BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Players We Should Have Signed, But Never Did....

Gav

So come on all the players we should have signed but for some reason never did:

David Lee from Bury, a Rovers fan and great lower league winger, why didn't Don Mackay sign him?

My dad said Bob Latchford? "If Kendall had been given the money in season 80/81 we'd have gone up instead of Swansea" don't remember that one myself.

Marc Overmars, was rumored that Jack vetoed Kenny’s move for Overmars and that signaled the beginning of the end for Kenny.

Zinedine Zidane. Primarily due to the supreme technical abilities of one G. Flitcroft.

Oh I remember that one, we are hot favourites to sign him (believe he was still playing in France then along with Christophe Dugarry who we are also linked with).

Instead, we decided that Matt Holmes would provide much more flair and creativity in our midfield. Oh how right we were...... :lol:

David Lee from Bury, a Rovers fan and great lower league winger, why didn't Don Mackay sign him?

Interesting that one - used to see him quite alot down at the Rovers

Roy Keane - without a doubt - was ours apparently except for the 'unprofessional' set up at the time by all accounts

Mark Grew when he came on loan - did an excellent stint for us when we needed another keeper .

Ste B Posted Today, 16:28

Geoff Thomas. Which was a lucky escape

And thank #### for that - time I was close to throwing in my season ticket.

Think Ray Harford went all out for Zizou and Christophe Dugarry from Bordeux. Also in the clammer to replace Shearer we were heavilly linked with Crespo (fresh from Argy Olympic side) and Romario! For me failing to snap up Ray Ateveld from Everton in the late eighties has been a bitter regret.

the hougton legend..used to come to the pub with us and drink ORANGE!!!

Not seen or heard what hes up to in years...

Mark Grew when he came on loan - did an excellent stint for us when we needed another keeper .

he was awsome..was it crewe or port vale he came from...beer memories again.

what about linekar or beckham heehee

If it's the same David Lee, then he's the current Wigan Reserves manager and I have recently spoken to him as his son was attending the Manchester United Academy with my son......David Lee, David Lee, he's got no hair, but we don't care...David Lee...David Lee.......

:)

Think its the same David Lee

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/spo...ung_latics.html

I seem to remember us being priced out of a move for Rangers legend Davie Cooper (RIP) in the 80's. They wanted 100k and we would only offer 50k apparently.

Now that would've shook the football world to it's foundations!!

Instead we had to make do with the one dimensional Jack Holden favourite Windy Miller. Not much skill admittedly but supposedly long in the shower.

Oh I remember that one, we are hot favourites to sign him (believe he was still playing in France then along with Christophe Dugarry who we are also linked with).

Instead, we decided that Matt Holmes would provide much more flair and creativity in our midfield. Oh how right we were...... :lol:

We did indeed come close to signing Dugarry. Once Juventues showed an interest in Zidane though we never stood a chance.

It was also the summer of 96, the season after we won the championship. I remember Harford coming out and saying his ideal front line would have been Donis, Shearer, Dugary and Wilcox

Well, he got 2 right..... :blink:

I reckon we had a lucky escape with Sven. For the older fans we nearly signed Colin Bell before he went to City. On another theme Jimmy Kerr who followed Bell in the Bury team and in my opinion would have been as good as Bell only played about 10 games for us before getting an injury that finished his career.

We really put the boat out to get him ,we were planned to build a team around him.

Gabriel Batistuta is one that we really missed out on. I think that we were close to it as well, only that Fiorentina's President said that he would have been killed by the fans if he had sold him. Zinedine Zidane would have come in handy, but I doubt he would have been able to get in the team over Gary Flitcroft.

I seem to remember us being priced out of a move for Rangers legend Davie Cooper (RIP) in the 80's. They wanted 100k and we would only offer 50k apparently.

Now that would've shook the football world to it's foundations!!

Instead we had to make do with the one dimensional Jack Holden favourite Windy Miller. Not much skill admittedly but supposedly long in the shower.

Are you getting mixed up with John Millar here? He was apparently a legend with the ladies of B/bn and offered stern competion to Tony Finnigan in the trouser dept. (no racial streotyping btw!)

I reckon we had a lucky escape with Sven. For the older fans we nearly signed Colin Bell before he went to City. On another theme Jimmy Kerr who followed Bell in the Bury team and in my opinion would have been as good as Bell only played about 10 games for us before getting an injury that finished his career.

We really put the boat out to get him ,we were planned to build a team around him.

But not only did we lose Kerr to injury, we also got relegated the season he came because we didn't cope after we lost him; I am sure we would not have been relegated to the old 3rd Division if he had not been injured.

Archived