BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Music Discussion Thread

I'm in utter shock over how good Deicide's new album is. After being past their best for years, and then losing 50% of thier line-up (both guitarists!) in 2004 they've gone and churned out one of the best albums I've heard so far this year. The two new axemen, Ralph Santolla and Jack Owen, have big reputations - relatively speaking - and have really turned the band around with the most inspired playing Deicide have ever had. Hoorah for comically faux-Satanism!

Other news - the mighty WASP are touring soon! I take it Abbey will be getting to one of the shows?

Edited by Radagast

Found a load of Macc Lads gems on Youtube! :tu:

...& even the magnificent (but little known) Eddie Sh1t! :tu: (still have his album) B)

On Radio Kerrang they have a voice over or promo or something, and the guy is actually a Tommy Vance impersonator, the legend lives on. Surely they could get a computer to mimic the gravelly TV delivery, all be it with a Steven Hawkins lilt to it?

Well, thanks to Cocker, I'm listening to Pandora playing Chet Baker, an LP "Polka dots and moonbeams'. Just the thing for a night in with the lady of your life, and some , how should I say it, good food, good wine and great SEX.

Smooth, is the word.

Glad you didn't get into a detailed account of your night, DBirch. :P

These past few weeks i'd just gotten into Love (their first 4 album/original lineup) and have really been grooving out to it, but this past Friday i'd come to learn that Arthur Lee has past away. That on the heels of

Syd Barrett..... it's very sad, gentlemen, two genius' go within a span of 3 weeks.

very sad day.

Why exactly was Syd Barret a genius.

Good question. You probably need to be at least 50 years old to appreciate Syd, and have a decent knowledge of 1960s rock music.

Anyway, have a look

here

Good question. You probably need to be at least 50 years old to appreciate Syd, and have a decent knowledge of 1960s rock music.

Anyway, have a look

here

I own his two solo albums and of course piper at the gates of dawn which is an excellent album, but is that really enough to be labelled a genius.

What fascinates me is how Syd regulary gets the title genius, yet you never here Roger Waters or David Gilmour spoken of in such a manner.

Syd was mad, and that's just it he was genuinely mad, that is, a man with serious mental health issues.Yet Syd is heralded as a loveable madcap, good old Syd the man who poured mandrax on his hair and played a show.

What fascinates me is how Syd regulary gets the title genius, yet you never here Roger Waters or David Gilmour spoken of in such a manner.

But don't forget that Timmy Mallet will be described as a "comic genius" when he pops his clogs.

We all go a bit overboard sometimes.....

Waters & Gilmour will get their acclaim. They'll just have to die first

Why exactly was Syd Barret a genius.

I'd have to ask the same question. Just because he played alternative rock 'music' and went insane doesn't make him Brian Wilson. It was Gilmour's presence that really made Pink Floyd possibly the greatest band ever. His musical and song-writing skills are vastly superior to anything Barret ever cranked out on his mother's washboard

If anyone is interested in Progressive Rock, I've just come across a Polish band called Riverside who are excellent. Lead vocals are very good. Can hear bits of Marillion and Pendragon and I've read they are similar to Porcupine Tree (never knowingly heard any of their stuff) but best of all they have their own identity. Two studio albums to date and if you order from an American distributor via Amazon they can be yours for around £7/8 each including delivery.

Their name's pretty cool also. :brfc:

I'd have to ask the same question. Just because he played alternative rock 'music' and went insane doesn't make him Brian Wilson. It was Gilmour's presence that really made Pink Floyd possibly the greatest band ever. His musical and song-writing skills are vastly superior to anything Barret ever cranked out on his mother's washboard

Please. I'll take anything Roger Waters has done since the split over anything Gilmour has...

Gilmour is a fantastic guitarist, but I am with American on this. Waters songwriting (especially his lyrics) are vastly superior to anything Gilmour has done.

The new Mastodon album's leaked....sounds pretty good on the basis of the first two songs. A band I get the feeling prog rock fans would maybe enjoy if they can get past the vocals (which is a bit of a big ask, they're pretty damn ugly sounding). The drumming really is something to behold.

Watched a documentary film last night on BBC4 about the infamous "free" concert by the Rolling Stones at a speedway track near San Fransisco in 1969.

The security at this gig was done by the Hells Angels & the whole day was marred by violence between the Angels & the crowd. At one point the music stopped as Jefferson Airplane singer was beaten up by some Hells Angels & knocked unconscious.

When the Stones took to the stage, the violence flared again during their first song with several people getting hurt. Hells Angels with clubs & sticks waded into the crowd beating up all & sundry.

The band stopped playing several times, whilst Jagger appealed for calm, but the fights kept breaking out.

Towards the end of the film, a fight scene was shown 'again' but in slow motion, showing a black guy in a green coloured outfit pointing a gun towards the stage area (Stones & Angels were both on stage) the black guy was seen to be violently stabbed by a nearby angel, & apparently took one hell of a beating as well as several stabbings.

The film ended with a shocked looking Mick Jagger being shown the slow-motion replay of the incident.

A very interesting but disturbing documentary, that i`d recommend people watch...given the chance.

The 60s eh? The love generation <_<

Edited by cletus

Cletus... you watched 'gimme shelter' by Albert Maysles. Tremendous movie. Pretty shocking to see
the violence from the stage, that scene when the Jefferson Airplane was on stage was pretty riveting.
Do you recall one scene when the Stones are playing 'Under my Thumb' (favorite tune, by the way), the
camera pans to a Hell's Angel in the middle of some crazy drug trip.... that was WILD.

I've finally gotten my copy of Muswell Hillbillies'.... this on the heels of Village Green Preservation Society
& Arthur, you can see I've jumped head first into the pool of the Kink catalogue. I'm shocked this music
had eluded me before, I'm loving it & my wife has banished it to the ipod because she's tired of hearing
it on the carousel.

You don't have to be 50 to enjoy music created during the best period for Rock, 1965-1975.
Mr. Colin :P (but maybe 40.)

Huge Floyd enthusiast- I guess I throw the genius tag at Syd because of my deep appreciation of the
Piper album, clearly all else that follows is dodgy... but I enjoy them for their crazy warts and all. Althou
I am no fan of the Floyd output since Animals, I can say I prefer the Gilmour half of the act more these days
--if only because Roger seems a right lunatic. (not a good reason, is it?) Anyway, in my little world, it's always 1972 and the Floyd are playing in Pompei and Echoes is fresh & new and DarkSide is but a glean in the eye
of Roger & David.

cheers
Edited by blue/white

As a wee boy I used to marvel at the those naughty Motorhead chaps, in particular Phil(thy) Animal Taylor, and how he could hammer two base drums all the way through 'Overkill', even with medical assistance.

Now I've found this. Mr Fleming, kick off your shoes and turn up the volume.

:)

As a wee boy I used to marvel at the those naughty Motorhead chaps, in particular Phil(thy) Animal Taylor, and how he could hammer two base drums all the way through 'Overkill', even with medical assistance.

Now I've found this. Mr Fleming, kick off your shoes and turn up the volume.

:)

You do realise that's Mikkey Dee playing the solo though, yeah? :) He's such a good drummer.

is George Kollias of Nile in the studio. The scary part is, this isn't a solo, but part of a 'standard' Nile drum beat. Practice really does make perfect I suppose. :o

Watched a documentary film last night on BBC4 about the infamous "free" concert by the Rolling Stones at a speedway track near San Fransisco in 1969.

The security at this gig was done by the Hells Angels & the whole day was marred by violence between the Angels & the crowd. At one point the music stopped as Jefferson Airplane singer was beaten up by some Hells Angels & knocked unconscious.

When the Stones took to the stage, the violence flared again during their first song with several people getting hurt. Hells Angels with clubs & sticks waded into the crowd beating up all & sundry.

The band stopped playing several times, whilst Jagger appealed for calm, but the fights kept breaking out.

Towards the end of the film, a fight scene was shown 'again' but in slow motion, showing a black guy in a green coloured outfit pointing a gun towards the stage area (Stones & Angels were both on stage) the black guy was seen to be violently stabbed by a nearby angel, & apparently took one hell of a beating as well as several stabbings.

The film ended with a shocked looking Mick Jagger being shown the slow-motion replay of the incident.

A very interesting but disturbing documentary, that i`d recommend people watch...given the chance.

The 60s eh? The love generation <_<

my old man was there that fateful day :(

Yep - Radagast is right - that's Mikkey D that AS and a damned fine drummer he is too and no mistake, he still doesn't play Overkill as well as Phil Taylor though. The Animal left Motorhead (for the second time) around about 1991 - since then it's been Mikkey. Phil has since cut hs hair and is world darts champion. Who'd have throught?

Can I recommend Ace of Spades from the Classic Albums DVD series? Very good and very funny in places. Also for a more up to date "live" experience catch the Stage Fright DVD. The 'head also have a new album out at the end of August, I've heard four tracks from it already, the usual quality stuff. They won't / can't / shouldn't change.

Talking of hammering two bass drums, I was never a big fan of Rush, but watching Neil Peart play the drums was awesome.

Try putting Neil Peart into the search engine on Youtube, some excellent drum solo footage on there. :tu:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.