BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ian Wright- Get This Man Off Our Tv Screens

I think the BBC coverage has been very good, beats the French coverage hands down (they love England on there too though). I like the pundits, I think they know their stuff and review the games well while also being interesting and entertaining.

Rover6, guess you missed Leanardo yesterday then?

I did miss Leonardo but people like Hansen just get on my nerves.

Next time he's on, think about every comment he makes and consider whether what he's going on about is self-evident or cliched.

His one talent is to spout the obvious with a few vehemently spoken adjectives thrown in. 'Abysmal defending,' 'diabolical defending' blah blah blah. (Shearer does the same but minus the vehemence and the adjectives and uttered in a drone that surely spells the end for insomnia).

If anyone's heard Gabrielle Marcotti or Adrian Durham (a shame they work for talksport) or Guillem Balague, you will know what a real pundit is - even if you don't agree with them all the time.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In summary - Lawro is a godsend to the world of punditry by comparison to Wright.

That's maybe going a bit too far :lol: but I see your point about "Wrighty".

Did like it when Lineker said at the end "no point in asking Ian Wright about the next day's games as he doesn't care". If he has that viewpoint then what on earth is he doing being a "pundit" on games other than England's. Can't stand the guy, the guy is knob. The commentating teams aren't exactly that good either. At least BBC give you the red button option of the standard TV, Radio 5L and stadium sound. Sometimes really tempted with just to have the stadium sound on.

The coverage so far has been shockingly bad. ITV has paled in comparison to the hysterical jingoism evident on BBC. Yesterday for example, before the Mexico-Iran tie, we had Gary and Lee Dixon making derisory comments about how unfortunate it was having to watch 'games like this'. It turned out to be a good match but they looked oh so bored.

England, England, England...

I wish the Beeb would get some entertaining pundits who know EUROPEAN football, rather than just British football.

The very fact I am sitting down to watch a non-England game means I have some interest in teams other than England. Therefore, it would be more than helpful if some of the pundits knew something about the other teams - other than the basic stuff they've been spoon-fed by the BBC research team.

I don't want to see smug, myopic, England supporting dunderheads making vague and desultory remarks on other nations before going on endlessly about their beloved nation.

I did miss Leonardo but people like Hansen just get on my nerves.

If anyone's heard Gabrielle Marcotti or Adrian Durham (a shame they work for talksport) or Guillem Balague, you will know what a real pundit is - even if you don't agree with them all the time.

As usual, your latest hobby horse is making you blinkered. Leonardo was back in the BBC studio for USA v Czech Rep with Lee Dixon and Alan Shearer - clearly the "B" team but they're all worth a listen - Dixon especially is worth listening to.

In the studio for Italy-Ghana the beeb have Marcel Desailly who has given a wonderful new perspective and some great insights. Not only that, but a significant part of the pre-match programme saw him over in Ghana at Abedi Pele's football academy. I bet your talk sport heroes don't even know where Ghana is.

I'd far rather see intelligent ex-players than publicity seeking journalist jokers like Balague - the only reason you've ever heard of him is because Tabloid TV (Sky Sports News) call him up on his mobile every time they want crap gossip from Spain rather than crap gossip from our own gutter press.

Edited by Tris

As usual, your latest hobby horse is making you blinkered. Leonardo was back in the BBC studio for USA v Czech Rep with Lee Dixon and Alan Shearer - clearly the "B" team but they're all worth a listen - Dixon especially is worth listening to.

In the studio for Italy-Ghana the beeb have Marcel Desailly who has given a wonderful new perspective and some great insights. Not only that, but a significant part of the pre-match programme saw him over in Ghana at Abedi Pele's football academy. I bet your talk sport heroes don't even know where Ghana is.

I'd far rather see intelligent ex-players than publicity seeking journalist jokers like Balague - the only reason you've ever heard of him is because Tabloid TV (Sky Sports News) call him up on his mobile every time they want crap gossip from Spain rather than crap gossip from our own gutter press.

It's next to Togo and the Ivory Coast, a hotbed of football :tu:

I've been impressed with Desailly and O'Neill tonight, even if they still struggle to get a wold in edgeways. Mr Hansen has to have his screen time ;)

How come when I listen to Martin O'Neil I don't get the urge to think "stop stating the bleeding obvious , I can see that"

Most pundits talk like they're talking to the 3% of the population who've only tuned in cos its the world cup and know nothing about football whereas the other 97% of us have to sit and suffer.

At least on BBC if you press the red button on digi you can knock Motson off and get either Five Live commentary or just crowd noise. Bliss.

As usual, your arrogance is making you blinkered.

The only reason I've heard of Balague is because I used to listen to a fantastic talksport programme (those three words don't go together very often) called Talksport in Europe, in which Durham, Marcotti, Balague and others discussed European football in a very entertaining and informed way. Anyone else who listened to that show, which sadly fell by the way-side after a season, will agree with me.

I totally agree with you that Marcel Desailly brightened up the show in the Ghana match coverage. Linekar and Hansen were forced to put their silly mirth to one side and actually discuss a game of football because Desailly was so opinionated. And Martin O'Neill was good value, as usual.

Now imagine if Marcel Desailly (or for that matter, Leonardo) was actually more fluent in English. (He did a damn good job regardless). Just imagine what you'd have. You'd have a genuinely engrossing debate in a MOTD studio. I'm breaking out in a sweat at the thought.

People like Balague, Marcotti etc (I keep mentioning them but they're the only ones I can think of at the moment) can speak good English AND are opinionated and knowledgeable on matters pertaining to foreign football, especially continental. You're apparent idea that all journalists are publicity-seeking is ridiculous and not worthy of a retort. And besides, I'd rather listen to an informed publicity-seeking joker than a Scottish joker who revels in stating the axiomatic in grandiloquent terms.

I was so angry when I watched the coverage for the opening game, Germany v Costa Rica, when it became apparent that none of the pundits knew much about the German or Costa Rican teams and cared even less. Just disgraceful.

Edited by rover6

He heres hoping the BBC use Desailly much more, a very interesting, funny without trying too hard ( linekar ) and likeable person, something which is rare in football.

Anyone notice both of the BBC's non english pundits, desailly and leonardo, have been the most likeable pundits on the BBC since god knows when.

Ian Wright needs to get the chop, hes annoying, biased and overly loud, always laughing at Linekars 'jokes' to be one of the 'boys'. Also anyone notice he always makes a point of praising the black players more then anyone else?

Edited by wakefieldrawks

Now imagine if Marcel Desailly (or for that matter, Leonardo) was actually more fluent in English. (He did a damn good job regardless). Just imagine what you'd have. You'd have a genuinely engrossing debate in a MOTD studio. I'm breaking out in a sweat at the thought.

People like Balague, Marcotti etc (I keep mentioning them but they're the only ones I can think of at the moment) can speak good English AND are opinionated and knowledgeable on matters pertaining to foreign football, especially continental. You're apparent idea that all journalists are publicity-seeking is ridiculous and not worthy of a retort. And besides, I'd rather listen to an informed publicity-seeking joker than a Scottish joker who revels in stating the axiomatic in grandiloquent terms.

The MOTD studio guests are not there to provide engrossing debate. They are there to provide a (very) few minutes of analysis and comment on 90 minutes of live football action - the real purpose of each broadcast. If you want hours of meaningless bullsh!t stick to tabloid Talk Sport and the jokers they hire to pollute the airwaves.

Talking of bullsh!t, what an interesting second paragraph, with all those matters pertaining to foreign football (especially continental). I hope I'm not stating the axiomatic in grandiloquent terms ...

:rolleyes:

Tris spot on again.

Come on Mr Armchair, show us you can spot a duff pundit- you've had enough practise.

Come on Pip, Rovers6 may get alot of stick on here and post some stupid opinions sometimes, but his posts are always very articulated and informative, shouldnt Mods be setting a example instead of slating other posters at every opportunity?

Anyone notice both of the BBC's non english pundits, desailly and leonardo , have been the most likeable pundits on the BBC since god knows when.

You're joking right? Leonardo has to be the most pointless 'pundit' ever. He never says anything insightful and states the obvious more times than Hanson!! "Yes, Czech Republic play in white". Whenever he talks, its car crash Tv.

Oh, and i do like Martin O'Neill as a pundit but i really dont think he is as 'witty' as people make out. He seems like a bit of a fool and a rather nasty man.

Durham is either a complete plonker, or an extremely clever broadcaster, or possiblya mixture of both.

Every single night he takes outrageously provocative stances, no doubt to provoke a lively phone in/text response.

His last few I can recall off the top of my head were:

1) Steve McClaren must go down as one of the all time great England managers for leading Boro to a Uefa Cup Final.

2) Any mistimed tackle that makes contact with an opponent in the World Cup should be a straight red

3) Anything less than winning the World Cup must be regarded as failure for England

4) (Having already got 3 points against Paraguay) We must risk Rooney on Thursday night against the mighty T and T.

I think Marcotti is excellent.

Durham is either a complete plonker, or an extremely clever broadcaster, or possiblya mixture of both.

Every single night he takes outrageously provocative stances, no doubt to provoke a lively phone in/text response.

His last few I can recall off the top of my head were:

1) Steve McClaren must go down as one of the all time great England managers for leading Boro to a Uefa Cup Final.

2) Any mistimed tackle that makes contact with an opponent in the World Cup should be a straight red

3) Anything less than winning the World Cup must be regarded as failure for England

4) (Having already got 3 points against Paraguay) We must risk Rooney on Thursday night against the mighty T and T.

I think Marcotti is excellent.

After the Spurs game early in the season, the ginger tosser Durham and his sidekick Martin suggested Rovers should be docked points/demoted from the Premier League because of our conduct in the game! He's nothing more than a WUM like the rest of the presenters on that station.

Rev, its just one of the two. The guy is a complete muppet who can only get a lively phone in going by making the ridiculous statements you pointed out and then defending them to a point of no return no matter how good the response. Any of us can do that. It would be like me suggesting live on air that Owen had an hour to score against Paraguay but failed and should therefore be sent home in disgrace. Easy isn`t it.

As for Wright, I love him.

Okay, I promise to not moan about the coverage again. However, I would just like to whizz you into the future. (AND yes, I know, sarcasm is truly the lowest form of wit)!

MOTD's World Cup montage springs into action. As the intro runs, the stylized depiction of an extremely rare sight shocks the audience into silence - Steven Gerrard actually looking menacing in an England jersey. Having been momentarily shaken by this extraordinary concept, the eager viewers are reassured by an earnest looking Gary Linekar. Ian Wright, Alan Hansen and Alan Shearer are poised for action in their chairs.

Gary: The knock-out stages are here and England's time has come. England face the surprise package from Group A, South Americans, Ecuador. Before the match we'll gauge the mood of the England camp with some mind-numbingly dull interviews with David Beckham, Joe Cole and Owen Hargreaves -.

Wrighty: Awwww. Not Hargreaves. The bloke's having it on with Sven between training sessions.

Gary: Er, ah, erm, yeah, so we'll hear how the England boys are getting on and Garth Crooks has been to speak to the Ecuador manager about all things Ecuadorian.

Hansen: Ha ha ha.

Gary: Why are you laughing?

Hansen: Doesn't everyone laught at Garth Crooks?

Gary: Oh yeah! Ha ha ha. Alan, I hear you have been suffering from a stiff back, may I massage it for you?

(Alan decides that after the show might be a more pragmatic time, Gary returns to the football.)

Gary: So will this be a cake-walk for England, Alan Shearer?

Shearer: No. International games are never cake-walks. Apart from when you win 7-0, or when you play Saudi Arabia or the Solomon Islands when they have their star play suspended. You've got to take his goal as it comes. No complacency. Show the opposition respect but that doesn't mean you can't elbow them. At the end of the day, let bygones be bygones and too many cooks spoil the broth and you can't win it if you're not in. England are in it and we have world class players like Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard - world class players.

Gary: Wrighty, our resident Ecuador expert (titters in the studio) can England overcome the South Americans?

Wrighty: Ecuador are like minnows. England are like sharks. Sometimes the minnows eat the sharks - that's life. But it don't happen often - in fact we know England are gonna win cos we're just too strong. COME ON ENGLAND. COME ON RIO AND BECKS AND THE REST.

Gary: (Suppressing a patronising grin) And Ecuador - no chance?

Wrighty: Well we know Fidel Castro will expect nothing but a win from his boys. But not many teams from Africa do well in the World Cup. COME ON ENGLAND. COME ON BECKS. SVEN IS A NOB BUT WE LUV ENGLAND.

Hansen: Wrighty's such a typical impartial pundit. (more exuberant titters). I think England are too strong, especially with Rooney back in the team. Rooney will be running again. Magnificent pace, power, acceleration, exposition, delivery, durability, accessibility, municipality. The Ecuadorians have that hardy spirit. You know, being reared in poverty with drug barons having pot shots at you every other minutes - they're bound to have strength, mental strength, physical strength, determination. But England will be too strong, by far.

By the way Alan, (Hansen turns to Shearer) I thought what you said was absolutely fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. Fantastically absolute.

Shearer: (surprised) Thanks!

Hansen: May I stroke your hair?

(Shearer suggests a later date and a dispute arises as to how Gary can massage Alan's stiff back when Hansen is fondling Shearer's hair. But professionalism personified, Gary Linekar, pulls things together.)

Gary: Yesterday, I visited Baden Baden to have a chat with England captain Dav -

Wrighty: Hey Gary, I just realised something. Now we know why you got divorced.

Gary: (Grins cheesily), because I keep visiting bad'uns? (Sycophantic titters).

Wrighty: No, cos you like men, especially Alan Hansen.

Gary: (Those jug-ears noticeably redder). Here's my interview with David Beckham.

THE END.

Edited by rover6

As I said, the coverage is probably exactly the same all over the world for the big nations. Last night I watched USA v Czech Republic and Italy v Ghana on French tv, during half-time in both matches all the analysis they had was showing the goals and then they cut to a reporter at the French camp who said what the French side would be for the game against the Swiss and that Ribery was to get his first cap and is the man of the moment. At the end of the day there probably isn't an interest for the analysis of most of these group games, it is when we get to the knock-out stages that the build up and focus will be on the individual games. I've enjoyed the BBC coverage.

As usual, your arrogance is making you blinkered.

The only reason I've heard of Balague is because I used to listen to a fantastic talksport programme (those three words don't go together very often) called Talksport in Europe, in which Durham, Marcotti, Balague and others discussed European football in a very entertaining and informed way. Anyone else who listened to that show, which sadly fell by the way-side after a season, will agree with me.

I totally agree with you that Marcel Desailly brightened up the show in the Ghana match coverage. Linekar and Hansen were forced to put their silly mirth to one side and actually discuss a game of football because Desailly was so opinionated. And Martin O'Neill was good value, as usual.

I was so angry when I watched the coverage for the opening game, Germany v Costa Rica, when it became apparent that none of the pundits knew much about the German or Costa Rican teams and cared even less. Just disgraceful.

arrogence and blinkered ??

mmmmm would i respect an opinion off someone who attends lots of live matches or someone who sits and trawls the net for his ????

Last night again, we had to listen to Alan Hansen and Ian Wright banging on about England. Granted that they were asked what teams had impressed them so far, Leonardo talked about the Argentines, the Czechs and the Italians, who have played by far the best football of the tournament. Then you have Wright and Hansen rabbiting on about England and how impressive they were in the first half! Then you have Hansen finishing off by saying that "it's all good for the English." What does that mean and on what basis does he think that the first half performance of England come close to the displays of the teams that Leonardo mentioned. God, he must be getting a bit more added to the payslip to be saying things like this. :angry:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.