SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 1 Everton 1

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hawaii

you were obviously not at Portsmouth or at Ewood last night then.

Gray was awful at fratton park and only a fraction better last night.

I was at Ewood last night, so my old friend get your facts right. I was also at Fratten park and he didn't have the best of games, but neither did anyone else. He played alright last night. I wouldn't say good but not bad

Hawaii

maybe we see different types of games

gray was simply awful with his tackling, his passing and his heading. he was caught out of position several times - remember we had to rely on brad to stop a certain goal by johnson.

he has lost his pace compared to last season.

at portsmouth he was the worst player on show by a mile.

He is most definately Rovers weakest link.

If however, he responds to the crticism by scoring a 50 yard winner on Sunday I will write to him and apologise, but, for now, I stick to my views that he is not playing well at all and needs to uprate his performance by at least 400%.

oh, and by the way, if he manages to score a 50yarder, I will bare my ar#e to the JW Upper ;)

Hawaii

gray was simply awful with his tackling, his passing and his heading. he was caught out of position several times - remember we had to rely on brad to stop a certain goal by johnson.

If however, he responds to the crticism by scoring a 50 yard winner on Sunday I will write to him and apologise, but, for now, I stick to my views that he is not playing well at all and needs to uprate his performance by at least 400%.

oh, and by the way, if he manages to score a 50yarder, I will bare my ar#e to the JW Upper ;)

He is a big liability at times, but when on form he is great. Who else would you play there? I dont think taylor is ready yet and Mceveley aint turned out to be the player we hoped for

Reid and Savage as a pairing, judging by last night, were happy enough to protect the back four and do all the so called gritty work. What that does is place the onus on Bentley and Pedersen to provide the creativity. Bentley did that to some effect 1st half but disappeared in the 2nd half. As for Morten, well, the posters who said he was AWOL certainly have a point.

Gray was caught out a few times and I thought Emerton did well, though marking Kilbane is not the hardest of tasks!

Think benni and roberts will score goals, they looked okay but obviously need the service-all rise Morten/Bentley/new creative midfielder.

Thought draw was fair enough, we were better than them first half and after we scored sat back and though they did not look threatening you know with our defence at the minute we need 2 goals to win as a clean sheet looks unlikely.

Once Nelsen and young Andre start coming into the fold and hopefully a couple of new signings I think we will be just fine! All fingers crossed! ;)

Reid and Savage as a pairing, judging by last night, were happy enough to protect the back four and do all the so called gritty work. What that does is place the onus on Bentley and Pedersen to provide the creativity. Bentley did that to some effect 1st half but disappeared in the 2nd half. As for Morten, well, the posters who said he was AWOL certainly have a point.

Gray was caught out a few times and I thought Emerton did well, though marking Kilbane is not the hardest of tasks!

Think benni and roberts will score goals, they looked okay but obviously need the service-all rise Morten/Bentley/new creative midfielder.

Thought draw was fair enough, we were better than them first half and after we scored sat back and though they did not look threatening you know with our defence at the minute we need 2 goals to win as a clean sheet looks unlikely.

Once Nelsen and young Andre start coming into the fold and hopefully a couple of new signings I think we will be just fine! All fingers crossed! ;)

That Andre Oiijer isn't that young he's 32

Well judging by the great disparity amongst the posts on here we all see the game completely differently. I only have the DVD of the Footie First version to go by, but I find your version Robertson to coincide almost exactly with my own.

I would just like to make a few observations that nobody else seems to have elaborated on.

Firstly I feel that though this game was a huge improvement on the performance at Pompey, I still got the feeling throughout the game that Rovers were not playing with the same high tempo short passing style that made them so effective last season. It is as though they have lost confidence somehow and this seems to stem from a lack of confidence in defence and lack of creativity in midfield.

Bert had a very good game, much more effective as RB, whilst Gray apart from a few lapses did fairly well.

Zurab also played well, but for me Todd is struggling for pace and keeps making rash tackles and pushes on people, which a lot of refs would have been much harder on than Mr. Rennie was.

Bentley had a good game for the most part and I was surprised and disappointed when he was subbed. Nobody has mentioned so far the brilliant backheel pass that gave Benni his goal. And he was certainly quite effective as an AMF especially in the first half.

The two subs we made did not contribute anything of any note, whilst the two that Everton made were the turning point for them, and made them much more effective in the attacking sense. Our two had the opposite effect.

Everton should have had two penalties. The first was when Reid pushed Johnson to the ground, and the second when Brad pulled the boy back as he was about to roll the ball into the net just seconds before they scored anyway.

But overall a much improved show, although I am dreading the Chelski game. Todd must not play in that one and unless Gamst wakes himself up, he should not play either. Let Peter have a game.

Edited by Fife Rover

Probably because everyone else can probably spot a country mile off that Reid was being asked to do a job in midfield whilst clearly not fully fit. Still good to see you're showing your usual "objectivity" as well regarding Reid.

It just highlights of lack of strength in central midfield. One suspension and Reid has to soldier on nursing an injury.

:D:D:D

Love it. Reid has a bad game but it's not his fault, he's not fully fit apparently. Had Neill done the same I'm sure you would have been equally sympathetic. And please, stop trying to make out I've got something against Reid. I've said a thousand times I think he's a good player, just not as good as you think he is.

The bottom line is that Reid was poor yesterday and that's all I said. Unfortunately, because he's your favourite, you can't accept that.

:D:D:D

Love it. Reid has a bad game but it's not his fault, he's not fully fit apparently. Had Neill done the same I'm sure you would have been equally sympathetic. And please, stop trying to make out I've got something against Reid. I've said a thousand times I think he's a good player, just not as good as you think he is.

The bottom line is that Reid was poor yesterday and that's all I said. Unfortunately, because he's your favourite, you can't accept that.

If Reid is carrying an injury - which seems to be fairly self evident - then it will effect his game. His best times at Rovers have been when he is injury free. His game isn't about finess, passing or great dribbling ability - but his fitness, physical presence, will to win, pace and a general competence in most facets of the game (i.e. fair header, not bad passer etc). Not fully fit - and he loses much of what makes him such an effective player - IMO potentially one of the most effective midfield players outside the top 4

Bentley had a good game for the most part and I was surprised and disappointed when he was subbed. Nobody has mentioned so far the brilliant backheel pass that gave Benni his goal. And he was certainly quite effective as an AMF especially in the first half.

Umm, didn't it hit the defender and bounce back to benni?

If Reid's carrying an injury he shouldn't be playing. Mokoena or Douglas could have been more effective than Reid was last night.

Have you ever considered that maybe he just had a bad game? It happens to the best of them you know.

It hit the defender, I'm sorry to say. It DID look like a fantastic backheel at first :) Oh, well. Good finish. Signs that Benni and Jason still have to gel, but also signs that when they do it will be a great combination.

the first choice centre halves must be ooijer and nelsen.

??? How can you say that? You seen Ooijer play much have you Sam?

Some of the comments on here are amazing.

Amazingly stupid I hope you mean. Daft no-nowt sods taking the p1ss out of our defenders / midfielders but just how many direct saves did Brad have to make? Thats down to the defence isn't it? We squandered more good chances than Everton but very few are criticising the strikers are they? Silly silly know f'alls do my head in.

Edited by thenodrog

Have to say that the arguements over Reid seem a little silly. As far as I'm concerned, if Reid were carrying an injury that could hamper how he played when we had Bentley and maybe Mokoena that could play in the centre, then Sparky would have the sense to not play him. Furthermore, if he was obviously being hampered during the game by an injury, why did Hughes bring Bentley off as opposed to Ried? In fact, why did he leave Reid on the full 90 minutes?

In regards to Todd, I thought he had a good game up until the Everton goal where he made a horrendous misjudgement of the flight of the ball and the position of McFadden that no centre half should ever make. By all accounts, he did not play well at Pompey either. Don't get me wrong, I like Todd a lot, but nobody that is underperforming, two time player of the year and captain or not, should be beyond dropping. If Zura remains fit and Ooijer is half the player he is billed to be, then that should be our central partnership for Chelsea.

Theno, Ooijer is first choice centre back for Holland and PSV where he is also captain. I'd say that is enough to base an argeument that he must be in our starting line up.

Edited by tcj_jones

Yeah so what does that mean? Kuqi is 1st choice striker for Finland, Mokoena was 1st choice ch for SA, Neill CH for Australia, Sav was automatic for wales, Reid is capt and 1st choice for RoI. Yet they have all had criticism on here today.

Higher up the scale perhaps but Hargreaves 1st choice for Germany / Crouch for Lpool but they have both had serious sh1t from our resident 'experts' during the WC. Ooijer sounds a good player but I take nothing for granted till I've seen them.

Edited by thenodrog

??? How can you say that? You seen Ooijer play much have you Sam?

Amazingly stupid I hope you mean. Daft no-nowt sods taking the p1ss out of our defenders / midfielders but just how many direct saves did Brad have to make? Thats down to the defence isn't it? We squandered more good chances than Everton but very few are criticising the strikers are they? Silly silly know f'alls do my head in.

I woke up with a headache too, drog, but your comments made me smile!

Good points!

Yeah so what does that mean? Kuqi is 1st choice striker for Finland, Mokoena was 1st choice ch for SA, Neill CH for Australia, Sav was automatic for wales, Reid is capt and 1st choice for RoI. Yet they have all had criticism on here today.

Ridiculous to compare some of those national teams to Holland, though. The Aussies were the only ones to make it to the finals.

Crikey I forgot my trump card......... BERT! How many think he should be automatic 1st choice winger? Yet he played in the WC finals for a good team and is prob an automatic choice too. I've no doubt Ooijer's a gud un but I'll make my own judgements when I see him play.

btw anyone rem Corrado Grabbi? Leading scorer in Seria B and Souness bought him without seeing him play didn't he? <_<

Hawaii

I have to disagree here 1864 - I think its quite obvious that Gray is having to do the job of at least two players as MGP has been absolutely woeful in the last two games (carried over from the end of last season).

To me there was only Gray with any attacking thought in his play the other night, fair enough he got caught a couple of time but that was more down to our negative approach as I saw it and our lack of movement all over the pitch.

It makes interesting reading that there are different players getting singled out by different people for praise and criticism which I can only see as being what I have been prattling on about - - we are not playing well at the moment and don't IMO appear to be playing as a unit and the posts on various threads which would appear to back up this opinion.

What I do know, is that in the two games thus far - we have made too many mistakes, gifted the opposition goals, looked unfit and cohesion amongst the players appears to be non existent.

Edited by CAPT KAYOS

then Sparky would have the sense to not play him. Furthermore, if he was obviously being hampered during the game by an injury, why did Hughes bring Bentley off as opposed to Ried? In fact, why did he leave Reid on the full 90 minutes?

I like Todd a lot, but nobody that is underperforming, two time player of the year and captain or not, should be beyond dropping.

Arguable that TCJ ... Reid doesn't look fit to me either (certainly wasn't Saturday as you could see from the grimaces on his face and in his running ... unless he had bad wind :P )

I like Todd also but he is worrying me now as he appears to have caught the Neil disease of 10min lack of concentration and totally agree about the dropping of players underperforming.

Could be worse for the moaners on here ....... they could be supporting Spurs. Everton's just beaten the fancy dans from WHL 0-2. Kinda puts them only getting 2 chances ALL THE GAME against our cobbled together defence into perspective.

Funny old game eh?

It is thenodrog and it would be good if everyone took a step back and saw that Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool have all dropped points at the start of the season. Unless the Premiership is turning on its head then there is no reason to worry too much about the fact that we might not have picked up as many points as we would have liked from the first 5 games.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.