BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boxing Thread

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am really looking forward to the Mitchell fight. He is under-rated and ready to make the step up in class.

My pick for this is Mitchell via KO6.

Also seeing Roy Jones knock out Trinidad should be an enjoyable fight. (Hopefully setanta pick this up)

My pick for this is Roy Jones via TKO9.

• 2 weeks later...

The Malignaggi fight was very entertaining last weekend, particularly the second half.

Mitchell - Johanneson should be interesting, I'll take Mitchell in 5.

Edit: Just noticed that Johanneson has pulled out, replaced by Edison Torres.

The Malignaggi fight was very entertaining last weekend, particularly the second half.

Mitchell - Johanneson should be interesting, I'll take Mitchell in 5.

Edit: Just noticed that Johanneson has pulled out, replaced by Edison Torres.

Turned out to be a bit of a farce, but Mitchell did a good, professional job. Talk of the fight with Johanneson happening on the undercard of Macca-Haye

Calzaghe and Hopkins looks set for April 12th at Las Vegas .....

LINK

Great news. I'm off to get some quotes off expedia.

What's everyones opinion on the weight Hatton was against Mayweather? He was 153lbs, the same as when he fought Castillo at light-welter. Should he have gone into the ring heavier than that - or maybe even slightly lighter? The opinion was it worked against Castillo - so why not Floyd - but I didn't think he was looking that impressive against Castillo until the knock-out.
It's a weight class too high for him, he doesn't have the required power at welterweight. Obviously it wouldn't have mattered anyway, Mayweather's a modern great.

I've recently had an idea - and not sure whether it would work or not - so wondered if anyone has any opinions on it.

I'm sure many of you have seen www.myfooballclub.co.uk. Basically - they get people to sign up and pay £35 a year - and they get to run a football club. They're in the process of taking over Ebbsfleet United - and members get to vote on things like team selection and tactics etc. Whether it will work or not remains to be seen - but it's a great idea I think - as the game gets taken over by the mega rich and moves away from the everyday fan.

Then I thought - would it work better in boxing? The fan would essentially become a boxing promoter. Hopefully we could get hold of a few talented young boxers - and membership fees would go towards paying trainers, arranging fights etc.

Members could vote on which fighters to promote - who is going to train them, who they want them to fight and when, etc. etc. Any monies earned by the promotion company could then either be paid out to the members - or invested - again this would be decided by a vote.

It's only an idea in the early stages - so any feedback, ideas are much appreciated.

I've recently had an idea - and not sure whether it would work or not - so wondered if anyone has any opinions on it.

I'm sure many of you have seen www.myfooballclub.co.uk. Basically - they get people to sign up and pay £35 a year - and they get to run a football club. They're in the process of taking over Ebbsfleet United - and members get to vote on things like team selection and tactics etc. Whether it will work or not remains to be seen - but it's a great idea I think - as the game gets taken over by the mega rich and moves away from the everyday fan.

Then I thought - would it work better in boxing? The fan would essentially become a boxing promoter. Hopefully we could get hold of a few talented young boxers - and membership fees would go towards paying trainers, arranging fights etc.

Members could vote on which fighters to promote - who is going to train them, who they want them to fight and when, etc. etc. Any monies earned by the promotion company could then either be paid out to the members - or invested - again this would be decided by a vote.

It's only an idea in the early stages - so any feedback, ideas are much appreciated.

One of the key elements of MyFC is that the money all goes to the club, and not back to the members. I think that's actually important because it shows that people are not putting the money in as a financial investment. If you were to apply a similar principle to a boxing equivalent I think you'd have to make it quite clear that people were not in it for the money.

One of the key elements of MyFC is that the money all goes to the club, and not back to the members. I think that's actually important because it shows that people are not putting the money in as a financial investment. If you were to apply a similar principle to a boxing equivalent I think you'd have to make it quite clear that people were not in it for the money.

Thanks mate - much appreciated. The main benefits I'd want to sell are that it gives the fans a say in what happens. I think it could work better with boxing than football.

Thanks mate - much appreciated. The main benefits I'd want to sell are that it gives the fans a say in what happens. I think it could work better with boxing than football.

The first thing that sprang (sprung? sprang?) to mind when I imagined the concept would be that boxers would fight like homeless people on smack if they knew they were looking to impress people. Fans are excited by people with workrate and boxers who stand toe-to-toe with their opponents and I think they'd get a 'vote' ahead of a potentially better but more "boring" fighter. This makes me believe that we'd see some exciting fights at least. Impressing the public and impressing boxing judges are slightly different concepts. A MyBoxer system may inspire some classic slugfests.

• 2 weeks later...

He was excellent it must be said. It would've put a real marker down to have stopped the guy but such an emphatic win was probably the best he could realistically have hoped for.

Whats the general consensus here - will Khan be ready for a World Title fight at some point this year?

He was excellent it must be said. It would've put a real marker down to have stopped the guy but such an emphatic win was probably the best he could realistically have hoped for.

Whats the general consensus here - will Khan be ready for a World Title fight at some point this year?

If Khan had beaten him within 12 rounds - everyone would have just said St.Clair was over the hill. Going 12 rounds - and winning them all - was about the best result he could have had in my opinion. Not only was he in complete control - but showed that he was capable of going 12 rounds - and the experience will do him the world of good. I'm 50/50 as to whether he is ready for a world title shot.

Is it just me or is Khan massive for his weight? If I saw someone at 5'10 in the street - of his build - and was asked to guess his weight - I'd never guess 9 stone 9lbs.

Totally agree on his size, what I would say though is that the weight he enters the ring at (as opposed to what we is at the weigh in some 30 hours earlier) is likely to be far more than 9st 9lbs. I'd be surprised if he was any less than 10st 3lbs on Saturday night.

I was surprised to find out today that Clinton Woods is fighting Antonio Tarver on April 12 in Tampa. That should be interesting, it's more or less a dead end for the loser, but the winner would have a good chance of fighting the winner of Hopkins - Calzaghe.

Totally agree on his size, what I would say though is that the weight he enters the ring at (as opposed to what we is at the weigh in some 30 hours earlier) is likely to be far more than 9st 9lbs. I'd be surprised if he was any less than 10st 3lbs on Saturday night.

I was surprised to find out today that Clinton Woods is fighting Antonio Tarver on April 12 in Tampa. That should be interesting, it's more or less a dead end for the loser, but the winner would have a good chance of fighting the winner of Hopkins - Calzaghe.

I agree he will enter the ring heavier - but to me he looks bigger than say Ricky Hatton - who was 153 lbs when he entered the ring against Mayweather (according to Kerry Kayes) and Ricky is only 5'6ish. He must have light bones - they did say he was under 5% body fat too.

I saw a press conference the other day for Woods/Tarver - where Tarver was claiming he was as pretty as a girl - much to the amusement of everyone else in the room :)

• 2 weeks later...

Really looking forward to Pavlik - Taylor 2 tonight. Fight of ther Year potential, infact I'm probably even more excited about this one than I am about Macca - Haye. Pavlik is an animal, he's prone to getting caught but he's got really heavy hands. Taylor on paper has the skills to nullify Pavlik, but he hits incredibly hard. I think Pavlik will retain, atleast I hope so, but either way a real cracker is in store.

Setanta Sports 1 at 3am for those of you who want to watch/Sky Plus.

Hatton Laywer Dismisses Witter

Williams said: "Ricky has got numerous options to pursue. He is being courted by every big promoter in the US and we have options like Manny Pacquiao, Juan Diaz or a rematch against Floyd Mayweather.

"Why is he going to fight Junior Witter when he can fight any of those guys? In our opinion Junior brings nothing to the table. Unless things change dramatically there is no way he is going to fight Ricky Hatton."

Hatton would be too strong for Pacqiauo or Diaz. Hatton - Pacquiao would be one hell of a tear up though. It'd be interesting to see if Ricky can tempt some of the smaller guys to step up with the increased status he has after fighting PBF.

Archived