BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] How Do You Think Rovers Did In The Transfer Market Forum

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we made a fatal error not signing a single midfielder. It could cost us even more than it probably has already down the line.

Certainly but as has been stated by Hughes and Williams many times if we cannot improve on what we have got then we will not just sign squad players just to give stupid wages simply to warm the bench. We tried and failed with Petrov so that was unlucky and we've just got to get on with things.

They just summed it well on Sky Sports - look at our summer signings. Who have we brought in who has the required quality??

McCarthy maybe....

They have changed their tune - wasn't so long ago that one of their commentators was saying what a good signing Roberts was. Dutch World Cup centre half can't be that bad either.

For me Sky talk absolute c**p based on little knowledge of our club - did they mention how many sought after players we managed to retain - Reid MGP, Nelsen, Neill etc ? I doubt it - unfortunately they just wait for an opportunity to put the boot in.

Certainly but as has been stated by Hughes and Williams many times if we cannot improve on what we have got then we will not just sign squad players just to give stupid wages simply to warm the bench.

Jeffers, Nonda, Henchoz..... :blink:

The fact is that we can't afford signing quality players, therefore we need to take a hughe gamble on almost all the players we do sign. The statement by Hughes and Williams is laughable when you sum up our transfer activity this summer.

They aren't bench warmers they are player replacements. Do you not prefer Jeffers, Roberts, Macarthy, Nonda, Henchoz to Kuqi, Dickov, Johnson, Gresko and Amoruso? :rolleyes:

Call them what you like, they are squadplayers at best. Why do you include Roberts and McCarthy? They where bought in to be apart of the starting XI.

Another point, did we really need to replace players who didn't play at all (amoruso, johnson, gresko)?! :blink:

Edited by krislu

Call them what you like, they are squadplayers at best. Why do you include Roberts and McCarthy? They where bought in to be apart of the starting XI.

Another point, did we really need to replace players who didn't play at all (amoruso, johnson, gresko)?! :blink:

you just sound like your in a very negative frame of mind, i thnk if we win next two we would be probably top 8

there is a fine line between top 6 and bottom 6, i am not sure where we are now.

Personally i think we had a pretty normal transfer day, bringing in a bit more strength here and there, replacing leavers with better (with the possible exception of bellamy) however the problem we face is that other teams have made much stronger signings than we have which i think will make life difficult for us over the course of the season.

Anybody watch the Villa game yesterday? I've never watched him that much before and I thought that 6.5 million was a hell of a lot for Petrov, but man the guys class...how we could do with him here.

I have been trying to tell you lot just that for months, ever since he became available, but very few of you took any notice at all and a few even advocated the much worse alternative of Malbranque. The trouble with a lot of you is that you have a completely false and unjustifiable view of Scottish football. I had it too when I moved up to Scotland in 1979. I soon learnt to modify my viewpoint from regular weekly attendance at games.

Edited by Fife Rover

I have been trying to tell you lot just that for months, ever since he became available, but very few of you took any notice at all and a few even advocated the much worse alternative of Malbranque. The trouble with a lot of you is that you have a completely false and unjustifiable view of Scottish football. I had it too when I moved up to Scotland in 1979. I soon learnt to modify my viewpoint from regular weekly attendance at games.

Well, Fife, I apologise on behalf of some of the messageboard members for them not signing Petrov. Their dismissive attitude may well have cost us Europe this season!

I wanted Petrov, and was heartily annoyed when he nearly signed for Portsmouth, and then did sign for Villa. He would have been great, as his running would have linked the midfield to the strikers.

P.S. Scottish football is terrible though. It's like watching Hull vs. Burnley most of the time.

I wanted Petrov, and was heartily annoyed when he nearly signed for Portsmouth, and then did sign for Villa. He would have been great, as his running would have linked the midfield to the strikers.

P.S. Scottish football is terrible though. It's like watching Hull vs. Burnley most of the time.

I was just about to reply "that's a bit harsh Billy" but on reflection I will change it to " that's a LOT harsh Billy". ;)

Seriously, I quite enjoy watching SPL footie with DAFC. I have been a supporter of them since 1980-81 season and had a season ticket most of the time. It is probably not as skilfull as the EPL overall, but it is every bit as exciting and generally higher tempo. I have also enjoyed my visits in days gone by to exotic places like Cowdenbeath with its grass bank terracing and one small corrugated tin shed for a stand. Players changing facilities in a mobile home behind the stand and showers/ bath facilities across the road at the public swimming baths. Similar at East Stirling and Stenhousemuir, but always great to go to these grounds with DAFC massive support (7 or 8 D/Decker buses provided by the club) Fantastic atmosphere. Ah! those were the days. Not like that now. Average home crowd 4 or 5k, no atmosphere at all, and when either of the old firm come I stay at home. Cannot STAND the ignorant bigotted chanting by their "fans"and the intimidation of the home support. They take over the whole ground and God help you if dare to open your mouth in support of DAFC.

The atmosphere may have been good, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that*, but the standard of play?. Sure the tempo is high, but that does not mean it's good. It's a high tempo game at Bedford Town most weeks, but that's not to say the games have that something that makes them special like the Liverpool vs. Newcastle game that ended 4-3, or the Czech Republic vs. Holland game in Euro 2004. It's just a load of busy bodies running around nowadays, like the 1st division in England.

*=I can't say whether or not the old style grounds in Britain have more or less atmosphere. The only pre-Taylor Report game I went to was Hull vs. Newcastle in 1987. I seem to remember Mick Quinn scoring a hat-trick as Newcastle won 3-1.

I'm generally satisfied with our transfer signings covering areas we lack last season. Some really good value buys I feel in McCarthy,Roberts and loanee Nonda although they haven't perform to my expectations yet.

Still settling in would say, only time will tell with more games coming up. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.