BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boxing Thread

Did anyone watch Friday Fight Night on SkySports? It was the first time I've ever seen Paul 'Chuckles' Appleby fight. He's a 20 year old featherweight - and he's won himself a new fan. Great to watch - still quite raw - but an aggressive young fighter with a great future I think.

Watched that fight and was mightily impressed

Showed good aggression and threw lots of combinations to body and head

One for the future!

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He looked quite good and certainly has the power. The only negative part of his fight was that he got sucked in a few times by the other guy and had to be over defensive when he probably didn't need to be. However he's still young and he'll learn from that and it's better to make mistakes now and get away with it than get punished big time against a tougher opponent.

Wow, how comprehensive was that? Haye looked a class above and hurt Maccranelli with his first meaningful punch.

Haye may just be the genuine article. Whether he can retain his punching power at heavyweight remains to be seen but, if he can, he could clean up.

Didn't watch it sadly but really pleased Haye won. Nothing against Enzo he seems a nice guy and is a very good boxer, but Haye has that extra something and could be the real deal. As is usually the case because he's a bit mouthy and arrogant he is not popular in this country so he needed something convincing to shut a few people up.

The Mitchell-Johanneson fight was worth staying up for alone. Mitchell looked comfortable, then on the verge of defeat, then found his range again. I've been a Mitchell fan for awhile - good to see him tested - and Johanneson gave him a good fight.

As for Haye - it was short as expected. Looking forward to him stirring up the Heavyweights now.

He may well have a suspect chin - but you can't fault his power - it was a massacre as promised.

really enjoyed the mitchell fight, thought he was dominating and then just seemed to lose his position a little and then finished johanesson very well

personally gutted as i really fancied enzo to do the business and never thought haye was as good as people claimed

again though, haye took him out well and in the end very well deserved. I just hope that if haye does go heavyweight he gives himself a couple of fights before he goes marching into championship bouts.

The exciting thing about Haye is the fact that there isn't really anyone out there who would destroy him at Heavyweight as the division doesn't seem to have many outstanding boxers.

Fair enough, if Haye fought for the world title in his next fight, he'd lose because he hasn't had the preparation of fighting heavyweights but if they keep building him up to become a world championship contender fighting the right people and learning in that division then when it's time for him to fight for the crown then he'll have a brilliant chance of becoming the next British World Heavyweight Champion. He's got the speed, he's got the power and his physic was fantastic last night. Once he becomes a heavyweight, he'll be even stronger with his punches and he'll come across slower opponents.

As for Enzo, he made the mistakes and got punished. A few pundits said that he should have gone down on his knee to take the count but to be fair to him, when you're scrapping for your life then it's probably the last thing that would have come into his head. At the end of the day, he fought a champion who was on the up and Enzo should hopefully now go for the vacant titles (when Haye steps up) and try and become a champion again in the cruiserweight division.

It wasn't a fantastic fight but it showed what a great future Haye has in the sport.

Let's hope they put on some more British fights!

As for Enzo, he made the mistakes and got punished. A few pundits said that he should have gone down on his knee to take the count but to be fair to him, when you're scrapping for your life then it's probably the last thing that would have come into his head.

Boxers know they should take the count when they get knocked down. Just look at Zab Judahs chicken dance for evidence of that. In fairness though - he still looked dazed about two minutes later - he probably wouldn't have lasted the round anyway.

So you travel 4000 miles to watch Ricky Hatton in Vegas, but have been slow off the mark and can't get decent priced tickets for his next fight 30 miles down the road.

What a muppet :angry:

So you travel 4000 miles to watch Ricky Hatton in Vegas, but have been slow off the mark and can't get decent priced tickets for his next fight 30 miles down the road.

What a muppet :angry:

Surely even the more expensive tickets will be cheaper than going to Vegas??

Great fight last night - Pacqiuao was lucky to get the decision but if the controversy sets up Pacqiuao - Marquez 3 then I'm all for it.

Can't wait for Gavin Rees next week, he could make big strides this year.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the best fighters i have seen in the last year is a young Ozzy from greek decent. He is known as Michael Katsidis , he lost his last fight against Joel Casamayor but the three fights before that where pretty special (exciting). He is a very rough diamond but i think he has a good chance of becoming something special.

From memory his record is something like 24 fights, 21 KO (11 TKO) and 1 defeat.

One of the best fighters i have seen in the last year is a young Ozzy from greek decent. He is known as Michael Katsidis , he lost his last fight against Joel Casamayor but the three fights before that where pretty special (exciting). He is a very rough diamond but i think he has a good chance of becoming something special.

From memory his record is something like 24 fights, 21 KO (11 TKO) and 1 defeat.

I'd be interested to see Katsidis and Khan fight. I think Khan would have the edge myself - but it would be close.

The Katsidis - Casamayor fight was absolutely enthralling and the Aussie lad came close to winning it. He looked very rough around the edges but it led to an exciting fight.

Leftwinger, there is no way in hell that Frank Warren would let Katsidis anywhere near Amir Khan whilst he's 21 and fairly unproven. He'd have his head removed from his shoulders.

Leftwinger, there is no way in hell that Frank Warren would let Katsidis anywhere near Amir Khan whilst he's 21 and fairly unproven. He'd have his head removed from his shoulders.

Graham Earl stunned Katsidis - and he took a standing 8 count. Khan destroyed Earl.

I think Khan is good enough now - but you're probably right about Warren not letting the fight happen soon.

I think Katsidis changed his approach too much against Casamayor, and it led to his downfall.

I have seen a fair bit of Katsidis and i think he would just about edge it over Khan. Yes, Earl stood up to the challenge but he was finished by the time he met Khan.

The fight i want to see and surely he must do it before he retires properly is Mayweather Jnr v Cotto

The fight i want to see and surely he must do it before he retires properly is Mayweather Jnr v Cotto

Unfortunately Mayweather keeps avoiding this one. I actually think Mayweather would beat Cotto too - but would be a great fight.

Unfortunately the simple economics of the situation rules this one out, for the time being atleast.

The majority of the boxing world don't want to see the mayweather-De La Hoya rematch and see no point in Mayweather-Hatton 2 but the money PBF would make out of these fights compared to a fight against Cotto, coupled with the added possibility of defeat and you can see why pbf is going down the road he is.

Archived