BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 1 Everton 1

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although it was better than Saturdays debacle , personally I still can't see how people are accepting last nights performance, maybe its because they didn't see the game Saturday but last night was not agreat improvement and I'm disappointed in Sparky.

We should have been at it all guns blazes after Saturday- but yet again we miss chances, look overly laborius bringing the ball from midfield and yet again gift a goal to the opposition ( how many times have I said how other teams always find it easy to score against us whwere we have to work hard to score!! :angry: )

Sorry, but to me we did not do enough and I expect more from our midfielders (sorry you Savage lovers) and although Mccarthy looked good in patches I expect more from both of them and am yet to be convinced.

Maybe a bit critical but I think its warranted - can't see us getting anything against the Rent boys luckily I won't be there due to other obligations and may see it in a different light, probably what I need and we are only two games in.

Edited by CAPT KAYOS

Gate was 22,000 – they had about 5000 there so id make that more like 17,000 home fans

I think that is glass half full Hughesy. Everton had the darwen End, capacity 8000, and I think it's 5000 in the lower and 3000 in the upper. The lower was full as was half the upper = 6500 or thereabouts.

I think a draw was a fair result.... How bad was Gray? LOL. He was too busy surging forward or cutting inside, which meant MGP had to track back and Zurab was dragged wide to chase Johnson, who incidentally is twice as fast as him. I'd play Andy Taylor at left back - he cant be any slower than Gray and has progressed from youth team, played in every England youth team up to under 20's and maybe its time he got his chance. McEveley has had his chance at left back and wasn’t good enough. To be fair though, he's a centre half by trade.

Everton should definitely have had a penalty. Why did Todd hold Johnson back?? He could have a.) either let it run out or b.) kicked it out of play. Todd's never been right since he had the bust up at Birmingham when Hughes brought him off.

I think Rennie has got off very lightly on here so far but for me he ruins every game he refs for his constant stopping pf play and failing to play advantage as we saw in the second half when Rovers had a great attack on the right and he blew up.The penalty decision seemed dubious and only adds to players frustration.The game was at best average but I looked the look of the front 2. Emerton did well but he is not strong defensively and would not replace Neill in my team.Pedersen is worth his place as he is capable of creating or scoring goals and you dont leave a player like that out of your side. How Savage can get stick on here is amazing. He is the heartbeat of the side and breaks up so many opposition moves with his endeavour.

The gate was worrying but I believe it was about the same as last year?Maybe holidays kept a few away.

Although it was better than Saturdays debacle , personally I still can't see how people are accepting last nights performance, maybe its because they didn't see the game Saturday but last night was not agreat improvement and I'm disappointed in Sparky.

We should have been at it all guns blazes after Saturday- but yet again we miss chances, look overly laborius bringing the ball from midfield and yet again gift a goal to the opposition ( how many times have I said how other teams always find it easy to score against us whwere we have to work hard to score!! :angry: )

Sorry, but to me we did not do enough and I expect more from our midfielders (sorry you Savage lovers) and although Mccarthy looked good in patches I expect more from both of them and am yet to be convinced.

Maybe a bit critical but I think its warranted - can't see us getting anything against the Rent boys luckily I won't be there due to other obligations and may see it in a different light, probably what I need and we are only two games in.

The 60 mins I saw werent too pleasing on the eye either...I was quite suprised that hughes was so happy after the game. What is evident is that despite having the Lions share of possession, we seemed to do nothing creative with it other than playing either sideways balls or long ones.

I thought we looked pretty decent. It is still early and only United have taken full points from their first two games, though Newcastle could join them. What could have been a good start will probably produce 1 point from 3 games, but we will always have a poor patch at some point, we just have to pick things up so that this is a poor patch rather than the season norm.

i thought we played very well and never looked in trouble for 75 minutes. then, inexplicably, we defended too deep, the midfield and defence played as a back 8 and an everton equaliser was inevitable. with a bit more luck we'dve held out, but we never seem to get that.

GOOD

Roberts - approach work was excellent. he'll score goals when he settles in. he's pacey and brilliant at holding the ball up. we are now able to play more direct football and be confident the ball will stay upfront.

mCcarthey is a very clever technical player and influenced the game and caused problems by dropping slightly deeper. scored a fantastic goal, made a difficult finish look easy.

emerton had his best game for years. regardless of whether he wants to play there, i think RB could be his best position.

zurab was very solid. he's great in possession and, although he can overplay at times, he is an infinetely better CB than lucas.

POOR

todd ,by his own high standards, put in a poor display. he was at fault for cahill's goal- should never have let the ball bounce, gave away needless freekicks late on and he struggled with the pace of johnson (shouldve had a pen).

reid (he's not fully fit) and sav were ok defensively, but offered next to nothing in an attacking sense.

bentley started the game well, but faded. same old problem with lack of creativity from the midfield area. i'd be very suprised if this wasnt address before the tfr window shuts.

pedersen was anonymous.

mickey gray had a poor game.

having said everthing, i think it's important to take the positives from the display and if the creativity in midfield is addressed, we'll be a much better attacking side than we were last season.

Dont think Reid was poor - think he did alright and looked strong in the 1st half, however he is obviously lacking a little bit of sharpness.

Hughes has singled out Emerton for praise on the official site.

And ticket details have been released for the Man City game - Category A

Did anyone else notice that Pederson got two yellows :o

Last nights result was down to Todd's ineptitude at this level. He is too slow and not level headed enough to deal with the game. How we didnt have a penalty awared against us after his pathetic challenge in the box on Johnson I will never know. Soory , but Hughes must resign Todd to the bench in the next game and put Oojier straight in.

Fully agree with you Hughesy - compare Emertons performance last night to that of Lucas at Pompey - different class. I for one, will be very dissapointed if Hughes brings Neil back in for Emerton after the way he played last night.

Leave Emerton at RB and bring in Lucas to replace the hapless Gray at LB

I think a draw was a fair result.... How bad was Gray? LOL. He was too busy surging forward or cutting inside, which meant MGP had to track back and Zurab was dragged wide to chase Johnson, who incidentally is twice as fast as him. I'd play Andy Taylor at left back - he cant be any slower than Gray and has progressed from youth team, played in every England youth team up to under 20's and maybe its time he got his chance. McEveley has had his chance at left back and wasn’t good enough. To be fair though, he's a centre half by trade.

Everton should definitely have had a penalty. Why did Todd hold Johnson back?? He could have a.) either let it run out or b.) kicked it out of play. Todd's never been right since he had the bust up at Birmingham when Hughes brought him off.

You nicked my signature, get your own :angry:

andy todd is a liability. hughes has to make the difficult decision of taking the captaincy off him sooner rather than later.

the first choice centre halves must be ooijer and nelsen.

main plus I took from last nites game was the touches of McCarthy - first time I have seen him play other than in highlights. Once he has adjusted further and settles in with Roberts we should have a good partnership up there :)

We're carrying on where we left off last season. We are not playing together as a team. I've seen more movement in a fitted carpet.

Everton are the usual Moyes team; all running and playing together and wanting the ball.

Rovers are slow at getting forward, they do not support each other. Often when we have possession we are forced back into our own half. Then the ball goes back to Friedal who has to hoof it upfield, because there is no-one competant to throw it to, and we lose possession again.

The second ball is usually won by the opposition.

Re individuals; Todd and Zurab played well. Emerton had a very good game at right back. Gray was awful, losing possession regularly. Reid was holding midfielder and therefore didn't get forward enough.

Savage is the problem. The man is totally useless as a footballer. He cannot tackle, control the ball,create anything. He would be the first for me to drop, putting Reid in his place and bringing Mokoena in.

Bentley on the right and Pedersen on the left were ineffective.

Roberts was fouled and beaten in the air most of the time by Yobo but Rennie the ref ignored it all.

We'll lose to Chelsea 3-0 and then away at Sheff Utd we'll get kicked off the park and lose 2-1

Played four.......1 point and bottom 3 :-(

We're carrying on where we left off last season. We are not playing together as a team. I've seen more movement in a fitted carpet.

Everton are the usual Moyes team; all running and playing together and wanting the ball.

Rovers are slow at getting forward, they do not support each other. Often when we have possession we are forced back into our own half. Then the ball goes back to Friedal who has to hoof it upfield, because there is no-one competant to throw it to, and we lose possession again.

The second ball is usually won by the opposition.

Re individuals; Todd and Zurab played well. Emerton had a very good game at right back. Gray was awful, losing possession regularly. Reid was holding midfielder and therefore didn't get forward enough.

Savage is the problem. The man is totally useless as a footballer. He cannot tackle, control the ball,create anything. He would be the first for me to drop, putting Reid in his place and bringing Mokoena in.

Bentley on the right and Pedersen on the left were ineffective.

Roberts was fouled and beaten in the air most of the time by Yobo but Rennie the ref ignored it all.

We'll lose to Chelsea 3-0 and then away at Sheff Utd we'll get kicked off the park and lose 2-1

Played four.......1 point and bottom 3 :-(

Did you watch the same game? :blink:

Did you watch the same game? :blink:

Yes.These are my opinions which I'm entitled to. It's not the result that makes me dispondent. It was the inept team performance.

Edited by bazza

Yes.These are my opinions which I'm entitled to. It's not the result that makes me dispondent. It was the inept team performance.

I'm not saying you can't have your own opinion, but i didn't see savage perform as badly as you say, neither did bentley

I'm not saying you can't have your own opinion, but i didn't see savage perform as badly as you say, neither did bentley

My main concern is that we do not appear to "play for each other" as most other teams do.

E.g. watch Man Utd when they get a free kick towards the opponents' pen area. Players are running all over the place. Rovers players seem to just stand there wondering where the ball will go to.

Look at how many Everton players were pouring forward when they scored their equaliser; all hungry to get a crack. When Rovers have the ball they seem to stand admiring their colleague instead of helping him and moving.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.