Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ian Wright- Get This Man Off Our Tv Screens

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he has to go to ground to show the officials

In other words, take a dive ?

Say what you like, Gerrard isn't a diver.

He either is or he isnt.. make your mind up.

Just to help you.. here are 2 pictures

1) Steven Gerrard

IPB Image

2) A Diver

IPB Image

There doesnt need to be contact for it to be foul play dave.

Remeber Ronaldo's red card earlier in the season at City. I dont think anyone said that wasn't a red, yet there was no contact then. ;)

So, you're on your feet, in the penalty area, you've got or going for the ball, and someone attempts to foul you, but misses. Did it stop his momentum? That's not a foul, a crude miss perhaps, and maybe worthy of a card after the advantage has been given.

And there was me, still playing and thinking football was a contact sport.

I find English mentality amazing - we don't need any body else to put our team and players down - we do it all ourselves.

Yes, imo, it was a dive - but hey get over it. Gerrard isn't perfect, but he is one of the more hard working and honest players in the EPL - the out cry over his dive is unbelievable considering what players from other countries do - watching players from other countries - you think they had been shot. Think Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Drogba, Simeone etc etc.

Why doesn't anybody mention that in a normal match Hungary would have been lucky to keep 11 players on the pitch. Deliberate hand ball, body checking etc etc - all yellow card offences that would have totted up in a normal match.

Yes. Ron said, "that's what's known in some schools as a big lazy n***er".

It's hardly comparing someone to a monkey in a non-racist way is it? Some people on here need to get a life, stop do-gooding and start thinking.

Where's the do gooding?

My response was to AESF etc saying Wright is a 'token' panelist.

Start thinking- fool!

Yes gerrard went to ground bit easily - but as someone said, you don't hear the spanish or argies moaning that their teams are cheats... Im sure most people would take a world cup win whatever way it comes

eg owen last time diving for penalty

I find English mentality amazing - we don't need any body else to put our team and players down - we do it all ourselves.

Yes, imo, it was a dive - but hey get over it. Gerrard isn't perfect, but he is one of the more hard working and honest players in the EPL - the out cry over his dive is unbelievable considering what players from other countries do - watching players from other countries - you think they had been shot. Think Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Drogba, Simeone etc etc.

Why doesn't anybody mention that in a normal match Hungary would have been lucky to keep 11 players on the pitch. Deliberate hand ball, body checking etc etc - all yellow card offences that would have totted up in a normal match.

Hey, people all over the world commit murder, why shouldn't I?

Ian Wright may well be a cretin whose BBC appearances - at taxpayers' expense - are justified solely by his status as the only black player ever to gain popular approval among terrace thugs. But he's no less competent than most of the dull fools you'll hear commentating on other channels.

I can hardly bring myself to watch football on the BBC or ITV any more, because of Shearer's monotone, Lawrenson's blind whining, David 'clueless' Pleat's inability to pronounce words of more than one syllable, Hansen's 10-year descent into self-parody, Lineker's punchable smugness...

The way they all refer to England, or any English team, as 'we' is embarrassing. Most of them have no insight to offer. Why are they on TV? Footballers aren't famed for their communication skills.

When I watch US sports, particularly the UFC, the commentary is funny, honest, informative and unfailingly accurate. Why can't we have the same in this country?

My view:-

Steven Gerrard: Dived

Right or Wrong: Wrong, but we wont win it if everyone else cheats and we don't! No time for things to even themselves out at the WC.

Tram youths = Chav's (cans of Stella?)

Ian Wright: Played for Burnley (it doesn't get any worse) but still much more interesting to watch than the rest of the wet muppets on the BBC.

Disabled linesman: 99% of them are myopic therefore disabled. Why was a disabled/cripple linesman 'running' the line?

England bashing: Not really just people expressing an opinion.

Ian Wright was absolutely spot on with what he said! Every team in the world will try to do that against us. Should we be the only ones that don't? Hell no!

I hope that both you and Mr. Wright will be so calm and matter of fact about it should England get knocked out of the competition to a similar bit of play from an opposition.

However, I rather think not. Instead we will get months and months of whinging of how 'we were robbed' and calling for lifetime bans for players who cheat, with no-one able to see that we are unable to take the moral high ground if we condone our players doing the same sort of thing?

Edited by DaveyB

It was a blatant dive and if the shoe had been on the other foot, then Wrighty and co would have gone billistic. The way I saw it, the Hungarian dived in, Gerrard avoided him and fell forwarded, flicking his foot out to catch the defender. Wrighty's argument was that other teams do, so it doesn't matter. Lineiker or Hansen totally passed it by, even though they have spent huge portions of MOTD talking about Drogba and his diving.

yeah. that was great. crouch has got to start in the world cup. he is better than rooney in my opinion.

agreed. also, owen hargreaves has to start. he's the greatest! :D

as for ian wright, football is about opinions. he's employed as a pundit- to give 'his' views. that's all he's doing (people will agree/ disagree). as for bringing in things from his private life, they have nothing to do with his punditry and should be left separate.

So, you're on your feet, in the penalty area, you've got or going for the ball, and someone attempts to foul you, but misses. Did it stop his momentum? That's not a foul, a crude miss perhaps, and maybe worthy of a card after the advantage has been given.

And there was me, still playing and thinking football was a contact sport.

Football is a contact sport, but to jump to move out of the way and lose your momentum is likely, note likely to be a foul.

whilst it is still a contact sport there are boundaries to that.... ;)

Edited by stuwilky

I'm guessing this is why he decided to do it...

IPB Image

He's gone from the least confident player in the league to an all-singing, all-dancing entertainment machine.

I was reading in the paper the other day that Crouch has always had faith in his own ability, something which has stood him in good stead throughout his career.

Wrighty's argument was that other teams do, so it doesn't matter. Lineiker or Hansen totally passed it by, even though they have spent huge portions of MOTD talking about Drogba and his diving.

Maybe Lineker and Hansen thought better of disagreeing with him . Who knows what the grinning imbecile might do or say if someone has an alternative point of view .

Maybe they did right in emulating our own Mr McGarry who , when confronted with someone "different" on the train kept schtum and said sweet buggerall........(other than whinge like a wimp on a messageboard the next day ) :o

Sometimes you can be fouled without contact. A player going in like the defender did is a foul, even if he doesn't get his man, which thankfully he didn't.

Yes but it's not. The only way you can be fouled without any contact is if there's a high foot.

There wasn't any contact. It wasn't a penalty. However, I wouldn't say it was a dive either, since there was no appeal from Gerrard and since I would say he was jumping out of the way of a reckless tackle.

Oh and FFS, Wrighty isn't there just because he's black, he's there because he's got more charisma than the rest of that studio combined.

Edit- sorry, yes, and two footed tackles. Which I don't recall the one on Gerrard being.

Edited by bluebruce

Simulation

A player who attempts to deceive the referee by feigning injury or

pretending to have been fouled is guilty of simulation and must be

cautioned for unsporting behaviour.

So there you have it. Chapter and verse from the FIFA rulebook.

1. The sooner disciplinary action is taken from vid evidence the better. He should by rights have been busted over those 2 incidents that America highlighted.

2. How would we feel if Gerrard does that against us next season? Eh Eddie?

3. Not the best idea to alert the WC referees to his diving ability just days beforee the WC starts is it?

People are pathetic.

He dived. So what?

If he dived and got a pen in the WC final and we won it 1-0 he'd be the biggest legend off all time and people wouldn't say a thing about it.

I seem to remember Mickey Owen diving for a penalty when we beat the Argies 1-0 at the last world cup. Don't seem to remember much critisim from that one.

Finally a point of the laws of the game. The ref can give a penalty even without any contact. If he would deem the actions of the deffender to be worthy of a direct free kick anywhere else on the pitch (serious foul play for a two footed challenge) then if it's commited inside the penalty area it is a penalty regardless of if he touched him or not.

Get of your high horses.

Rant ends.

There was a nauseatingly sycophantic BBC interview after tonight's match in which Garth Crooks basically told Steven Gerrard that he was wonderful, that England were excellent and that everything tonight was hunky-dory.

Why didn't Mr Crooks at least ask Gerrard if there was any contact between himself and the Hungarian player for the penalty - and if not why did he go down so easily?

It seems that nobody from within the Beeb dares to ask the players any difficult questions which might upset the cosy relationship they want to keep with them.

I hope that in the World Cup we won't have any English players complaining about foreigners cheating and diving when they do exactly the same thing themselves.

Joe Cole has a habit of going down too easily and Wayne Rooney, who may or may not be fit to play in the World Cup, is a cheat who blatantly dived for a penalty against Arsenal in the game which ended Arsenal's 49-match unbeaten record in 2004/05.

Ian Wright is a repugnant individual who while playing for Arsenal once abused a disabled linesman, calling him an 'effing cripple.

Also while at Highbury, he was fined £1,500 by the FA in 1992 for spitting at spectators. He also has a criminal record, having served a jail term prior to becoming a professional footballer. I was appalled when the BBC decided to employ this vile creature as a pundit, when he's clearly a dreadful role model for youngsters.

I was disgusted that Wright was awarded an MBE a few years ago. Obviously you can now spit at others, abuse disabled people, have a criminal record and still benefit from the British honours system....

IPB Image

Dare I suggest a possible reason why he might be employed by the BBC?

Now I hope this doesn't anger Mr McGarry too much, but would such a person, with Wright's record, have been employed by the BBC if they had been white? Perhaps they would have done. Perhaps not.

But in the same way as the British police force has introduced a policy of "positive discrimination" to increase the number of black and Asian police officers, Greg Dyke, the former BBC director-general, previously stated that there were not enough black and Asian people on the BBC and set a target of 10% non-white staff by 2003 - a number of BBC news trainee places were set aside especially for people from the ethnic minorities.

What I do know, is that irrespective of whether Ian Wright is white, black or yellow, he's a disgrace to football and shouldn't be on my television screen.

Lovely, lovely, lovely.

So good I've copied and pasted it on the wall of the day room.

Maybe they did right in emulating our own Mr McGarry who , when confronted with someone "different" on the train kept schtum and said sweet buggerall........(other than whinge like a wimp on a messageboard the next day )

Oh I see it was you on the tram giving off a load of racist crap. Small world eh? i'd have said hello if I'd known it was you.

Next time maybe phil (sic). We'll have so much to discuss.

Edited by Paul McGarry

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.