BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] How Do You Think Rovers Did In The Transfer Market Forum

However, bringing in Ooijer instead of a central midfielder will turn out to be a mistake.

I somehow doubt that Hughes brought in a defender 'instead' of a central midfielder. He may have planned to buy a defender, or indeed Ooijer, all along. Like I said before, I think maybe it was a case of there not being the right player available, rather than not choosing to sign a player in that position.

I think we all know (including Mark Hughes) what we need to add to our squad.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Elmander has been one of the absolute top players in the danish league for a couple of years. He now seems on his way to be partnering Zlatan up front for sweden. Anyone playing footy man a few years back will know him. He played for Feyenoord and was amazing...

I actually thought about him this summer as it was apparant that he'd leave Denmark but I came to the conclusion he woulndt be good for Rovers - not a good finisher and rather expensive. Hughes thought otherwise it appears....=)

In my opinion... the guy cant finish to save his life. Really good at getting into positions, but he just cant tuck em away. On the other hand he is good at playing behind either two or one striker. Also does rather well on the wing. So in that respect he fits the bill perfectly - hughes seems to by utility men at the moment doesnt he...

anyway. He is now in france so never mind=)

just bugs me he turned us down!

It's difficult to say how well we did as I was hoping for really big things (three or four top quality signings and keeping everyone we wanted to) but a healthy dose of reality has kicked in. All the stories and speculation the climaxes (both positive and negative) surrounding comings and goings has seen the ball game shift so many times it's hard to see where we started out. Even so my oppinion when considered in light of everything:

Getting rid of deadwood:

Excellent, 10/10. A bit harsh calling Kuqi deadwood but he was what 5th/6th in line and getting 2.5 million for him was excellent business. Getting rid of Douglas was also good. Pity we couldn't shift Matteo, but overall fairly happy.

Keeping players:

Big blow loosing Bellers, but for now Nelsen, Pedersen and Neill three of our top players have remained put - so all in all we only lost one key player. What a player mind, but a small club like us is always going to loose top players at some point. The trick is not letting them go at the same time which Hughes has managed to do.

Strengthening Defence

I thought we needed a left back, and had already 3 quality centre backs so why we brought Ooijer is a bit of a mystery. However if either Zurab or Ooijer can play right back (although Emo would keep them out at the mo) thus freeing Neill for left back it isn't a bad move. Nevertheless I'd have prefered a top class left back in instead.

Strengthening Midfield:

Needed at least 2 players a centre mid and a wide mid - didn't get either. V. disappointed.

Strengthening Up Front:

Despite loosing Bellamy I really think that we've strengthened up front. McCarthy looks class, the very new chap has a good track record and Roberts is a better version than Kuqi of the physical striker. All in all we've much more options up front. Not sure in the point in Jeffers though but the contract terms seem ok.

Overall when analysing it, ti seems in a long winded way that Rovers have done pretty well out of it. The only black mark can be that the midfield needed a couple of extra bodies, which is a big ommision but in the grand scheme of things we certainly look a leaner and better squad than last season.

I think we made a big mistake in not getting rid of Neill and i hope we dont live to regret it. We could have got maybe £3m for him and offloaded a unhappy player with just 1 yr of his contract left. Instead, we are gonna keep him, his value will go down and i think his performances will cost us points.

Last year he was superb, but this yr, knowing hes gonna leave, the fact hes never had 2 good years in a row and his general lack of discipline makes me nervous this year. Cant help think we shoulda cashed in for him when the going was good after his world cup! :rover: Hopefully Brett now has the right back slot his own!

Elmander has been one of the absolute top players in the danish league for a couple of years. He now seems on his way to be partnering Zlatan up front for sweden. Anyone playing footy man a few years back will know him. He played for Feyenoord and was amazing...

just bugs me he turned us down!

Maybe he brought his missus to Blackburn on a Saturday shopping trip to see how she liked the town? :o:lol:

In terms of strengthening the first eleven and squad for a joint assault on Europpe and attempting to maintain last season's League position it's been extremely disappointing whilst those around us have strengthened.

However, given the fact he seemingly has been given no money to spend, the manager has done extremely well.

The real problem might be central midfield where one injury and one suspension could cause havoc.

On the other hand if reports of a 4m pre Bellamy warchest were correct (hmmm.....seems very unlikely now) then we would have 6m available to spend in January following Kuqi's sale should we need it.

I really can't understand this widespread and almost hysterical mob handed cry of "get rid of Matteo".

With our present situation for cover at LB who else have we got if Gray is unavailable? OK, we can use Neil there and he is at least as good or better than Gray. but for how long and does he really want to be here?

I would rather have a fully committed and happy player than any "want away" mercenary no matter how good he is.

Matteo can play LB better than McEverley and has certain attributes in the position that Gray does not have; namely he is a better defender, but no use going forward. On the other hand Gray is good going forward but does not always get back to defend quickly enough. Each of them has their good and bad points. I would agree that Gray is the better overall choice, but Matteo is IMO a very useful fall-back choice if Gray is not available. He certainly has the experience and can do the job defensively.

Why the unholy rush to get rid of a useful cover player before we have found an adequate replacement?

Disappointed with rovers deals this summer. Too many gambles - Ooijer, Jeffers and Henchoz. Even McCarthy to an extent.

We needed to build on last seasons squad with 2/3 real quality players. Can't see that we have done that.

I really can't understand this widespread and almost hysterical mob handed cry of "get rid of Matteo".

I think the problem with Matteo is that he is on quite high wages and is not anywhere near the first team. I think Souness brought him in initially to play in midfield as he had been playing there for Leeds, with the thought that he would also be useful as he could play centre half and left back as well.

The problem is that he hasn't didn't do well enough in midfield and I think he has looked a liability at centre half and I'm sure Mokoena would be in the side ahead of him if we had a lot of central defenders missing through injury.

Left back seems to be his best position and to be honest was not exciting, but seemed to be doing a steady relaible job there. Unfortunately for him he lost his place through injury and that gave Gray a chance to stake a claim. Gray did perhaps surprisingly well and Matteo hasn't been able to get his place back.

I suspect now though with Emerton at right back, Neill is now first choice left back, pushing Matteo down to third choice. If we lose Neill in January without getting a new left back (eg Warnock) then we could find that we need Matteo again.

Perhaps the best option for both Matteo and Rovers is that we let him go on loan to a Championship club until January - that we he gets to play in meaningful games, which will help with his form and fitness and Rovers get a contribution towards his wages.

I think Hughes has gone on striker overload to a small extent. Benni, Jeffers, Roberts, Nonda, Gally, Derbyshire (do we still have him?), Bentley (capable of playing as a second frontman). Seems a large number of players competing for the same position compared to the number of central midfielders we have, particularly playmakers. I don't know whether a midfield playmaker was deemed unnecessary or overlooked or maybe we weren't in the situation to land any of our targets but I am certain we are desperately short of one.

It has been good seeing us hold on to most of our players though (besides Bellamy of course) and if Neill does sign a new contract then that would be perfect. A couple of years ago we would have probably cashed in on Emerton and Nelsen.

I think the problem with Matteo is that he is on quite high wages and is not anywhere near the first team. I think Souness brought him in initially to play in midfield as he had been playing there for Leeds, with the thought that he would also be useful as he could play centre half and left back as well.

The problem is that he hasn't didn't do well enough in midfield and I think he has looked a liability at centre half and I'm sure Mokoena would be in the side ahead of him if we had a lot of central defenders missing through injury.

Left back seems to be his best position and to be honest was not exciting, but seemed to be doing a steady relaible job there. Unfortunately for him he lost his place through injury and that gave Gray a chance to stake a claim. Gray did perhaps surprisingly well and Matteo hasn't been able to get his place back.

I suspect now though with Emerton at right back, Neill is now first choice left back, pushing Matteo down to third choice. If we lose Neill in January without getting a new left back (eg Warnock) then we could find that we need Matteo again.

Perhaps the best option for both Matteo and Rovers is that we let him go on loan to a Championship club until January - that we he gets to play in meaningful games, which will help with his form and fitness and Rovers get a contribution towards his wages.

I can certainly agree with what you say about Matteo abc. you have made a reasoned argument for what you posted, unlike the majority with their "lynch mob" approach. I agree also that a loan to a good championship side until January is probably the best solution, as long as no hard and fast decisions are made either way until January. Go for it!

Edited by Fife Rover

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.