BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ian Wright- Get This Man Off Our Tv Screens

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night again, we had to listen to Alan Hansen and Ian Wright banging on about England. Granted that they were asked what teams had impressed them so far, Leonardo talked about the Argentines, the Czechs and the Italians, who have played by far the best football of the tournament. Then you have Wright and Hansen rabbiting on about England and how impressive they were in the first half! Then you have Hansen finishing off by saying that "it's all good for the English." What does that mean and on what basis does he think that the first half performance of England come close to the displays of the teams that Leonardo mentioned. God, he must be getting a bit more added to the payslip to be saying things like this. :angry:

For me the thing is that England looked pretty untroubled at the back. The only other team that has done well going forward without having too much difficulty defending are the Czechs.

Last night again, we had to listen to Alan Hansen and Ian Wright banging on about England. Granted that they were asked what teams had impressed them so far, Leonardo talked about the Argentines, the Czechs and the Italians, who have played by far the best football of the tournament. Then you have Wright and Hansen rabbiting on about England and how impressive they were in the first half! Then you have Hansen finishing off by saying that "it's all good for the English." What does that mean and on what basis does he think that the first half performance of England come close to the displays of the teams that Leonardo mentioned. God, he must be getting a bit more added to the payslip to be saying things like this. :angry:

Its quite simple why they keep going on about England, because its the BBC!!! Its being broadcast around Britain.

Get over it mate!

Indeed. Those people who pay the licence fee in NI, Wales and Scotland couldn't give a monkey's about England's chances at the World Cup. Yet, there on their TV screens every night-hype, hype, hype, hysteria, hysteria, hysteria.

Oh and they play at potato throwing in the Republic of Ireland. Not Northern Ireland. :rolleyes:;)

Indeed. Those people who pay the licence fee in NI, Wales and Scotland couldn't give a monkey's about England's chances at the World Cup. Yet, there on their TV screens every night-hype, hype, hype, hysteria, hysteria, hysteria.

Oh and they play at potato throwing in the Republic of Ireland. Not Northern Ireland. :rolleyes:;)

Not our fault, they have Hansen and O'Neill on there to represent the rest of the Isles.

Just get rid of Ian Wright (and Mark Lawrenson whilst they're at it) and that'll improve the BBC coverage no end :)

As soon as England get knocked out in the quarters (as per usual) all the hype will quieten down :lol:

It's because Hansen is Scottish that you'd think that he'd be immune to the usual hysterical hype that goes with England. Maybe he's been living there so long, that he's actually starting to believe it. O'Neill has been good, saying the thing which everyone knows to be true, that England have a decent chance at the World Cup, without getting carried away and ridiculing other teams in comparison to England. Hansen criticised the Germans, who played quite well and scored four goals, but then sees England who scored one goal (an own goal) and played reasonably well in the first half and dire in the second, as being more impressive so far. Now even the most hardened England fan must wonder what he's going on about.

But as you say Eddie, it's not the your fault.

daffodil racing? Hmmmm ... sounds intriguing, tell me more.

If you really want to know about Xenophobic hype, how's this grab you? This actually happened in about 1984 or '85. I was living in Linlithgow at the time and the local evening paper there ran a story about some guy in China who had won some very obscure, (but obviously important to the locals) tournament in a game I had never heard of and would not know how to spell it or pronounce it now. It was presumably considered of great interest to the inhabitants of West Lothian though, for the winner (although Chinese)was stated to have an ancester who originated in Scotland. When I enquired further into this at the time I was told by a colleague that the game was a sort of souped-up version of tiddly winks, and the Chinese place great store on it as a gambling game. I kid you not!! :rolleyes:

daffodil racing? Hmmmm ... sounds intriguing, tell me more.

It’s not all it’s hyped up to be. The Welsh, admittedly not all of them, install 3.0 litre Cosworth racing engines in giant daffodils and race them around the streets of various Welsh back water towns. It’s never well advertised as invariably the daffs and taffs collapse half way round the first lap and the whole thing ends in disaster. It looks good on paper but in reality is a great big bag of @#/?.

Better than bare-backed sheep riding though, eh Bob.

Although I suppose if it keeps would-be boy-racers out of trouble, can't be bad.

If you got hit by a 40 mph daffodil coming out of Cherry Tree Drive you'd probably live to tell the tale, isn't it?

It's because Hansen is Scottish that you'd think that he'd be immune to the usual hysterical hype that goes with England. Maybe he's been living there so long, that he's actually starting to believe it. O'Neill has been good, saying the thing which everyone knows to be true, that England have a decent chance at the World Cup, without getting carried away and ridiculing other teams in comparison to England. Hansen criticised the Germans, who played quite well and scored four goals, but then sees England who scored one goal (an own goal) and played reasonably well in the first half and dire in the second, as being more impressive so far. Now even the most hardened England fan must wonder what he's going on about.

It happens every tournament. Stop acting surprised and get over it!

As for the BBC...it serves the nation, which is 50 million English/5 millions scots and about 4 million Welsh/Northern Irish (I'm guessing there), of course it's going to be overblown, hyped up and Anglocentric! It's what the viewers want to see!

I'll admit that Wright can be a bit annoying in that he seems to know very little about the game outside of what the strikers are up to or if he does he completely fails in getting it across and very rarely says anything of interest. Still, you can't fault his patriotism and support of England, something completely non-existent on TV now in these ultra-PC times. Mark Lawrenson is just a Irish-supporting tit and Martin O'Neill seems to jabber like a demented idiot half the time. Probably the only very good pundit on TV is Alan Hansen.

Wrighty mentioned 'whipping' to the pleasure of Gary at half time of the Argies game :unsure:

I actually thought it was a funny little S&M joke. Leanardo seems to be growing into his role, good choice by the BBC.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.