BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boxing Thread

Tucker - i agree. I just hope that Mayweather will not be classed a totally true champ unitl he faces Cotto. This is the message i am also receiving from the American boxing press/fans. Dont get me wrong i truly agree that PFB is the current best pound for pound boxer but he must fight Cotto to be classed a true great. The De La Hoya fight is just a money making exercise and Hatton will get beat again as the step up is just a little too much.

Even Ali was beaten during his prime, but that it why he can be classed as one of the greatest due to the fact that he would not back down from anyone and then returned to beat them.

Mayweather is in my opinion a wimp if he does not fight Cotto. I think it will be an amazing fight, massive advertising and i really could not decide the winner. They are both amazing fighters.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Calzaghe v Hopkins this weekend.

I'm not sure what time the fight is approx. on but it's another early one for us fans.

I've got a good feeling about this. I don't believe Hopkins is as good as he used to be and Calzaghe is just as strong as ever.

I can see this going the distance but for Calzaghe to win, he needs to win by a mile as we know what the Las Vegas judges are like!

calzaghe will have to k.o hopkins to win the fight. Vegas, the judges, you know the score.

hopkins loves the camera and the talking, he can talk thats for sure. i've been watching the build up and some of his comments are unbelievable, he's even taking cheap shots at joe's old man!

I think Calzaghe on points - even in Vegas. He'll just throw too many punches for the old man.

As long as Joe's hands are ok - I just see him having too much for The Executioner.

Really looking forward to this one.

What he said. Totally agree.

Mark - should be between 3am and 4am.

I see Audley Harrison is fighting tonight on the undercard in Las Vegas. The 'A-Force' is once again saying how he's going to relaunch his career and prove the doubters wrong.

In his 22nd professional fight he is going in against Jason Barnett, a man who has won 10 and lost 6 professional bouts. 2 of these defeats have been by disqualification. You can watch a handful of his fights on Youtube and Fraudley should and will beat him.

Fortunately I don't think the hype that he had before his crushing defeat to Michael Sprott will ever resurface regardless of his result against Barnett tonight.

Saw Naseem Hamed on SSN talking after Friday fight night. God, he has let it go. Shame, as he was once one of the most exciting boxers I've seen.

It was quite a funny interview though, something along the lines of...

Interviewer: "Nas, will we see you making a comeback"

Hamed :"I've never actually retired and watching that I feel that maybe some fire still burns in my belly."

Interviewer "Yeah but your belly is a lot bigger than it used to be!"

:lol:

Hamed's problem is that he was always too unorthodox to be top class. He destroyed everybody till he fought Barrera then got completely outclassed. He knew it so never bothered fighting again.

I see Audley Harrison is fighting tonight on the undercard in Las Vegas. The 'A-Force' is once again saying how he's going to relaunch his career and prove the doubters wrong.

In his 22nd professional fight he is going in against Jason Barnett, a man who has won 10 and lost 6 professional bouts. 2 of these defeats have been by disqualification. You can watch a handful of his fights on Youtube and Fraudley should and will beat him.

Fortunately I don't think the hype that he had before his crushing defeat to Michael Sprott will ever resurface regardless of his result against Barnett tonight.

I really wish he'd give it up. Fraudley - never has a nickname been more apt.

i thought for sure he was gonna get jipped by the american judges, GET IN THERE !

how can any "fighter" take pride in running, butting and cheating like hopkins did ? do all the american fighteres cheat ? it doesnt seem like any of them want a fight, maybbe its tactics i know but cmon theres tactics and theres looking like a wimp

anyway im chuffed , ###### n knackered

well done joe !

I'm a huge fan of Calzaghe but I thought Hopkins won the fight. He knocked Joe down in the first, won the next 3 rounds by superior boxing skill, and then kept things pretty even by ring-craft. I can only remember Calzaghe winning 2 or 3 rounds outright - the rest were very tight.

Still, makes a change for a Brit to win a tight one in the States.

I used to be a big Hopkins fan, but he disappointed me, not only with the performance, but with his general holding, overreacting, etc. Sorry for those who stayed up so late for such a bad fight.

Hopkins quite poor, cheap, and just overal dirty tonight. His need to grab, hold down, late hit, low blow and clutch left me with a horrid taste in my mouth after the fight. (As if you couldn't tell) The fight had the makings to be great, and it was for Calzaghe, who adapted to and overcame the BS tactics.

I'm a huge fan of Calzaghe but I thought Hopkins won the fight. He knocked Joe down in the first, won the next 3 rounds by superior boxing skill, and then kept things pretty even by ring-craft. I can only remember Calzaghe winning 2 or 3 rounds outright - the rest were very tight.

Still, makes a change for a Brit to win a tight one in the States.

You are delusional on your 3.2% bitter as it's called ring generalship. HBO showed the final punchstat numbers and besides that clearcut statistical evidence, Calzaghe was pressing for the whole fight. Hopkins is a smart fighter but he couldn't stop Calzaghe. Stick to football mate.

You are delusional on your 3.2% bitter as it's called ring generalship. HBO showed the final punchstat numbers and besides that clearcut statistical evidence, Calzaghe was pressing for the whole fight. Hopkins is a smart fighter but he couldn't stop Calzaghe. Stick to football mate.

It's all about opinions. I didn't like the way at all the Hopkins was holding and feigning tbe low blows. However that shouldn't really be influencing the judges too much as the ref was allowing it as a legitimate spoiling tactic (the holding that is!). Calzaghe was pressing and threw many more punches. However sometimes it's quality not quantity and most of the good shots came from Hopkins.

I'm not saying Joe didn't win but it was very close, he was definitely 4 points down after 3 rounds and there wasn't really a round when he was consistently landing good shots on Hopkins. The Judge who scored in 116-111 and gave him 9 rounds must have been on something much stronger that 3.2% bitter.

Archived