BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boxing Thread

Said that, England as a sporting nation in terms of fans are , in my opinion, the best in the world.

Well, the boxing fans proved you wrong last night.

Well done to Floyd. Glad it was a KO, because any hometown decision would have been to Mayweather, and therefore not necessarily convincing.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, the boxing fans proved you wrong last night.

Well done to Floyd. Glad it was a KO, because any hometown decision would have been to Mayweather, and therefore not necessarily convincing.

How many Americans do you suppose would have travelled across the Atlantic had the fight been in England. Have that many Americans EVER travelled overseas for one single sporting event? Not condoning the booing just don't let a few stupid moments of poor decision making spoil the overall event. By all accounts the English in Vegas were terrific.

Hatton, out classed, could not find the right distance either too close to get in his most effective punching or too far and right on the end of Mayweather's extra 6" reach. Still no one has ever questioned FLoyds ability, just most depise his attitude. I don't think Cortez helped normally he does not interefere that much.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when did we start having national anthems at boxing matches, I'm sure that when I have watched title fights in the UK I have never heard the national Anthem being sung.

Americans play the national anthem at just about any gathring of more than 3 or 4 people. :D

Seriously though, I think you are mistaken I clearly remember the Welsh anthem at the Calzaghe fights.

How many Americans do you suppose would have travelled across the Atlantic had the fight been in England. Have that many Americans EVER travelled overseas for one single sporting event? Not condoning the booing just don't let a few stupid moments of poor decision making spoil the overall event. By all accounts the English in Vegas were terrific.

I don't know, Kaiserslautern is a lot closer to Italy than the US, but US fans far outnumbered Italian ones at the World Cup match there...

I didn't say that Americans were better fans, but after hearing "10 German Bombers" at matches that didn't involve Germany, I can say the English are not the great fans they are made out to be. (I found the Australian and Tunisian fans the best at the Cup, by the way - the Iranians were also very good.)

Guest Kamy100

Good effort from Ricky but Mayweather was just to good. Hatton was really fired up and started of quite well but in the end at times he got in too close and for some reason didn't work Mayweather's body as he has done in previous fights. Fair credit to Mayweather, in the ring he is a class act, quick, sharp, tactically astute and deadly accuracy. He showed in this fight why rightly he is pound for pound the best in the world.

From all accounts Ricky's supporters have been superb all week. It is just a pity they felt the need to boo the American Anthem.

Very very disappointed this morning. I was sceptical about Ricky's chances, but when he rocked PBF in the first round I started to believe.

Unfortunately its hard to see what Ricky does from here. He really needs to find a way to bridge the gap in strength between where he currently is and being a bona-fide Welterweight. I'd love to see him do that, get a shot at Cotto and start working back towards another shot at Mayweather. At the moment its hard to see him doing that, and equally hard to see a rematch ever occuring.

Unless thats his goal, there's very little point in going on.

I feel like i've just done 12 rounds with Jack Daniels and he knocked me out cold after going to bed so late! <_<

It will be interesting who's up next for Hatton. There was rumours that Oscar DLH would up next whether Hatton won or not but if Hatton will move back to Light welterweight then I can't see that happening now but i'm sure Hatton would still be up for it!

Fair credit to Mayweather, in the ring he is a class act, quick, sharp, tactically astute and deadly accuracy. He showed in this fight why rightly he is pound for pound the best in the world.

To be fair to Mayweather, from this side of the Atlantic he doesn't seem that bad out of he ring. He's not the complete arrogant monster that he has been portrayed by some people. He was quite open in the 24/7 documentaries and he just come across as cocky and over-indulgent. However there was no real bad-mouthing of each other. After destroying Hatton he could really have twisted the knife if he'd wanted but he hasnt (yet). He's took a lot of abuse from haton fans very well and never really badmouthed them. His rendition of 'walking in a money wonderland' in the post fight conference was quite humurous.

The 3 hours sleep and the painkillers haven't stopped me feeling rough. Let's hope the impending Guinness does.

I agree. A lot of the time in the documentary and the pre-fight build up today, he was showed with his family and showed to everyone that he can talk the talk because he's been there and done it before.

The build up to the fight over the last few months have really pushed Hatton as a 'Rocky' like character and made Mayweather the 'bad guy' and I probably got sucked in like most people into thinking that Hatton could actually beat this guy as he appeared more dedicated and had the heart to fight through anything which was thrown at him.

After the fight Mayweather thanked the fans, told them he loved them and he really bigged up Hatton's efforts. A lot of respect must go to him because he showed why he's pound for pound the best fighter on the planet and he showed a lot of respect to Hatton after the fight.

just got up..not seen any post interviews yet,hatton fought like a man posseded with heart and passion.However Im not blaming the ref but cortez 100% disrupted and spoilt ricky's gameplan and as for the point off and telling him he was going to stop it proved how hatton needed a knockout from rd 1 to win the fight.Vegas results are crap,just look at ponce 7 round winner bullsh9t

Fair credit to Mayweather, in the ring he is a class act, quick, sharp, tactically astute and deadly accuracy. He showed in this fight why rightly he is pound for pound the best in the world.

From all accounts Ricky's supporters have been superb all week. It is just a pity they felt the need to boo the American Anthem.

I still rate Calzaghe as the best and it looks like he'll take on Hopkins next year probably in the States . Wales will send over a fair few supporters no doubt as well .

Mayweather , though , was superb , a different class in the ring , and his post fight comments about Hatton and his supporters were a credit to him .

The hype thing was generated in both camps to ensure that as much money was forthcoming from everywhere, everyone and everything. I dont think for one minute that either hatton or mayweather are like they have been portrayed in the past 2 weeks.

The 24/7 coverage by Sky and USA TV has seen fit to generate income beyong anyones wildest dreams. it seems that the event has grossed some 350 million $.

Hatton, although a loser in the ring takes a cool $20m in his purse, He takes a reported $13m on top for his USA endorsements and he takes a pretty big wedge from PPv TV.

Mayweather has seen is personal fortune added too in the tune of some $200m and keeps his belt.

One thing from the after match press conferences, or am I wrong in thinking this, was Mayweather begging for a rematch in the UK ?

If a rematch goes ahead then there is unlikely to be the same sums of money involved or interest generated because it will finally be the last fight of Mayweathers career, and if he lost, then Hatton would be let with nothing but to retire himself.

Its time for a new Northern Boxing hero, step forward Amir Khan, but please, AK, get rid of that silly little BWFC emblem, it doesnt do your street cred any good at all to be associated with the winkers :rolleyes:

Mayweather was so clever, he out boxed Hatton, people can say what they want about the Ref but Mayweather was awesome, his counter punching was great. Hatton was lucky not to get floored in round 8 to be honest.

If he doesn't fall into Mayweather, after that shot, he's hitting the canvas.

I agree. A lot of the time in the documentary and the pre-fight build up today, he was showed with his family and showed to everyone that he can talk the talk because he's been there and done it before.

The build up to the fight over the last few months have really pushed Hatton as a 'Rocky' like character and made Mayweather the 'bad guy' and I probably got sucked in like most people into thinking that Hatton could actually beat this guy as he appeared more dedicated and had the heart to fight through anything which was thrown at him.

After the fight Mayweather thanked the fans, told them he loved them and he really bigged up Hatton's efforts. A lot of respect must go to him because he showed why he's pound for pound the best fighter on the planet and he showed a lot of respect to Hatton after the fight.

Agreed,

He talks the talk , but he can cause he walks the walk. Top class fighter.

proud of Ricky, top northern lad, probably in the wrong weight division. After Calzaghe's win tonight he should defintely move up to light heavyweight,he is the undispued king of super middle weight and a fight against Hopkins would be something!

just got up..not seen any post interviews yet,hatton fought like a man posseded with heart and passion.However Im not blaming the ref but cortez 100% disrupted and spoilt ricky's gameplan and as for the point off and telling him he was going to stop it proved how hatton needed a knockout from rd 1 to win the fight.Vegas results are crap,just look at ponce 7 round winner bullsh9t

I thought Escobedo had a least done enough for a draw. As for Ricky - his only chance was to rough Mayweather up early - and the refs disruption didn't help him get going. Shame Mayweather didn't go down in the first round - at least Ricky could say he was the first man to knock him down. Once they'd got past round three - Mayweathers class started to tell - and he was just far too good at 147lbs. Even at 140lbs - while it would be closer - you'd still have to say Mayweather would have the edge.

Good effort by Hatton but Mayweather made him look completely unskilled.

For me, that was Hatton's second loss - the record books might not say so, but Collazo beat him up pretty badly over 12 rounds at welterweight. Needs to slim down and mix it with smaller fighters he can overpower.

Exactly our thoughts. There was 8 of us watching this and everyone agreed Mayweather was another class!

Mayweather was so clever, he out boxed Hatton, people can say what they want about the Ref but Mayweather was awesome, his counter punching was great. Hatton was lucky not to get floored in round 8 to be honest.

Archived