BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Which Ex-rover's Autobiography Would You Like To Read?

The current glut of World Cup players releasing their autobiographies started me thinking about which ex-Rovers I'd like to do the same.

I think Matt Jansen's would be interesting. He's was at Ewood for a good few years, saw a number of managerial changes, got promotion, won a cup, then almost killed himself in a bike accident. His own account of his recovery would be fascinating.

Tim Sherwood's would be good as well. He was one of the few players who was around when we originally got promotion to the Premier League and was still playing for us when we won it.

Edited by Scotty

Henning Berg's would make for interesting reading - not just for his relationship with Souey, but a player to have won the league, gone on to 'better' things and then came back to see us rise from First Division to sixth in the Prem would surely have a thing or two to say.

Edited by Radagast

Mike Newell's should be interesting...if he actually said about the reasons behind losing his job at Hartlepool despite them just being promoted, albeit that was almost all down to their former manager. When reasons were suggested on a Hartlepool messageboard I believe he threatened legal action so I won't bring any of them up on here!

Added to that...there was a heavily publicised account of a time when Neil Ruddock started a fight with him in a restaurant...was what that all about eh?

I'm sure he'd also have many stories that would show the lie to Shearer's drab 'Mary Poppins' image.

Shearer's would no doubt be just as dull and unrevealing as his own interviews are.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Shearer's would no doubt be just as dull and unrevealing as his own interviews are.

Shearer the player maybe but now he has no one to answer to he seems to just say what he thinks - He was the best pundit at the world cup if you ask me. I would buy a copy of his book if he had one.

Cookiemonster Posted Yesterday, 21:41

Flitcroft may have a few stories about the rovers as well as his personal life

I would agree with this. He was at Rovers for such a long time that he would have some good tales to tell about the boys

Timmy Posted Yesterday, 22:42

Peter Enckelman

I would love to find out what he does all day....plus it should be a weighty tomb since he's got plenty of spare time to write it-what with no 1st team action to interupt his flow of writing

I hope that is a joke ;) We have been really lucky that Brad hasnt been injured however, if he had then we would have good cover in Enks and I have nothing but thanks for him staying with us. He could be first choice in most teams.

On saying this though, I wouldnt buy his life story :P

Edited by Cocker

Good topic. Personally, I think it would have to be Hendry, as he first at the club when we had nothing, only to return when we were just about to hit the big time and was a rock in the title winning team. I know Simon Garner touches on this aspect of Rover's life in his autobiography, but in fairness to him he didnt feature a great deal when Dalglish took over.

I would also like to find the true reason why Hendry left for Rangers in '98.........

Shearer the player maybe but now he has no one to answer to he seems to just say what he thinks - He was the best pundit at the world cup if you ask me. I would buy a copy of his book if he had one.

Fair enough...I haven't seen him much as a pundit being outside BBC territory. It was his after-game interviews I was recalling. Some of his anecdotes would no doubt be interesting if he was willing to tell them. "So I decked Gillespie and then..." would be part of an interesting recollection of his no doubt, as would 'Bellers and me - a Toon Love Story'.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Got to be Dave Whelan Scotty. He's about the only one (apart from Tim Sherwood possibly) to have made more money and more of himself (other than retiring to semi-detached suburbian window cleaning or running a pub) after retiring than before.

Failing that did we have any ex players who saw much active service in either war? They will usually have tales to tell.

Edited by thenodrog

Bryan Douglas's.

That just makes two of us then. Better tell Duggie not to bother his self. I suspect that it would contain more truths than most other players biographies.

Edited by Ianrally

BTW hasn't Henning Berg done an auto-biog?

It's a biography by Joachim Forsund rather than an autobiography. Quite good, as opposed to brilliant, especially the Souness chapter which unfortunately only runs to five pages. Clear that they didn't get on (understatement) but not as much vitriol as you would have thought.

Only in Norwegian as yet. :brfc:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.