BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Corners

Think it's time MGP was taken off corner duty. It's more likely we will concede rather than score from our corners.

Tugay, Dunn or Emerton to take 'em please Hughesy.

Our set pieces are poor as well .....unles Morten can shoot.

Surely we should be aiming for big Chris...

Bring back Keeley and Fazackerley !!!

1. I am sick of him trying to score from them

2. I am sick of him putting it to the front post

3. I am sick of him playing the short one and then playing a poor ball in when he gets it back.

What we should do:-

Tugay and Ped stand on the edge of the box. Samba and Nelson are the target men in the middle. Bentley takes the corner and aims for Samba and Nelson - if they get it - nice - if not then Ped or Tuggs are there on the edge to smash it in - Welcome to the world of Cocker

1. I am sick of him trying to score from them

2. I am sick of him putting it to the front post

3. I am sick of him playing the short one and then playing a poor ball in when he gets it back.

I think it's in his contract that he has to take all corners.

I brought this up 3 or 4 seasons ago and was slated for it but when emerton came to the club his corners were very good, however they went steadily downhill and the same with MGP.

I was trying to think the last time we scored a header from a corner....still thinking. I would have to say it has to be something in the coaching as even the reserves and under 18s struggle.

However while we are winning it isn't a massive issue.

In the games I have seen lately MGP has been poor on corners. Arsenal game maybe the worst. That doesn't meen that MPG are not able to take great corner kicks, because we have all seen that before. The problem is that maybe only 1 of 10 is good, and I think the reason for that is he always tries to get the ball on the near post or something else fancy like a longball to Tugay so he can take in on the volley. In the Arsenal game that set piece went all the way to Friedel if I remember right. The objective should be to get the ball into the box and not score direct from the corner. So more corners to the fare post would increase the numbers of good corners.

Tugay can't take them as it takes him out of the game and he is a central player.

That's ridiculous. That's like saying Samba shouldn't go up for them because he's a defender.

I'd definitely let Bentley take a few though.

That's ridiculous. That's like saying Samba shouldn't go up for them because he's a defender.

Yes Bentley for me; he takes a good corner. I don't think we should advocate sending both Samba AND Nelsen up as target men for corners; either one or the other but not both together. Leaves us too exposed at the back if the opposition clear their area and break quickly.

But Tugay is miles more effective hovering on the edge of the box waiting for the scraps...

Bentley for me too...should we start a petition?! :lol:

Not really, If you take a central midfielder out of it then it leaves us even more exposed on the break as the defenders will be up etc.

But I just thought of Lampard, he takes all the corners for Chelsea and he in a central player.... hmmmm.

Pedersen shouldn't be taking them anyway really as he is so good with his heading and volleying. He is more useful in the box when you consider that Bentley or Emerton could take a corner as well, probably even Mokoena could.

I think Bentley deserves to take a few. Why not? He can't be any worse than the Ped!

Bentley took them all at goodison, a few wks back, about 10 of them.

his efforts were worse than MGP's. each one was cleared at the front post.

If that's the case , Pleasure , then they were the same as Pedersen's - not worse . :unsure:

Personally I'd either give MGP a damn good talking to and tell him to mix 'em up a bit .....or , preferably , stick him in the middle because he's our best header of the ball .

Maybe Tugay could take the corners if Bentley can't ; either of them should be capable of putting the ball where they want .

Has Emerton ever had a go at taking corners? He seems pretty useful at dead-ball situations. I can't for the life of me understand why Pedersen can't take a decent corner, he can whip in free kicks from a similar range and we always look threatening on those. Maybe if he started aiming for the penalty spot rather than the goalkeeper we'd have more success. It does make you wonder what Hughes is telling him to do, if Pedersen was consistently defying orders then surely he would be taken off them?

Watching us work the ball back to our goalkeeper within two passes from a corner on Wednesday was one of the most embarrassing things I've seen for a while. Watching it with a group of neutrals was not a pleasant experience.

Archived