BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Games/General Gaming

2 Guys on my floor got it yesterday. One for PS3 the other for 360. They both have HDTVs tough the PS3 version does look a little better. That being said my friend with the PS3 has a better TV, so there's room for debate. The PS3 does this mandatory upload before you could even start playing that allows for at worst very brief and at best seamless transitions between cut scenes and game play that on the 360 would make you stop and load for a good 20-45 seconds. Both are very impressed by it, the demo was actually part of the beginning. They say the game play is real good and they're both looking forward to seeing what their upgrades do. They have also played the series before and they don't have any negative things to say about the new character Nero. They even have their own theories about him already.

To sum up Starscascade, if that type of game is something you're into, then it definitely looks worth the investment. Or you could just wait for a shooter.

My new PC turns up tomorrow, so I can FINALLY play Crysis that's been sat in my cupboard for about a month.

Anyone played it? Thoughts?

I have it, it plays quite well on my PC on high graphics. Graphics are very good and I like the fact you can get in vehicles. Currently stuck though

Just sold Dead Rising on ebay. While initially quite compelling, the ridiculous lack of checkpoints and the sheer amount of real-time objectives quickly drain any enjoyment. Also, the fact that you can't aim a weapon and move at the same time means that battling armed characters is nigh on impossible.

Oh and I'm thinking of getting Madden NFL 08. Can anyone recommend that?

Edited by Rovermatt

I most certainly can. If you're into the NFL, you need to play Madden. Superstar mode = tons of fun.

The new "weapons" system adds a new dimension to the gameplay as well. Although you should be aware perhaps, that the passing game seems harder in 08 in that a shutdown corner can really dominate down the field and so you need a big play receiver or an accurate QB to make plays happen through the air. I've also found that bouncing to the outside during a running play can be harder this time around because the defense is more apt at reading plays and linebackers are very quick to break through your O line (this of course is largely down to which team you choose to play as...) or just close you down before you can get up to speed. The emphasis is very much on reading your opponent and acting accordingly. Be prepared to audible quite a bit.

Just sold Dead Rising on ebay. While initially quite compelling, the ridiculous lack of checkpoints and the sheer amount of real-time objectives quickly drain any enjoyment. Also, the fact that you can't aim a weapon and move at the same time means that battling armed characters is nigh on impossible.

Did you realise you could save at any time by going to the toilets or security room? Also, you're supposed to play it in chunks - do a few hours, mess up something, go off and explore, find something cool, then restart and do it better but with your character at a higher level. Makes fighting the armed blokes pretty easy.

Buy it back! You're missing out.

Did you realise you could save at any time by going to the toilets or security room? Also, you're supposed to play it in chunks - do a few hours, mess up something, go off and explore, find something cool, then restart and do it better but with your character at a higher level. Makes fighting the armed blokes pretty easy.

I agree, most people don't "get" how you're supposed to play Dead Rising (which sounds incredibly condescening for which I don't mean to be) but I know I didn't understand it really at first but just ploughed on as you keep any level ups you make on your next fresh game - making it easier every time you restart. I also made the mistake of worrying over every mission and survivor - only people who are level 50 and played the game obsessively will be able to do every mission and rescue every survivor. Also, even if you fail one of the story missions it's not game over - you just get a different ending.

Yeah I know but getting to that point was difficult enough and the save points are so sparse that they are in fact useless. The problem with the game is that you can't explore due to the real-time setting.

Yeah I know but getting to that point was difficult enough and the save points are so sparse that they are in fact useless. The problem with the game is that you can't explore due to the real-time setting.

If you want to explore, you can just forget about the tasks and do your own thing. As long as you're alive at the end, you've completed the game - it's up to you if you want to rescue people.

There's also a brilliant bonus mode that you get after you finish it, where all the survivors are after you. You have to kill them for food and weapons, and last as long as you can, but you can't just hole up and wait because your health is constantly running out. You're obliged to explore and raid all the food shops.

There's so much in that game, it's a shame Capcom didn't make it a bit more accessible. I know other people who said 'this is great' at first and then gave up on it after missing a few missions.

Even if you ignore all the side/rescue missions and stick to the story mode (which is surely a natural thing to do at the very least) it proves overly difficult and thus ruins an otherwise fun game.

Yep, I agree with you here. I finally got bored and gave up when I was trying to get back to a save point and went down a corridor which was stuffed with zombies, battled may way to the end which seemed to take forever, nearly dead, to only find the door locked. Pointless and not needed.

I also understand the restarting with all the power ups but I don't want to have to re-do all the bits I've already done over and over and over again. Yep taking photos in the helicopter great, but not the 10th time. Same with that annoying git with the camera.

Yep, I agree with you here. I finally got bored and gave up when I was trying to get back to a save point and went down a corridor which was stuffed with zombies, battled may way to the end which seemed to take forever, nearly dead, to only find the door locked. Pointless and not needed.

You just went the wrong way.

Most of Dead Rising never puts you in situations like that, if you're prepared to experiment a bit. You can mix up some zombie repellent if you need to go into a heavily infested area, or find a weapon that makes it easy to plough through crowds.

If you find the fighting too hard, grab the clown's chainsaws plus a couple of books that make them last almost forever and you're practically invincible. Alternatively, walk over their heads.

That game rules. I'm going to have to break it out again tonight. Never did get the 'zombie brad' achievement.