio incident springs to mind, but unfortunately that is not the way modern football is played, I doubt it was ever really played like that.

2. It was an incorrect decision, but I don't think of Cisse as a cheat as a result of it, certainly there I placed more blame on the officials than I did on the Liverpool player. Most people take the view that you play the game and if things go your way then by all means take it. I disagree with players trying to fool officials or displaying unsportsmanlike behaviour, but I do accept it as unfortunately being part of the modern game. More to the point, I certainly am not going to vilify a player on the team I support simply because he may or may not have dived, especially in a game where the result had no meaning. It remains unclear whether or not Gerrard did dive, you can have your opinion and I, along with a few others, can have our own. I don't think it really matters as in a weeks time we won't even be able to remember the score of the England-Hungary game let alone care about a first half penalty that may or may not have been.

So we dont play attractive attacking football now we have savage?

That's not really the point AESF was making Flopsy .

A lot of supporters are increasingly uneasy about the extent of "simulating" going on in the game - I certainly am . Much support is lost through the turnstiles due to the behaviour of many footballers . To see Savage get up to such tricks is predictable but shouldn't be condoned just because he plays for the Rovers , and to see Gerard diving around is disappointing to say the least .

If we win the world cup by such tactics then so be it - we can't do a thing about it . But make no mistake , it would still be won by "ungentlemanly conduct" to say the least .

1. Didn't Fowler actually try and stop the penalty being given? It was a marvelous piece of honesty and sportsmanship that is rarely seen, though I believe he did stake up to take the penalty, although he missed it.

Seaman pushed it out. Jason McAteer pinged it back in the net.

What a complete and utter tit this guy is.

Now for starters we have had is England this and England that RAMMED down our throats for weeks now, but this guy takes the biscuit. I can respect that it is hard for English presenters to be impartial (and I include Hansen in that - cause he right loves England!!) but Ian Wright is just a bawbag commoner. "I just don't care about all the other nations, just England, who cares about the rest of em."

I think the covergae has been EVEN WORSE this year than before I mean how many times do they mention that year in the sixties?? Is it really necessary for the neutral viewer to hear chat about ENGLAND during EVERY other game in the tournament?

I can expect the odd mention here or there obviously, but BBC have now got worse than ITV for employing such idiot thug tits like Ian Wright.

Lineker is obviously totally biased too, but isn't in your face like Wright.

In summary - Lawro is a godsend to the world of punditry by comparison to Wright.

I have been moaning about the BBC coverage in the World Cup forum and totally agree with Murray92.

The very fact I am sitting down to watch a non-England game means I have some interest in teams other than England. Therefore, it would be more than helpful if some of the pundits knew something about the other teams - other than the basic stuff they've been spoon-fed by the BBC research team.

I don't want to see smug, myopic, England supporting dunderheads making vague and desultory remarks on other nations before going on endlessly about their beloved nation.

If anyone's listened to the FiveLive coverage, they are making a FAR BETTER fist of it. But that's not exactly hard.

THe BBC should've hired articulate foreign journalists (fluent in English obviously) to provide some of the analysis, especially for non-England games.

I think the BBC coverage has been very good, beats the French coverage hands down (they love England on there too though). I like the pundits, I think they know their stuff and review the games well while also being interesting and entertaining.

Rover6, guess you missed Leanardo yesterday then?

Edited by Eddie

Must admit that the SBS coverage in Australia has been fabulous.

We've had Martin Tyler and a few others and they have been even handed, informative and descriptive.

All I need now is some information on how to stay awake for the night games. The wife and daughter are in Hong Kong, so who is there to get me out of bed in the morning?

The fact they have Ian Wright on shows a lack of respect for the other nations in the competition. You are watching analysis of the DUTCH match, you expect discussion about the DUTCH MATCH! FFS!! Not to say Robben had a blinder and 30 seonds later start goin on about how England are doin this hat and t'other!

Lineker should be a pundit no more. Wright shouldn't even get a look in. That guy from Sky Jeff Sterling is the best front man out there bar none.

Edited by murray92

Tip for you Murray - turn the telly volume off and have the Five Live commentary on. Plus : no annoying gits like Wright and Jonathan Pearce but the minus is that for some reason the radio is a couple of seconds ahead of the TV so when Lampard is lining up a shot on the telly, you hear the groans as it ends up in row Z on the radio.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.