BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] How Do You Think Rovers Did In The Transfer Market Forum

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Normally, a decent transfer window for us. This summer though, other clubs has strenghtened a lot, whilst we have replaced Bellamy (and Kuqi), strenghtened at the back - but not in the midfield. Will give Hughes time to prove that we have done well, it depends on the form of especially David Bentley and Steven Reid in my opinion, plus the ageing Turk. If MGP continues to disappoint, we have Sergio Peter and Gally waiting in the ranks, but in the centre it's very few options available it seems.

We should have some money available for January, until then we'll wee with the willy we've got and so on..

My feelings, we did very well. Perhaps to many the quality of player we brought in did not live up their personal expectations but looking at the big picture some very good moves. I say this based on players in and out. Sparky has managed to offload some of the fringe players who were surely pulling down big bucks and replaced then for players more likely to play an effective role. Bellers leaving was a buggar and I'm a bit miffed Neill is still going to pull on the shirt, I would have rather taken the money. Overall pretty happy and interested to see how it goes.

Edited by USABlue

All in all i think a pretty successful transfer window for us.

As it's been documented we have strengthened at the back and upfront and also in the keeping area. The midfield is something that we will have to look at come January. We will probably need to purchase a creative central midfielder if we have a tough few months ahead.

Poor start to the season, but with more options upfront and a tighter defense then I'm expecting the tide to change very quickly. If we aren't scoring goals freely in the next 5-6 games, then I expect Tugay to be used more often this season.

Glad Shefi the Farmer is gone though, but for £2.5 million is way over the top. Nice bit of business from Hughes!

:rover::rover:

Like McCarthy, Nonda had been linked with Rovers over a prolonged period. This makes me think that Sparky thought highly of him. If he can replicate that goal scoring record in the premiership then we will have an excellent strike force. He has great pace as well as height, by all accounts, and will give us more options up front.

In defence, now that we have kept Neill, I think we have enough cover at left back and with Ooijer coming in we have good cover for centre back and right back. I am sure he will come good.

As for midfield, I fear we are dereft of quality and depth. I have not been convinced by either Bentley, Reid or Emerton on the right over the last few seasons and felt we really needed to bring in an out andf out winger. Also, in the centre, with Tugay out, we lack creativity and we also lack players that can make a run into the box and support the attack. I think this was the kind of player we really needed to bring in.

However, it has to be remembered that Hughes has spent relatively little, yet brought in some class players. It would have been nice to bring in some more, but maybe Hughes just couldn"t find anybody good enough and at the right price. On top of this, we have signed Reid, Pedersen and Nelsen on long term contracts.

Not a bad summer when you look back on it, but I do feel we have slipped behind a number of clubs.

I was expecting better, but at least we secured some of our own talents and signed some reasonably good players. It was always going to be an uphill struggle once Belars left, but that has gone.

I look forward to a well fought season.

Holding onto Lucas was very important as we still don't know how long Ryan Nelsen is out for and shabani Nonda looks good on some of the videos which i've seen of him. He's got great pace and his finishing is of the highest level, just hope he can cut it in the premiership

I am reasonably satisfied. We have to give the present squad a chance to see what it can produce under the guidance of our superb management and coaching team. You never know it could be far better than we all expect. I too had hoped to see a good AMF signed; Petrov would have been good for us, but alas it did not happen. Now we have to all put this tranfer window out of our minds and get behind the team.

I trust Sparky's judgement and if he thinks we dont need a new AMF; so be it! AS I said earlier on another thread, maybe he intends to use Benni as a combined AMF/striker or even to play him in AMF mode and use two other strikers up front. He has the skill, vision and pace that Bellamy gave us (well almost) and can still score goals coming from MF.

I am reasonably satisfied. We have to give the present squad a chance to see what it can produce under the guidance of our superb management and coaching team. You never know it could be far better than we all expect. I too had hoped to see a good AMF signed; Petrov would have been good for us, but alas it did not happen. Now we have to all put this tranfer window out of our minds and get behind the team.

I trust Sparky's judgement and if he thinks we dont need a new AMF; so be it! AS I said earlier on another thread, maybe he intends to use Benni as a combined AMF/striker or even to play him in AMF mode and use two other strikers up front. He has the skill, vision and pace that Bellamy gave us (well almost) and can still score goals coming from MF.

Do you think that it would be wise to change Benny's position now though? I mean the guys been banging in goals his whole career as a striker-hardly the time to change at 29.

Also has anybody heard anymore on Nelsen's injury/recovery? This could have a huge bearing on our season to point out the obvious.

Edited by Somerset Rover!

I think its a question of what our priorities are and what we are looking to achieve as I don't feel we have strengthened especially to make an impact on the Europe side of things - much the same as previous campaigns worringly.

On this I think we have to trust Sparky and hope the midfield sorts itself out.

The forwards will only be as good as the service they receive , which I feel is lacking from midfield and is a big concern bearing in mind we are in Europe again.

If Neill's mind is on things then keeping him is a bonus, and Oojer would appear to have the credentials to be a good signing along with Mccarthy.

Here's hoping Tugay can defer his age and provide the creativity we are so crying out for.

However, one thing that I do believe in is that it will probably give a chance to the younger players though to step up to the mantle ... ala Gallagher and Sergio.

Here's hoping....

I was happy with the signing of McCarthy I think he is going to be cracking signing.

All of the others are all a bit of a gamble. I can't see any of them shining.

I would have loved to see Rovers sign a top notch midfielder (Steed Malbraque) to link up with McCarthy.

One other concern is our first choice front line is made up of two African Internationals which could leave us with a front line of Gallagher and Jeffers for a couple of games.

mixed opinions.

i'm looking forward to seeing how nonda does, if he can recapture his early form- we'll storm up the league.

however, like most, i'm disappointed we havent brought in a creative midfielder. i can only presume MH has been thwarted in his attempts or is waiting until jan.

i believe MH has faith in bentley and gallagher to support tugay, we rovers fans need to do the same and back MH to get it right. he hasnt let us down so far.

:brfc:

I think one of the best bits of the summer dealings was the loaning of barker out to a league two side. They obviously think he is old enough now to start proving himself at lower levels to get a crack at the prem in a year or so's time. Best of luck barker!

I've just spent my lunch break playing around with excel and catalogueing everyone's transfers. By my reckoning we were the only Premiership club to make a profit in the transfer window.

Edited by Tango

I think one of the best bits of the summer dealings was the loaning of barker out to a league two side. They obviously think he is old enough now to start proving himself at lower levels to get a crack at the prem in a year or so's time. Best of luck barker!

Tend to agree with you there PR, but with a slight reservation. Namely I am a little worried that letting our more promising youngsters play at League 2 level there is a strong risk that they will develop bad playing habits> This could have a detrimental effect on the players development.

I've just spent my lunch break playing around with excel and catalogueing everyone's transfers. By my reckoning we were the only Premiership club to make a profit in the transfer window.

What about United?

What about United?

You have a point actually, I'd missed Mikel's transfer off. I'll rephrase it to "the club that made the biggest profit" :P

Though if Kuzczack cost £4m, then they're in the red. I've only put him down as a loan so far.

Edited by Tango

Overall, on the business and squad strengthening end we did well.

On strengthening the first XI, I think that on paper we might have done so ever so slightly but the jury will be out till the results come on the pitch.

The big question mark for me is over the transfer kitty that we had/or did not have. If we did have 5-6 million then was it really the case of no one of good enough quality was available to strengthen the first XI?

I mean a couple of names come to find at great prices, ie. Sorin for 2.2 million pounds, Marlbranque at 2.5 million pounds. I find it hard to believe that Sorin isnt better than Gray, and Steed would not strengthen the right hand side of midfield significantly. Questions over the latters temperament cannot be really viable considering the question marks over Jeffers ability to re-produce and Nondas ability to return to form and fitness.

Hmm...a weird transfer window. I feel a big weight has been put on the shoulders of MGP, Tugay, Reid and Bentley to knock in the goals and create the ammunition for the forwards.

Personally, I feel that the teams up and around us have improved their line-ups significantly and we have put a little too much faith into our ability to keep up the pace from last year.

The golden rule of football is never sit on your laurels, and the best time to strengthen is when you are on top and ahead. I hope we arent languishing in mid-to-lower half of the table in January and then we decide to splash out on a couple of players.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.