BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boxing Thread

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great stuff, that's where boxing comes in to its own against other sports. Trash talking that W.G himself would've been proud of.

Hatton against the winner of De La Hoya - Mayweather would be huge. At this stage it seems extremely unlikely to happen.

he has a point about his weight tho,if i was a millionaire athelete i would stay in shape until my career was over.

boiling down weight is no good for you i did it all the time in competitions and it effected me that badly that i had to lose a few stone in 2 weeks for the gb championships and i was fighting the eventual winner (who went to the olympics and is current gb coach) and was beating him and my strength drained from me and one minute i was at the kelvin hall,glasgow and the next i knew i was in blackburn infirmary 4 days later in a nr coma.

Interesting though how the top American fighters have avoided both Hatton and Calzaghe

was watching the news yesterday and calzaghe's next opponent is the contenders very own peter manfredo and he has now got the legend sugar ray in in corner backing him up.

i can see calzaghe putting him on his ass in the 1st round, this is a total miss match in class imo.

Interesting though how the top American fighters have avoided both Hatton and Calzaghe
...that`s coz they`re only brave at 10,000ft in A10 tankbusters. ;)

was watching the news yesterday and calzaghe's next opponent is the contenders very own peter manfredo and he has now got the legend sugar ray in corner backing him up.

....how bizarre, how bizzare! B)

That's because they are all cowards and gobshites. Whenever there is a real top European fighter, they pull and eyelash, or find some bum who can go for a few rounds instead. Even the Mexicans/Pueto Ricans on't want to fight the likes of Hatton. And they're probably better.

Fat Man's belt to tight to fit, but a juicy prospect could be on the horizon.

• 4 months later...

Does no one on here follow boxing? I was hoping to read a bit about Hattons fight tonight but don't see it mentioned. I think tonight is the night Ricky get his dicky knocked in the dirt. I think Castillo will beat him.

What I can't believe though is how neither Hatton or Calzaghe has been allowed a shot at one of the big name Americans, I reckon they are scared of the pair of 'em and waiting till their skills diminish. Anyway good luck to Hatton but I think he's going down.

Can't speak for everyone but since the boxing authorities and Sky TV made boxing a middle of the night, pay-per-view, seriously fixed sport / con I've lost all interest.

Definately some shady goings on from time to time but I still enjoy it. The fact that two fighters who have won what over 40 fights each without defeat and there has been no mandatories with the "big" American names speaks volumes as to the authenticity of the governing bodies. Still every once in a while along comes a Morales/Barrera type fight and all is well with me.

There are many more honest fighters and personalities in the game than the shady ones though drog. Too bad for you they are middle of the night, prime time here in America, where the money is. Not too much pay per view, the y show 'em the week after anyway so I wait for that I swore I would never pay for another fight after the Tyson/Holyfield and the ear caper.

Great body shot by Hatton. Well done. Interesting how the American commentators immediately point to Castillo being sub par rather than give credit to Ricky.

Seems Ricky Hatton put on a top display tonight in Las Vegas, kocking out Jose Luis Castillo in the 4th round with a body shot. The Mexican had never previously been on the canvas.

When asked about the recently retired Floyd Mayweather, Hatton said there'd been more action in the 4 minutes of his fight tonight than in Mayweathers whole career.

Hope they get it on. I feel that Mayweather will come under an awful lot of pressure in the States to back up his' Fat Man' jibes and have one final bout.

edit - sorry a bit too drunk to notice USABlue had started a new thread !

Seems Ricky Hatton put on a top display tonight in Las Vegas, kocking out Jose Luis Castillo in the 4th round with a body shot. The Mexican had never previously been on the canvas.

When asked about the recently retired Floyd Mayweather, Hatton said there'd been more action in the 4 minutes of his fight tonight than in Mayweathers whole career.

Hope they get it on. I feel that Mayweather will come under an awful lot of pressure in the States to back up his' Fat Man' jibes and have one final bout.

edit - sorry a bit too drunk to notice USABlue had started a new thread !

Mayweather won't do it. Hatton will have to come up in weight did not do so well last time. Would be a good one though.

Hatton was fantastic tonight and had probably won the first three rounds before landing the knockout blow. That win takes Hatton into boxing superstar status - pound for pound he's as good as anyone in the world and he may just be the best British boxer ever. He looked stronger and quicker than Castillo tonight.

Incidentally, I've just stuck a tenner on him at 29-1 to be Sport Personality of the Year. That Hamilton bloke from F1 will probably win it but the odds were too good to refuse.

Hatton was fantastic tonight and had probably won the first three rounds before landing the knockout blow. That win takes Hatton into boxing superstar status - pound for pound he's as good as anyone in the world and he may just be the best British boxer ever. He looked stronger and quicker than Castillo tonight.

Incidentally, I've just stuck a tenner on him at 29-1 to be Sport Personality of the Year. That Hamilton bloke from F1 will probably win it but the odds were too good to refuse.

I am not so sure I would put him in the pound for pound top class yet but he is without doubt worth a shot at someone who is to show the world whether he really is in the same league as some of the "greats".

Probabely a decent e/w bet if you are able to that on the sports personality of the year.

With this most recent fight being on Setanta, there wasn't a lot of hype over here - certainly not in comparison to what usually preceeds a Hatton fight that Sky are showing.

That said, great win. To put Castillo on his backside is no mean feat.

The points made about Calzaghe and Hatton not fighting the big named Americans are valid ones - however it does appear to be edging closer. If Calzaghe knocks off Kessler (and I'm thinking he will) a fight with Jermain Taylor would have to be a certainty. There's no doubt in my mind that Joe is far far better than Taylor, the only doubt can be whether Taylor manages to hold on to the title for long enough for it to be worth Joe's while.

Interesting comments from Hatton regarding the Pretty Boy - now that would be a fight. If Ricky beat Mayweather he'd have to be classed amongst the greatest of all time.

I wouldnt be surprised if by this time next year we've seen Hatton - Mayweather and Calzaghe - Taylor. I also wouldnt be surprised one bit if the Brits came out on top in both.

Great stuff, that's where boxing comes in to its own against other sports. Trash talking that W.G himself would've been proud of.

Hatton against the winner of De La Hoya - Mayweather would be huge. At this stage it seems extremely unlikely to happen.

Didn't see this thread before posting in the other one. What a difference a couple of months makes! There now looks to be an excellent chance of this coming together.

Could a mod merge this with the other thread to create one overall boxing discussion....?

Archived