BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] What Was Rovers Worst Transfer?

rastan

Hello!

I just wanted peoples opinions on what/who they thought was rovers worst player transfer activity?

Players left who shouldnt have, players who left and got good, players who come in who are kak but meant to be good(ie amoruso, well thats GS!), good players who've left for hardly any money etc etc...

Ive got my opinion, but ill wait till later to see if anyone thinks the same as me..

thanks

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Selling Shearer.

ya i agree in 1 way, but it was not that bad as we got the biggest transfer fee for a player at the time so in that sense it was good business 15 mill, if he hadnt left then; all clubs would have kept coming in for him until eventualy he;d have left us anyway so the money we received was good business under those circumstances.

how often do u c good players go on strike or sulk these days so they can leave the club and end up going for much less than they could have cos the mnager is fed up with them etc?

Probably Grabbi. Expensive fee, no return. I'm still one of those that thinks he had a bit of talent and that it could have all worked out had things not gone the way that they did, but it would certainly be between him and Davies for me.

Grabbie, Davies, Blake, Ward

I always argue against Blake as being one of the worst purchases we made. He managed 16 goals 45 appearances at a goal every 2.8 games.

Dickov was only 15 goals in 44.

Yes I know he cost us 4.25million but, unlike Grabbi and Davies, at least we got some sort of return for our money. I'm not saying he was good but theres no way he's the worst.

Matty Holmes

I'd second that as the worst close-season transfer activity. Champions League football on offer to attract the best talent in football (when the Champions League was still the exclusive reserve of the champions) and that's who we got. Jack Walker's one great mistake.

Edited by Tooting Rover

Hello!

I just wanted peoples opinions on what/who they thought was rovers worst player transfer activity?

Players left who shouldnt have, players who left and got good, players who come in who are kak but meant to be good(ie amoruso, well thats GS!), good players who've left for hardly any money etc etc...

Ive got my opinion, but ill wait till later to see if anyone thinks the same as me..

thanks

For players who left and then came good, Patrik Andersson springs to mind for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrik_Andersson

Its really got to be Davies, hasn't it? He cost about half a million more than Grabbi (£6.7m->£7.25m), so that's my justification. :P

The money we paid for him and Blake was indicitave of how crazy football was going between the late 90s and early 2000s.

For players who left and then came good, Patrik Andersson springs to mind for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrik_Andersson

Beat me to it

As for supposed to be good but kak - Per Frandsen springs to mind (Emerton would have been here but he has redeemed himself slightly lately) Ward & Dahlin but I didn't rate them as any good before they came anyway.

How anybody can call Blake is strange - he might not have been the best but he wasn't the worst

Based on terms of money it has to be Grabbi/Davies - with Grabbi probably nicking it due to the fact Souness only ever saw him play on Video :wstu:

Players that shouldn't have left for whatever - Garner/Sellars/Hendry/Sutton/Speedie/Duff/Dunn/Berg/Barker ......

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.