BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Games/General Gaming

I've been dying for a football game to do a "single" player career mode for ages. It works so well in several other sports and I have to say that this would be the only reason that I might consider buying FIFA this year.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the reasoning they have used is quite fair and I have to actually say that the game does not appeal in anyway at all.

Taken from that article

Rejecting a work is a very serious action and one which we do not take lightly," said BBFC Director David Cooke. "Where possible we try to consider cuts or, in the case of games, modifications which remove the material which contravenes the Board’s published Guidelines. In the case of Manhunt 2 this has not been possible. Manhunt 2 is distinguishable from recent high-end video games by its unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone in an overall game context which constantly encourages visceral killing with exceptionally little alleviation or distancing. There is sustained and cumulative casual sadism in the way in which these killings are committed, and encouraged, in the game.

Although the difference should not be exaggerated the fact of the game’s unrelenting focus on stalking and brutal slaying and the sheer lack of alternative pleasures on offer to the gamer, together with the different overall narrative context, contribute towards differentiating this submission from the original Manhunt game. That work was classified 18 in 2003, before the BBFC’s recent games research had been undertaken, but was already at the very top end of what the Board judged to be acceptable at that category."

Seems fair enough to me. A game where you play a mental patient terying to escape from the asylum killing anything that gets in your way.......Hmmmmm. However I dont agree with the calls to ban games like GTA and the like - that is a different story. At least in GTA and other games there are consequences to the actions of killing innocent people and plenty of alternatives to doing that - like driving around listening to the sound track or doing the biggest jumps, or god forbid completing the story missions. This games whole point seems to be to murder or kill innocent people in the "best" way possible, of course they were going to come down on it like a ton of bricks. Carmageddons ban got overturned, I cant see that happening with this one, at least in Carmageddon you could just race if you wanted, and lets face it running over a blocky sprite is hardly the same as a laying an axe into a next gen graphic of a mental nurse.....

Lets wait to see the outcome of the inevitable appeal.

I got forza motorsport and Dirt last week (what can i say, I love racing games). Thought I may have made a mistake and that they would be too similar. Couldn't be further from the truth.

Forza

Forza is a dream to play and in my opinion is way better than GT. The amount of cars and options is just overwhelming. The driving model is superb and what they have done with the braking and acceleration zone (rather than a full driving line) is inspired as it makes the game very accessible to non racing game enthusiasts (without making it too easy). You can damage different components in the car and they all affect the car differently when they do get damaged and unlike GT the car body will deform when you crash. I've been having fun lately totally suping up hatch backs to ridculous power levels and then not updating the handling componnets or tires. Just trying to keep the car on the track into the first corner is a challenge! Oh, and non of the silly training modes you have in GT are here, so straight to the racing. You can even auction cars on line - great stuff, however that would only be useful just to get great liveries for the cars. some people have designed awseome ones with the inbuilt car painter.

Couple of gripes. You cant extend the number of laps each race has. However, it does include the best nurburgring ever and has endurance modes for some of the later races. Some of the races can also be a cake walk as all you have to do is buy the best parts for the car and you'll pull away easily.

career mode is spot on, but have yet to try it online. In my opnion the best on road track game you can buy.

Dirt

Its a testament to this game that I though it was going to have to go some to prize me away from Forza 2 for a while. It succeeded, its not been out of the xbox since Friday. Totally different to Forza in that this is for off road racers only. it has about 6/7 types of off road

Rally

Rallycross

Crossover

Hill climb

are the ones I can remember off the top of my head

Whoever designed the menu system for this game wants a medal, totally intuitive and you aren't going all over the place to find yourself around, probably about 5 presses of the "A" button gets you racing. This game blends arcade style handling and adds enough realism into the mix to get you hooked. Nothing like flying over a blind crest in a rally car and then having to handbrake round the next hairpin, all in georgous HD! Best way to describe this game is exhilarating, its not stop action all the way in this game. Unlike Forza its not possible to supe up the car by adding new parts, all you can do is enter another car or try to change the setup (which by the way a novice could do because the commentary over each setup option is superb) so the racing (when its obviously not rallying) tends to be very close. Only vehicle I didn't like were the buggies, they seemed too unpredictable and bounced around too much for my liking.

As you work through the career mode you earn money and can then buy new cars to compete with. Which means you can go back to any races later on if you think you have the better car now. Difficulty is set just right as well, if it seems you are dominating too much the in game commentator will tell you to move it up a level. I'm currently playing at pro am and having very close racing at the mo so i'm pitched just right. The harder the difficulty the more cash you win.

You can also enter a full rally championship season if you want, but i havn't tried that yet as i'm still busy with the career mode.

Gripes. Although I havn't tried it yet, I've heard the online play isn't all that it could be. Buggies are a bit of a let down. Not as comprehensive a car list as Forza plus you cant modify the cars.

All in all two very good and different racing games come out within a week. I'm in heaven.....

For those with PC's or those with just general interest in these things.

Have a look at Crysis and Quake - Enemy Territories

After installing the Dirt Demo the other day and crying when it looked more like a slideshow, I dont think crysis will be running on my PC for a while! (I thought i had a half decent GPU with the 7800gtx, obviously not.)

Especially as Vista is going nowhere near my system until next year and that there is only one decent DX10 card available. ATIs offering is a steaming pile of poo which is a shame.

looking forward to Bioshock myself.

After installing the Dirt Demo the other day and crying when it looked more like a slideshow, I dont think crysis will be running on my PC for a while! (I thought i had a half decent GPU with the 7800gtx, obviously not.)

Especially as Vista is going nowhere near my system until next year and that there is only one decent DX10 card available. ATIs offering is a steaming pile of poo which is a shame.

looking forward to Bioshock myself.

On a similar note, have you seen that a patch has been released that enables Halo 2 to work on XP. They also reckon a Shadowrun one is available. So much for MS claiming that games like that can only run on Vista!!!

On Dirt, works perfectly on my 360 ;)

If anyone gets their hands on the Transformers game can you let me know what you think. I does look interesting but I have a feeling that once you play it you wont pick it up again after 2 months?

To answer my own question, I have found a good review (in fact ALL the reviews on this site are good - I have no idea why anyone would spend £6 on a console mag every month when this site has every thing you need) - Click

It dosent sound great does it. I am getting sick of these games now that have you wandering around a big city fighting endless battles to carry the story on - Spiderman/Superman Returns etc.

They could do so much more with the content it really angers me at them trying to make a quick bob or two by thowing this tripe out.

To answer my own question, I have found a good review (in fact ALL the reviews on this site are good - I have no idea why anyone would spend £6 on a console mag every month when this site has every thing you need) - Click

It dosent sound great does it. I am getting sick of these games now that have you wandering around a big city fighting endless battles to carry the story on - Spiderman/Superman Returns etc.

They could do so much more with the content it really angers me at them trying to make a quick bob or two by thowing this tripe out.

Thats movie tie ins for you. I always avoid them like the plague because they are always crap. You could probably name all the good movie tie in titles on your fingers (and I dont include spiderman in that - it was awful)

Oh and as for your point about gaming sites v mags. I agree, and gamespot has to be my favourite. Podcasts, video reviews the lot. But you cant browse the internet on the bog :lol::lol:

Edited by roversyoyo

Oh and as for your point about gaming sites v mags. I agree, and gamespot has to be my favourite. Podcasts, video reviews the lot. But you cant browse the internet on the bog :lol::lol:

I also use gamespot but I think that gametrailers is better due to their detailed reviews.

Also, you can browse the internet on the bog with a lappy or a mobile :P

Ha Ha. It works on mine too. Always keep your options open...... ;)

Mine too. Well actually it's kinda broken, the rally stages are stupidly hard and the non-rally ones stupidly easy .... or maybe I just suck at rallying ;)

Just picked up Rainbow 6 Vegas - hopefully I will get chance to play it later today

Quoting myself again :ph34r:

Got a chance to have a play and I would recommend this for anyone with a PS3 or a 360. Resistance Fall of Man I enjoyed very much because its just kind of run round the gaff with your finger on the trigger blowing away anything that moves. This one is a very different beast though. You also have two other guys to control now, in the past this type of game has really annoyed me because your team dont seem to have any idea what they are shooting at or where they should be and the controls are far too difficult and all over the place. Rainbow 6 makes things easier by just using the X button to tell them what to do and the command changes depending on where you point. The down button tells them to re group. Its much more tactical too. You can put a little camera under the door before you burst into a room and tell them who to take out first so that you dont end up shooting a hostage. I thought it was all set in Vegas too but its not as I haven't even seen it yet.

All good stuff. If your bored go and pick it up :tu:

Quoting myself again :ph34r:

Got a chance to have a play and I would recommend this for anyone with a PS3 or a 360. Resistance Fall of Man I enjoyed very much because its just kind of run round the gaff with your finger on the trigger blowing away anything that moves. This one is a very different beast though. You also have two other guys to control now, in the past this type of game has really annoyed me because your team dont seem to have any idea what they are shooting at or where they should be and the controls are far too difficult and all over the place. Rainbow 6 makes things easier by just using the X button to tell them what to do and the command changes depending on where you point. The down button tells them to re group. Its much more tactical too. You can put a little camera under the door before you burst into a room and tell them who to take out first so that you dont end up shooting a hostage. I thought it was all set in Vegas too but its not as I haven't even seen it yet.

All good stuff. If your bored go and pick it up :tu:

Is it FPS?

Yep.

Not your average rambo style Medal of Honor type FPS though. Good game.

Yes, and this is why I think I like it so much. Unlike most games of this type you just wander round blowing anything away that moves this really does make you feel part of the action.

Rovermatt - this should help you - Click