BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boxing Thread

Calling for him to quit because he lost one fight? That's one of the many things that's rotten in boxing. Why is it so important to be undefeated? For the majority of unbeaten fighters, that basically means they haven't fought anyone any good.

Thats exactly why. The ones that remain undefeated after a few big fights are revered as the best in the World. The sporting World, in particular Boxing, is obsessed with greatness, and that's how it's achieved.

As far as Hatton in MMA goes, not a chance. The Lightweight division in the UFC starts at 155, and he's too small for that. Add to that the far greater earning potential in Boxing.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thats exactly why. The ones that remain undefeated after a few big fights are revered as the best in the World. The sporting World, in particular Boxing, is obsessed with greatness, and that's how it's achieved.

Don't you think that having a load of boxers with massive unbeaten records devalues the whole sport?

I don't reckon many fans are falling for it anymore. Even Audley Harrison won 19 in a row before being matched against somebody who might fight back. Ricky Hatton enjoyed a far longer winning streak than Muhammad Ali or Mike Tyson, both of whom completely dominated the sport at their peak.

Thank god Muhammed Ali didn't retire when he lost his first fight!

Hatton is a great boxer who has entertained us fans for years and unfortunately he lost against the best pound for pound fighter on the planet. There is no shame in that. I can't wait for him to show some 'bouncebackability' and defeat his next opponent in style.

I'm not doubting the fact that Hatton is good, the problem I see for him is who is his next opponent going to be? That is the only reason why I'd say he may well need to look at retirement. There's no one really worthwhile for him to fight unless he want to take a big risk. I just don't see a point in him returning to the UK so that he can fight mediocre boxers no one will remember (yes, I know he has beaten a couple of good fighters, but really only a couple).

Don't you think that having a load of boxers with massive unbeaten records devalues the whole sport?

I don't reckon many fans are falling for it anymore. Even Audley Harrison won 19 in a row before being matched against somebody who might fight back. Ricky Hatton enjoyed a far longer winning streak than Muhammad Ali or Mike Tyson, both of whom completely dominated the sport at their peak.

I don't think it devalues the sport because your original point was spot on - it's not taken seriously until they face some other World class opponents. When two great unbeaten fighters face each other it's always big news - hence the PPV at the weekend being titled "Undefeated" and being so widely watched.

I'm not doubting the fact that Hatton is good, the problem I see for him is who is his next opponent going to be? That is the only reason why I'd say he may well need to look at retirement. There's no one really worthwhile for him to fight unless he want to take a big risk. I just don't see a point in him returning to the UK so that he can fight mediocre boxers no one will remember (yes, I know he has beaten a couple of good fighters, but really only a couple).

Junior Witter, Paulie Malignaggi or Paul Williams. Depending on if he wants to fight next in the States or 'give something back to the British fans' as has been mentioned. Hatton has options. As long as he is looking to build towards a rematch with PBF, it's worth continuing.

There is some truth to it, but it isn't entirely true. For example, the French were very happy and proud with their of their team for making it to the World Cup Final, even though they lost. Sometimes you have to understand that you can't win it all, but that you achieved something great by getting as far as you did. Sometimes we go too far with it, I certainly think we did in the case of Hamilton and Hatton. The rugby team is a bit different as no one expected them to make it as far as they did, so that was a real achievement. Hamilton essentially blew it, so it isn't the same. While Hatton went into a fight as the underdog, but was totally outclassed.

I can't be bothered reading the full article as the start of it is just rubbish. In the instances of Hamilton, Hatton and the Rugby World Cup team, every one of them started as the underdog and in most peoples eyes put up a better than expected showing.

In the examples compared to them, the Australian ashes team and France against Scotland were both red hot favourites.

I can't be bothered reading the full article as the start of it is just rubbish. In the instances of Hamilton, Hatton and the Rugby World Cup team, every one of them started as the underdog and in most peoples eyes put up a better than expected showing.

In the examples compared to them, the Australian ashes team and France against Scotland were both red hot favourites.

Yes they were all underdogs but the way they 'bigged' Hatton up in the Media, it didn't look that way. Every pundit on Sky Box Office also said Hatton would win but after the fight they say he was very 'brave'. Whats all that about? He lost, there's no 2 ways about it, he wasn't good enough.

Hamilton you can understand because nobody expected him to be in that position when he first came into F1, he punched above his weight.

Yes they were all underdogs but the way they 'bigged' Hatton up in the Media, it didn't look that way. Every pundit on Sky Box Office also said Hatton would win

If every pundit had said that they thought Mayweather was different class and Hatton was limited it would hardly sell Box Office subscriptions would it.

Hatton was an underdog who gave everything but wasn't good enough.

Either way the link still is drivel and contains completely unrealistic comparisons. Doesnt it?

If every pundit had said that they thought Mayweather was different class and Hatton was limited it would hardly sell Box Office subscriptions would it.

Hatton was an underdog who gave everything but wasn't good enough.

Either way the link still is drivel and contains completely unrealistic comparisons. Doesnt it?

Hatton was suppose to be an underdog but the British public were so confident of a win he wern't the underdog after all.

He did not give everything, if thats the best he could do, Mayweather was right in saying 'Hatton should be appreciative that he's in the same ring as me'!

Hatton was suppose to be an underdog but the British public were so confident of a win he wern't the underdog after all.

He was the underdog. Trust me as I backed Mayweather at 4/7. Most experts in the daily papers were predicting Mayweather to win. It was only the more vocal jingoistic press, the hardcore Hatton support and the people who knew little about boxing that said otherwise.

He did not give everything, if thats the best he could do, Mayweather was right in saying 'Hatton should be appreciative that he's in the same ring as me'!

That was the best he could do and maybe Mayweather was right - maybe he should be appreciative to be in the same ring. However for you to say Hatton "did not give everything" makes you sound plain silly.

Yeah, Hatton was underdog. The bookies even kept him at underdog despite the amount of money that was going on him, that says a lot. The vast majority of experts said Mayweather would win.

As for him not giving his best, I think yuo can tell by the comments Mayweather made after the fight that he knew he had been up against someone who had put it all on the line. He may have been outclassed, but he wasn't outfought.

If you get the chance, watch the replay of Alex Arthur against Steve Foster on Setanta this afternoon, the fight of the year.

I watched it - and was not disappointed. Foster started off well - but then faded and after he was knocked down it looked all over. The fight looked to be heading for a comfortable points win to Arthur, until from nowhere Foster landed a huge right hand nearly knocking Arthur out the ring. If Foster could have landed one more big hit that round it would have been all-over, but Arthur hung on for the win. Brilliant fight.

What's everyones opinion on the weight Hatton was against Mayweather? He was 153lbs, the same as when he fought Castillo at light-welter. Should he have gone into the ring heavier than that - or maybe even slightly lighter? The opinion was it worked against Castillo - so why not Floyd - but I didn't think he was looking that impressive against Castillo until the knock-out.

For a start Castillo is just not in the class of mayweather. Throughout hs career PBM has had the guile to avoid being hit through his defences in the face, therefore the body shot would be paramount, a strength of Hatton's but he just didnt have the power to trouble him. Even though there was only 2lb difference it looked like a light-welter against a welter, with Floyds big reach advantage being an example of that.

To be honest without Mayweather I think Hatton would be a big threat in the division, De la Hoya/Hatton would still be a very good fight in my opinion, but Mayweather is a once in a generaton fighter.

For a start Castillo is just not in the class of mayweather. Throughout hs career PBM has had the guile to avoid being hit through his defences in the face, therefore the body shot would be paramount, a strength of Hatton's but he just didnt have the power to trouble him. Even though there was only 2lb difference it looked like a light-welter against a welter, with Floyds big reach advantage being an example of that.

So my point is - why didn't they send Hatton into the ring heavier if he needed more power? He went in at 153 - but could have easily gone in at 157/158/159.

For me it is difficult to know, because Hatton really messed up his strategy. He had to attack the body, as people have said, but he didn't really do that. He lost it and simply threw a lot of punches, a crazy number of punches, but landed very few. He needed to be more controlled and composed.

So my point is - why didn't they send Hatton into the ring heavier if he needed more power? He went in at 153 - but could have easily gone in at 157/158/159.

Presumably he was working his cardio like a mofo as usual.

You can't have it both ways, he is renowned as an animal when it comes to work capacity. You can't maintain that *and* bulk up.

That wasn't a fair fight, and there's no way he's fighting Hoya.

Apparently it's five more fights and he's retiring. I don't think another five will add to hias legacey so why not retire now.

The early part of next year seems to be shaping up -

Jan 5th - Paulie Malignaggi vs Herman Ngoudjo

Jan 12th - Kevin Mitchell vs Carl Johanneson

Jan 19th - Ruslan Chagaev vs Matt Skelton

Jan 19th - Roy Jones Jr vs Felix Trinidad

Feb 16th - Kelly Pavlik vs Jermain Taylor

Feb 23rd - Wladimir Klitschko vs Sultan Ibragimov

Mar 15th - Manny Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel Marquez

Would be even better if Calzaghe vs Hopkins and Haye vs Maccarinelli come off. Speaking of Calzaghe, Jermain Taylor seems to think he'd have a chance against our Joe if he somehow discovers some heart and beats Pavlik -

Taylor enters chase for Calzaghe

Apparently it's five more fights and he's retiring. I don't think another five will add to hias legacey so why not retire now.

Depends entirely on who he fights and if he wins .....!!

Nearly all of the greats suffered big defeats amd came back stronger to enhance their legacies .

Archived